Have you ever refused a med student?

Nightwriter

Hi Sonia,

I know exactly how you feel. If I have to get an I.V., I obsess about it -- hating the thought of it. I ask to be given a tranquilizer an hour before. And a student doing it? No way. No how. By the way, you can always tell if they are students. Their name tags always say what they are. I once had a doctor introduce a bunch of 14 year olds (at least that's what they looked like) as doctors. I looked at their name tags and said, "They're not doctors. They are med students. You shouldn't lie to people." And doctors have the longest coats. I've made a study of this.

The next thing I do if I am going to have an I.V. -- If I know that they are not going to be needing the large vein in the crook of my arm for anything, I ask for a really small needle (I once had a pediatric needle) and I ask them to use that big vein if possible. Usually, anybody can get an I.V. in that one and it doesn't really hurt. I question everyone on what their experience is doing I.V's. Unfortunately, I've made people nervous and that can't be good either. And if you want to know who is great at starting I.V.'s, ask a nurse. They know.

I've even tried that Emla cream that's supposed to numb everything. But you need to apply it an hour before the I.V. is placed for it to be effective.

Also, if you want avoid medical students altogether, you can ask to be on a non-teaching floor if the hospital has one. The downside, is that if you have a problem, only your doctor can take care of you.

And finally, you should always have your doctor put any requests you have in your medical records. Question things that don't seem right to you. And you have the right to say no to anything or anyone. You are paying them a lot of money. Oh, yeah one more tip. If you have to wear a traditional hospital gown, ask for two. One open to the back, the put the other one on like a jacket, open to the front.

Smooth sailing.

Nightwriter

Hi Sonia,

I know exactly how you feel. If I have to get an I.V., I obsess about it -- hating the thought of it. I ask to be given a tranquilizer an hour before. And a student doing it? No way. No how. By the way, you can always tell if they are students. Their name tags always say what they are. I once had a doctor introduce a bunch of 14 year olds (at least that's what they looked like) as doctors. I looked at their name tags and said, "They're not doctors. They are med students. You shouldn't lie to people." And doctors have the longest coats. I've made a study of this.

The next thing I do if I am going to have an I.V. -- If I know that they are not going to be needing the large vein in the crook of my arm for anything, I ask for a really small needle (I once had a pediatric needle) and I ask them to use that big vein if possible. Usually, anybody can get an I.V. in that one and it doesn't really hurt. I question everyone on what their experience is doing I.V's. Unfortunately, I've made people nervous and that can't be good either. And if you want to know who is great at starting I.V.'s, ask a nurse. They know.

I've even tried that Emla cream that's supposed to numb everything. But you need to apply it an hour before the I.V. is placed for it to be effective.

Also, if you want avoid medical students altogether, you can ask to be on a non-teaching floor if the hospital has one. The downside, is that if you have a problem, only your doctor can take care of you.

And finally, you should always have your doctor put any requests you have in your medical records. Question things that don't seem right to you. And you have the right to say no to anything or anyone. You are paying them a lot of money. Oh, yeah one more tip. If you have to wear a traditional hospital gown, ask for two. One open to the back, the put the other one on like a jacket, open to the front.

Smooth sailing.

Nightwriter

Hi Sonia,

Smooth sailing.

Nightwriter

Hi Sonia,

Smooth sailing.

Nightwriter

Hi Sonia,
<br />
<br />I know exactly how you feel. If I have to get an I.V., I obsess about it -- hating the thought of it. I ask to be given a tranquilizer an hour before. And a student doing it? No way. No how. By the way, you can always tell if they are students. Their name tags always say what they are. I once had a doctor introduce a bunch of 14 year olds (at least that's what they looked like) as doctors. I looked at their name tags and said, "They're not doctors. They are med students. You shouldn't lie to people." And doctors have the longest coats. I've made a study of this.
<br />
<br />The next thing I do if I am going to have an I.V. -- If I know that they are not going to be needing the large vein in the crook of my arm for anything, I ask for a really small needle (I once had a pediatric needle) and I ask them to use that big vein if possible. Usually, anybody can get an I.V. in that one and it doesn't really hurt. I question everyone on what their experience is doing I.V's. Unfortunately, I've made people nervous and that can't be good either. And if you want to know who is great at starting I.V.'s, ask a nurse. They know.
<br />
<br />I've even tried that Emla cream that's supposed to numb everything. But you need to apply it an hour before the I.V. is placed for it to be effective.
<br />
<br />Also, if you want avoid medical students altogether, you can ask to be on a non-teaching floor if the hospital has one. The downside, is that if you have a problem, only your doctor can take care of you.
<br />
<br />And finally, you should always have your doctor put any requests you have in your medical records. Question things that don't seem right to you. And you have the right to say no to anything or anyone. You are paying them a lot of money. Oh, yeah one more tip. If you have to wear a traditional hospital gown, ask for two. One open to the back, the put the other one on like a jacket, open to the front.
<br />
<br />Smooth sailing.
<br />

mabusincarnate

i had a newbie doctor a few shifts while i was in last time. i complained to him that my lips and tongue were numb. he tried to explain that i might have a cold sore. i was a little offended that he thought i would confuse a cold sore (which i get sometimes) with an absolute loss of sensation in my lips. a quick google search of my med list answered the problem.

unfortunately my CF center is also a med school. the "real" doc brings 5 or 6 students around for rotations. the bad part is that she also brings the entire staff with her. i get 2 doctors, 5 students, a nurse, and a preacher. that nonsense isn't gonna happen next time. the two docs can come. everyone else can play cellphone tetris in the hall.

mabusincarnate

i had a newbie doctor a few shifts while i was in last time. i complained to him that my lips and tongue were numb. he tried to explain that i might have a cold sore. i was a little offended that he thought i would confuse a cold sore (which i get sometimes) with an absolute loss of sensation in my lips. a quick google search of my med list answered the problem.

unfortunately my CF center is also a med school. the "real" doc brings 5 or 6 students around for rotations. the bad part is that she also brings the entire staff with her. i get 2 doctors, 5 students, a nurse, and a preacher. that nonsense isn't gonna happen next time. the two docs can come. everyone else can play cellphone tetris in the hall.

mabusincarnate

mabusincarnate

mabusincarnate

<br />
<br />unfortunately my CF center is also a med school. the "real" doc brings 5 or 6 students around for rotations. the bad part is that she also brings the entire staff with her. i get 2 doctors, 5 students, a nurse, and a preacher. that nonsense isn't gonna happen next time. the two docs can come. everyone else can play cellphone tetris in the hall.

dswilson67

For a minute I thought my son had wrote the first post. He's a hard stick as well, and the nurses never listen to him. When he went into surgery to get his PICC line in, he too has to be knocked out, it took them 5 pokes to get his IV in. They tried 5 different places on his arm and finally figured out his arm needs to be bent in order to get he vein to cooperate. And then they wonder why he has needle anxiety.

dswilson67

For a minute I thought my son had wrote the first post. He's a hard stick as well, and the nurses never listen to him. When he went into surgery to get his PICC line in, he too has to be knocked out, it took them 5 pokes to get his IV in. They tried 5 different places on his arm and finally figured out his arm needs to be bent in order to get he vein to cooperate. And then they wonder why he has needle anxiety.

dswilson67

dswilson67

dswilson67