Have you ever refused a med student?

dukeblue1206

I think its within your right to refuse a medical student. I have done it. They might not like it but oh well. I use to not have a problem with it until i had a really bad experience when i was 16. I was admitted and a med student came in to start an IV. Well after 4 tries and tears from me, i told him to stop and get someone who knew what they were doing. He says "let me try one more time" to which i said "if you try one more time I'm going to stick that needle in your eye." He was at a loss for words but i was full of words. Many of which where very colorful and inapropraite but fit the situation perfect at that time in my eyes..hehe..He left, a nurse came in, stuck me and got it the first time. She asked me what i had said to him cause he seemed rattled when he asked for her to come do my IV. When i told her, she laughed and said good for me. She said "he is a cocky ***** anyway."...lol...So unless they want needles in their eyes, i refuse med students for anything having to do with needles.

dukeblue1206

I think its within your right to refuse a medical student. I have done it. They might not like it but oh well. I use to not have a problem with it until i had a really bad experience when i was 16. I was admitted and a med student came in to start an IV. Well after 4 tries and tears from me, i told him to stop and get someone who knew what they were doing. He says "let me try one more time" to which i said "if you try one more time I'm going to stick that needle in your eye." He was at a loss for words but i was full of words. Many of which where very colorful and inapropraite but fit the situation perfect at that time in my eyes..hehe..He left, a nurse came in, stuck me and got it the first time. She asked me what i had said to him cause he seemed rattled when he asked for her to come do my IV. When i told her, she laughed and said good for me. She said "he is a cocky ***** anyway."...lol...So unless they want needles in their eyes, i refuse med students for anything having to do with needles.

dukeblue1206

dukeblue1206

dukeblue1206

julie

Not out of line at all Sonia. Working in the medical profession myself, I've heard/seen it happen a handful of times. There are pleanty of people who don't mind IV's and are willing to let someone stab them hundreds of times before they've had enough (trust me, I'm one of them, I'm the test person for all the newbies at work!!!)

I would just advise you/recommend that you make that known before the student gets brought in to actually do it. That way it avoids hurting their feelings and embarassing them. Sometimes its unavoidable, and of course you have the right to make such request and aren't doing it to intentionally hurt them. But being human and all, feelings do get hurt sometimes. So if you can, just mention it at the beginning of the whole process.

julie

Not out of line at all Sonia. Working in the medical profession myself, I've heard/seen it happen a handful of times. There are pleanty of people who don't mind IV's and are willing to let someone stab them hundreds of times before they've had enough (trust me, I'm one of them, I'm the test person for all the newbies at work!!!)

I would just advise you/recommend that you make that known before the student gets brought in to actually do it. That way it avoids hurting their feelings and embarassing them. Sometimes its unavoidable, and of course you have the right to make such request and aren't doing it to intentionally hurt them. But being human and all, feelings do get hurt sometimes. So if you can, just mention it at the beginning of the whole process.

julie

julie

julie

<br />
<br />I would just advise you/recommend that you make that known before the student gets brought in to actually do it. That way it avoids hurting their feelings and embarassing them. Sometimes its unavoidable, and of course you have the right to make such request and aren't doing it to intentionally hurt them. But being human and all, feelings do get hurt sometimes. So if you can, just mention it at the beginning of the whole process.

ladybug

Thank you for all of the suggestions! And I'm so glad to know I'm not the ONLY person who has ever felt the need to "put my foot down". The last student who tried 4 times actually said, "wow, i've NEVER seen a vein just roll away... i can't FIND it!" So, I know I'm a hard stick when I'm nervous. And I'm ALWAYS nervous! LOL.

I plan on letting the doc know my feelings in case he wants to put it in the notes AND letting the admitting nurse know so she can pass it along to the lab when they come to do it. Its funny, cause whenever I"m in the ER or have just a regular nurse do the IV, it goes really well and they usually get it first stick, so its almost like I can "sense" its not going to go well if a student comes in to do it. BUT, the weird thing is I didn't KNOW it was a student last time and it still went so crappy.

Anyway, thanks for all the great replies. I appreciate it sooo much!

ladybug

Thank you for all of the suggestions! And I'm so glad to know I'm not the ONLY person who has ever felt the need to "put my foot down". The last student who tried 4 times actually said, "wow, i've NEVER seen a vein just roll away... i can't FIND it!" So, I know I'm a hard stick when I'm nervous. And I'm ALWAYS nervous! LOL.

I plan on letting the doc know my feelings in case he wants to put it in the notes AND letting the admitting nurse know so she can pass it along to the lab when they come to do it. Its funny, cause whenever I"m in the ER or have just a regular nurse do the IV, it goes really well and they usually get it first stick, so its almost like I can "sense" its not going to go well if a student comes in to do it. BUT, the weird thing is I didn't KNOW it was a student last time and it still went so crappy.

ladybug

ladybug

ladybug

<br />
<br />I plan on letting the doc know my feelings in case he wants to put it in the notes AND letting the admitting nurse know so she can pass it along to the lab when they come to do it. Its funny, cause whenever I"m in the ER or have just a regular nurse do the IV, it goes really well and they usually get it first stick, so its almost like I can "sense" its not going to go well if a student comes in to do it. BUT, the weird thing is I didn't KNOW it was a student last time and it still went so crappy.
<br />
<br />Anyway, thanks for all the great replies. I appreciate it sooo much!
<br />
<br />

nick9742

I'd certainly let them know how you feel and that you'd prefer someone qualified do the job. If they care, so what. Ask for someone else entirely if that happens. I've not dealt with this problem before, but I have dealt with student nurses.

They were allowing him to flush my PICC line and he didn't even understand how to unscrew the flush syringe from the PICC and tried to pry it off with scissors. He broke the syringe tip off into the PICC and rendered it useless. I had to have the whole thing replaced the next day because it wasn't a screwoff tip. The staff management heard from me and my mom also yelled at them over it. We asked that he be taken away from all my care that point forward. We didn't see him again. In fact he seemed scared to come back in, he only peeked in the door right after that.

nick9742

I'd certainly let them know how you feel and that you'd prefer someone qualified do the job. If they care, so what. Ask for someone else entirely if that happens. I've not dealt with this problem before, but I have dealt with student nurses.

They were allowing him to flush my PICC line and he didn't even understand how to unscrew the flush syringe from the PICC and tried to pry it off with scissors. He broke the syringe tip off into the PICC and rendered it useless. I had to have the whole thing replaced the next day because it wasn't a screwoff tip. The staff management heard from me and my mom also yelled at them over it. We asked that he be taken away from all my care that point forward. We didn't see him again. In fact he seemed scared to come back in, he only peeked in the door right after that.

nick9742

nick9742

nick9742

<br />
<br />They were allowing him to flush my PICC line and he didn't even understand how to unscrew the flush syringe from the PICC and tried to pry it off with scissors. He broke the syringe tip off into the PICC and rendered it useless. I had to have the whole thing replaced the next day because it wasn't a screwoff tip. The staff management heard from me and my mom also yelled at them over it. We asked that he be taken away from all my care that point forward. We didn't see him again. In fact he seemed scared to come back in, he only peeked in the door right after that.