Having children

Lilith

Okey dokey, my turn!

First of all, Claudette...I agree with you whole-heartedly.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>julie</b></i>

However, in my opinion, many things we do in life are selfish. And I believe that anyone who sees it differently is in denial. Every day I do something that benefits ME in one way or another. Maybe not just me, but part of the outcome is beneficial for me.</end quote></div>

I agree. Many (if not practically all) things we do in life are for selfish reasons. However, I believe the line should be drawn at willingly bringing a human being into the world with a deadly illness, just to satisfy that selfish impulse.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>65rosessamurai</b></i>

IF, you say "CF'rs shouldn't have children", then why stop there?? Why not just say "CF'rs shouldn't get married", or "CF'rs shouldn't find love", since the result of marriage is always been to have children, anyway, much less, as you put it, having a "selfishness" to have someone to be in matrimony with for the rest of your short life?</end quote></div>

I agree with the second part of what you said, Fred, about drawing someone else into such a possibly short relationship. Which is why I tried to push Rick away. He decided to stay, that was his choice. I just decided to stop fighting him.

Now, as far as the "CF'ers shouldn't get married or fall in love" part, I couldn't disagree with you more. I am happily in love, would be married if I could, and still would not reproduce. In fact, Rick and I have decided that, if I do accidentally get pregnant (though we take every possible precaution against it), the fetus will be aborted. We don't want children, period, and are very much in love. So it is possible.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Vampy</b></i>

One its in nature to us want to have babies we are women we reproduce thats what we do.</end quote></div>

This is where I'm probably going to get in trouble, but oh well. I agree in principal, yes, women have a primal need to reproduce. Its basic nature. However, there are some women who have the presence of mind and willpower to ignore that urge if it means knowingly risking a child's life. As <b>blondelaywer</b> said; "Woman have more to offer society than the ability to bear children. ...I was not put on this earth so that I could have a child." To that I say, "Well said!!"

Of course, this entire topic could be avoided if people would simply use the options available to them, i.e. adoption and IVF? I've heard people complain that both of these options are "too expensive". Guess what? Cf ain't exactly cheap, either!! *sigh*

Lilith

Okey dokey, my turn!

However, in my opinion, many things we do in life are selfish. And I believe that anyone who sees it differently is in denial. Every day I do something that benefits ME in one way or another. Maybe not just me, but part of the outcome is beneficial for me.</end quote></div>

I agree. Many (if not practically all) things we do in life are for selfish reasons. However, I believe the line should be drawn at willingly bringing a human being into the world with a deadly illness, just to satisfy that selfish impulse.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>65rosessamurai</b></i>

IF, you say "CF'rs shouldn't have children", then why stop there?? Why not just say "CF'rs shouldn't get married", or "CF'rs shouldn't find love", since the result of marriage is always been to have children, anyway, much less, as you put it, having a "selfishness" to have someone to be in matrimony with for the rest of your short life?</end quote></div>

I agree with the second part of what you said, Fred, about drawing someone else into such a possibly short relationship. Which is why I tried to push Rick away. He decided to stay, that was his choice. I just decided to stop fighting him.

Now, as far as the "CF'ers shouldn't get married or fall in love" part, I couldn't disagree with you more. I am happily in love, would be married if I could, and still would not reproduce. In fact, Rick and I have decided that, if I do accidentally get pregnant (though we take every possible precaution against it), the fetus will be aborted. We don't want children, period, and are very much in love. So it is possible.

One its in nature to us want to have babies we are women we reproduce thats what we do.</end quote></div>

This is where I'm probably going to get in trouble, but oh well. I agree in principal, yes, women have a primal need to reproduce. Its basic nature. However, there are some women who have the presence of mind and willpower to ignore that urge if it means knowingly risking a child's life. As <b>blondelaywer</b> said; "Woman have more to offer society than the ability to bear children. ...I was not put on this earth so that I could have a child." To that I say, "Well said!!"

Of course, this entire topic could be avoided if people would simply use the options available to them, i.e. adoption and IVF? I've heard people complain that both of these options are "too expensive". Guess what? Cf ain't exactly cheap, either!! *sigh*

Lilith

Okey dokey, my turn!

Lilith

Okey dokey, my turn!

Lilith

Okey dokey, my turn!

However, in my opinion, many things we do in life are selfish. And I believe that anyone who sees it differently is in denial. Every day I do something that benefits ME in one way or another. Maybe not just me, but part of the outcome is beneficial for me.</end quote>

IF, you say "CF'rs shouldn't have children", then why stop there?? Why not just say "CF'rs shouldn't get married", or "CF'rs shouldn't find love", since the result of marriage is always been to have children, anyway, much less, as you put it, having a "selfishness" to have someone to be in matrimony with for the rest of your short life?</end quote>

One its in nature to us want to have babies we are women we reproduce thats what we do.</end quote>

Lilith

Okey dokey, my turn!

However, in my opinion, many things we do in life are selfish. And I believe that anyone who sees it differently is in denial. Every day I do something that benefits ME in one way or another. Maybe not just me, but part of the outcome is beneficial for me.</end quote>

IF, you say "CF'rs shouldn't have children", then why stop there?? Why not just say "CF'rs shouldn't get married", or "CF'rs shouldn't find love", since the result of marriage is always been to have children, anyway, much less, as you put it, having a "selfishness" to have someone to be in matrimony with for the rest of your short life?</end quote>

One its in nature to us want to have babies we are women we reproduce thats what we do.</end quote>

Emily65Roses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>sakasuka</b></i>
Fred you don't see the difference subjectiving a baby, toddler and child to being without a parent when they die - and prior to that playing second fiddle to a time-consuming disease?

The spouse has a choice, is an adult, and can make decisions for his/herself.

A child cannot. </end quote></div>

Agreed. Big difference between allowing an adult to go into the relationship knowing what will come and choosing to enter it anyway... and birthing a child to the same situation where they have no knowledge or choice in the matter.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Lilith</b></i>
This is where I'm probably going to get in trouble, but oh well. I agree in principal, yes, women have a primal need to reproduce. Its basic nature. However, there are some women who have the presence of mind and willpower to ignore that urge if it means knowingly risking a child's life. As blondelaywer said; "Woman have more to offer society than the ability to bear children. ...I was not put on this earth so that I could have a child." To that I say, "Well said!!"</end quote></div>

Agreeing here too. Women do have an instinctual primal urge to reproduce. Men also have a natural instinct to spread their seed. And not every man runs around impregnating every women he can get his hands on. Same theory for women. Not every female runs around being a sperm bank.

If there are other reasons, do what you like. But I hope no one here or anywhere had/will have children because it's "instinct." Yikes.

Emily65Roses

Fred you don't see the difference subjectiving a baby, toddler and child to being without a parent when they die - and prior to that playing second fiddle to a time-consuming disease?

Agreed. Big difference between allowing an adult to go into the relationship knowing what will come and choosing to enter it anyway... and birthing a child to the same situation where they have no knowledge or choice in the matter.

This is where I'm probably going to get in trouble, but oh well. I agree in principal, yes, women have a primal need to reproduce. Its basic nature. However, there are some women who have the presence of mind and willpower to ignore that urge if it means knowingly risking a child's life. As blondelaywer said; "Woman have more to offer society than the ability to bear children. ...I was not put on this earth so that I could have a child." To that I say, "Well said!!"</end quote></div>

Agreeing here too. Women do have an instinctual primal urge to reproduce. Men also have a natural instinct to spread their seed. And not every man runs around impregnating every women he can get his hands on. Same theory for women. Not every female runs around being a sperm bank.

If there are other reasons, do what you like. But I hope no one here or anywhere had/will have children because it's "instinct." Yikes.

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

A child cannot. </end quote>

This is where I'm probably going to get in trouble, but oh well. I agree in principal, yes, women have a primal need to reproduce. Its basic nature. However, there are some women who have the presence of mind and willpower to ignore that urge if it means knowingly risking a child's life. As blondelaywer said; "Woman have more to offer society than the ability to bear children. ...I was not put on this earth so that I could have a child." To that I say, "Well said!!"</end quote>

Emily65Roses

A child cannot. </end quote>

This is where I'm probably going to get in trouble, but oh well. I agree in principal, yes, women have a primal need to reproduce. Its basic nature. However, there are some women who have the presence of mind and willpower to ignore that urge if it means knowingly risking a child's life. As blondelaywer said; "Woman have more to offer society than the ability to bear children. ...I was not put on this earth so that I could have a child." To that I say, "Well said!!"</end quote>

julie

Loulou, I love your post on here. I couldn't agree more to the catering to children and allowing disgusting behavior to be "ok". I'm no perfect parent, but on days I have duty, I just don't see the kids that evening. They go to bed at their regular bedtime, I think keeping them up would be knowingly and intentionally selfish.

Same thing about going out/working around our schedule. We aren't much of a social family anymore because their sleep and their needs (let me clairify between needs and wants) come first.

This seems to be ignored a lot in society today and I think it's creating very selfish people. a little off topic but I wanted to comment

julie

Loulou, I love your post on here. I couldn't agree more to the catering to children and allowing disgusting behavior to be "ok". I'm no perfect parent, but on days I have duty, I just don't see the kids that evening. They go to bed at their regular bedtime, I think keeping them up would be knowingly and intentionally selfish.

Same thing about going out/working around our schedule. We aren't much of a social family anymore because their sleep and their needs (let me clairify between needs and wants) come first.

This seems to be ignored a lot in society today and I think it's creating very selfish people. a little off topic but I wanted to comment

julie

julie

julie

julie

65rosessamurai

Edited: Striking original comment because it's a waste of my time to explain my opinion...maybe that' selfish, but oh well! Not the first, and won't be the last time I've been accused of being selfish.
Besides, my comment was what I found to be in general, and none of it is explicitely my personal point of view. i.e. not everyone has to take care of their parents, and not everyone expects their children to take care of them, much less the ONLY reason for children is that reason, but in many cases the parents get to a point where they cannot help/support themselves, and their children end up in the situation to care for them. I, do not in any way have any enjoyment, much less selfishness, in taking care of the MIL, but with her situation, she cannot be left alone, that's inhumane!
On a final note, it is my life, my decisions, and me who has to accept consequences to bad decisions, and I've already done my share of bad decisions (haven't we all at one time or another?). All those who agree with me will support me, as I would support their views that I agree with. All those who oppose my decisions, opinions, just don't <b>SHOVE</b> your opinions down my throat!
One of these days, I'll learn my boundaries of expressing my opinions and private matters.

65rosessamurai

Edited: Striking original comment because it's a waste of my time to explain my opinion...maybe that' selfish, but oh well! Not the first, and won't be the last time I've been accused of being selfish.
Besides, my comment was what I found to be in general, and none of it is explicitely my personal point of view. i.e. not everyone has to take care of their parents, and not everyone expects their children to take care of them, much less the ONLY reason for children is that reason, but in many cases the parents get to a point where they cannot help/support themselves, and their children end up in the situation to care for them. I, do not in any way have any enjoyment, much less selfishness, in taking care of the MIL, but with her situation, she cannot be left alone, that's inhumane!
On a final note, it is my life, my decisions, and me who has to accept consequences to bad decisions, and I've already done my share of bad decisions (haven't we all at one time or another?). All those who agree with me will support me, as I would support their views that I agree with. All those who oppose my decisions, opinions, just don't <b>SHOVE</b> your opinions down my throat!
One of these days, I'll learn my boundaries of expressing my opinions and private matters.