Help/advice?

DarbSkull

If you have made it to 28 without too many problems, you should be able to live to a ripe old age with aggressive treatment of your CF. I myself wasn't diagnosed until I was 29, and by that time my FEV1 was 81%. It's has varied with the different doctors I've seen, but my latest test a month ago it was 79%. My current doctor that I've been seeing for about 2.5 years is extremely aggressive and has me feeling better than I have since way before I was diagnosed. Of course, it is a pretty big commitment doing what needs to be done (nebs, physio, IVs) but you're worth it and you're family is worth it.

DarbSkull

If you have made it to 28 without too many problems, you should be able to live to a ripe old age with aggressive treatment of your CF. I myself wasn't diagnosed until I was 29, and by that time my FEV1 was 81%. It's has varied with the different doctors I've seen, but my latest test a month ago it was 79%. My current doctor that I've been seeing for about 2.5 years is extremely aggressive and has me feeling better than I have since way before I was diagnosed. Of course, it is a pretty big commitment doing what needs to be done (nebs, physio, IVs) but you're worth it and you're family is worth it.

DarbSkull

DarbSkull

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>InTheZone</b></i>
I was thinking that maybe it would nto be fair on her or the kid (s) as I might not be around long enough to really see them grow up. </end quote></div>

This is what concerns most people that dont believe CFers should become parents. It has become a heated argument on here a few times. When I was pregnant my hubby assured me he could handle being a single parent & my sisters & best friend said they would make sure my daughter knew about me etc. I found that the toll that I didnt expect was the progression itself. The limitations & lack of ability I have compared to what I want or my daughter deserves. My going into the hospital etc upsets her. It never dawned on me that all that would be just as bad as my actual death. So your being scared & concerned is valid, but dont make any decisions FOR your girl. Make them TOGETHER so both sides are heard & known!

JazzysMom

I was thinking that maybe it would nto be fair on her or the kid (s) as I might not be around long enough to really see them grow up. </end quote></div>

This is what concerns most people that dont believe CFers should become parents. It has become a heated argument on here a few times. When I was pregnant my hubby assured me he could handle being a single parent & my sisters & best friend said they would make sure my daughter knew about me etc. I found that the toll that I didnt expect was the progression itself. The limitations & lack of ability I have compared to what I want or my daughter deserves. My going into the hospital etc upsets her. It never dawned on me that all that would be just as bad as my actual death. So your being scared & concerned is valid, but dont make any decisions FOR your girl. Make them TOGETHER so both sides are heard & known!

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

I was thinking that maybe it would nto be fair on her or the kid (s) as I might not be around long enough to really see them grow up. </end quote>

JazzysMom

I was thinking that maybe it would nto be fair on her or the kid (s) as I might not be around long enough to really see them grow up. </end quote>

NoExcuses

Recently my FEV1 has dropped to 2.8 from 3 and was 3.2. A few years a go it was 4, back when I was exercising a lot.

Its been 2 years since I was in hospital or on IV's at home.

</end quote></div>

If you're going to have children (which I am against because I think it's selfish and not in the child's best interest), you should be more proactive about your health.

That's a huge drop in FEV1.... you should have been on IV's to slow or stop that downward progression.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> She is willing to adopt or get a sperm donor. </end quote></div>

Adoption is a wonderful option. And if she's willing to do with, I don't see what the problem is. I agree with your friends - she's a smart woman. If she wants to be with you, there's no reason to push her away.

It sounds like you might have some issues with getting close to people that you may way to work out.

NoExcuses

Recently my FEV1 has dropped to 2.8 from 3 and was 3.2. A few years a go it was 4, back when I was exercising a lot.

</end quote></div>

If you're going to have children (which I am against because I think it's selfish and not in the child's best interest), you should be more proactive about your health.

That's a huge drop in FEV1.... you should have been on IV's to slow or stop that downward progression.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> She is willing to adopt or get a sperm donor. </end quote></div>

Adoption is a wonderful option. And if she's willing to do with, I don't see what the problem is. I agree with your friends - she's a smart woman. If she wants to be with you, there's no reason to push her away.

It sounds like you might have some issues with getting close to people that you may way to work out.

NoExcuses

</end quote></div>

NoExcuses

</end quote></div>

NoExcuses

</end quote>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> She is willing to adopt or get a sperm donor. </end quote>

NoExcuses

</end quote>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote> She is willing to adopt or get a sperm donor. </end quote>

NoExcuses

. I was thinking that maybe it would nto be fair on the kid (s) as I might not be around long enough to really see them grow up..</end quote></div>

Ah, I'm impressed to see you have the ability to think outside of yourself.

Bravo! *tips my hat to you*

NoExcuses

. I was thinking that maybe it would nto be fair on the kid (s) as I might not be around long enough to really see them grow up..</end quote></div>

NoExcuses

NoExcuses