Help me work this out

janddburke

Jess has a friend who has invited her to her beach house from Saturday thru Wednesday.
Her usual routine included 2 vest therapies a day
1 with HTS and Pulmozyme
1 with HTS only.

she'll do therapy before she leaves on Saturday (for as long as I can get her to sit still, but at least 45 minutes. usually only 30)
and other when she gets back on Wednesday (or two if we can fit in at least 4 hours apart)

what are your thoughts on missing therapy and nebulizer treatments for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday?

How can I help her make this work?

janddburke

Jess has a friend who has invited her to her beach house from Saturday thru Wednesday.
1 with HTS and Pulmozyme
1 with HTS only.

she'll do therapy before she leaves on Saturday (for as long as I can get her to sit still, but at least 45 minutes. usually only 30)
and other when she gets back on Wednesday (or two if we can fit in at least 4 hours apart)

what are your thoughts on missing therapy and nebulizer treatments for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday?

janddburke

1 with HTS and Pulmozyme
1 with HTS only.

janddburke

1 with HTS and Pulmozyme
1 with HTS only.

janddburke

1 with HTS and Pulmozyme
1 with HTS only.

consmom

Can she use the vest herself? Can you show her friend's parents how to use the vest? what about the accepelo ( ooh probably killed that spelling ) I have to admit we have missed a treatment here and there if we have been travelling. What about calling the CF clinic and asking them? they may say it is ok and give some good alternatives. The kids need to be kids too. See I am bad and I would use this for some major blackmail like sitting for the whole time during the treatments before and after returning lol

consmom

Can she use the vest herself? Can you show her friend's parents how to use the vest? what about the accepelo ( ooh probably killed that spelling ) I have to admit we have missed a treatment here and there if we have been travelling. What about calling the CF clinic and asking them? they may say it is ok and give some good alternatives. The kids need to be kids too. See I am bad and I would use this for some major blackmail like sitting for the whole time during the treatments before and after returning lol

consmom

consmom

consmom

izemmom

I say don't let her skip treatments. At 12 she certainly can do the vest by herself, and the nebs, too. Give her friend's parents a quick lesson, stress to them the importance of her doing them everyday, and then send her off to the beach with her swimsuit, towel, nebcups (enought so that they don't have to worry about washing or sterilizing...), meds and vest. Unless of course the beach house doesn't have electricity, in which case, well, I'm not sure.

I realize that my kid is younger and I don't have to deal with the preteen issues yet. But, IMO, the fact that she is a preteen is all the more reason to insist that treatments get done religiously. You are right around the corner from out and out noncompliance. Why send the message that it's ok to take breaks?

Kids need to be kids, yes. And she will be. She'll have a blast at the beach and the running and playing will be great for her lungs. But don't let it get in the way of her routine. Her health comes first. Period.

Wish her a great trip from all of us!

izemmom

I say don't let her skip treatments. At 12 she certainly can do the vest by herself, and the nebs, too. Give her friend's parents a quick lesson, stress to them the importance of her doing them everyday, and then send her off to the beach with her swimsuit, towel, nebcups (enought so that they don't have to worry about washing or sterilizing...), meds and vest. Unless of course the beach house doesn't have electricity, in which case, well, I'm not sure.

I realize that my kid is younger and I don't have to deal with the preteen issues yet. But, IMO, the fact that she is a preteen is all the more reason to insist that treatments get done religiously. You are right around the corner from out and out noncompliance. Why send the message that it's ok to take breaks?

Kids need to be kids, yes. And she will be. She'll have a blast at the beach and the running and playing will be great for her lungs. But don't let it get in the way of her routine. Her health comes first. Period.

izemmom

izemmom

izemmom

T

TonyaH

Hi There!

It is hard to say without knowing your daughter's health status. Are her PFTs where they should be? Is she over all pretty healthy? My son is 9 and his last FEV1 was 114. We are on a strict schedule right now of HTS and Vest in the am, HTS, pulmozyme, and flutter in the pm. In fact, that's what he is doing right now right beside me! Because his lung function is so good, I would let Andrew go a few days without treatment, but I would definitely tell him that it was only because his lungs are in such good shape due to his efforts every day. If his lung function was down, I would not.

I am sure there are some here who will strongly disagree with me, and I know it may not be the best choice, but I would be more concerned about improper sterilization of neb cups, etc, than I would of three days without treatment. If Jessica is "healthy", I say let her go and enjoy herself. Good luck in making your decision! Let us know how it goes.

T

TonyaH

Hi There!

It is hard to say without knowing your daughter's health status. Are her PFTs where they should be? Is she over all pretty healthy? My son is 9 and his last FEV1 was 114. We are on a strict schedule right now of HTS and Vest in the am, HTS, pulmozyme, and flutter in the pm. In fact, that's what he is doing right now right beside me! Because his lung function is so good, I would let Andrew go a few days without treatment, but I would definitely tell him that it was only because his lungs are in such good shape due to his efforts every day. If his lung function was down, I would not.

I am sure there are some here who will strongly disagree with me, and I know it may not be the best choice, but I would be more concerned about improper sterilization of neb cups, etc, than I would of three days without treatment. If Jessica is "healthy", I say let her go and enjoy herself. Good luck in making your decision! Let us know how it goes.

T

TonyaH

Hi There!

T

TonyaH

Hi There!

T

TonyaH

Hi There!