help with 2yr old and nebulizer

M

momofcash

Cash started albuterol, pulmicort and pulomzyme on Wed with the nebulizer. He has been usingalbuterol and flovent with a spacer tube which was never something he liked. So Wednesday I was expceting him to fight but he didn't. He was so good. He would sit down watch Blue's Clues and we had no problem. On Friday he even went and got the compressor when I asked if he was ready.
Then on Saturday he decided to have nothing to do with it. He screams, cries tears his mask off. It is so stressful. I don't want to force it on him, but it really was amazing how much of an improvement we had those first few days. I tried bribing. I turned off the movie until he would sit with his mask. There has to be an esier way. Please any advice would be so appreciated.

M

momofcash

Cash started albuterol, pulmicort and pulomzyme on Wed with the nebulizer. He has been usingalbuterol and flovent with a spacer tube which was never something he liked. So Wednesday I was expceting him to fight but he didn't. He was so good. He would sit down watch Blue's Clues and we had no problem. On Friday he even went and got the compressor when I asked if he was ready.
Then on Saturday he decided to have nothing to do with it. He screams, cries tears his mask off. It is so stressful. I don't want to force it on him, but it really was amazing how much of an improvement we had those first few days. I tried bribing. I turned off the movie until he would sit with his mask. There has to be an esier way. Please any advice would be so appreciated.

M

momofcash

M

momofcash

M

momofcash

<br />Then on Saturday he decided to have nothing to do with it. He screams, cries tears his mask off. It is so stressful. I don't want to force it on him, but it really was amazing how much of an improvement we had those first few days. I tried bribing. I turned off the movie until he would sit with his mask. There has to be an esier way. Please any advice would be so appreciated.

C

Cherylwithone

my daughter is much older then your son but this may help....my daughter can not use albuterol in an inhaler or nebulizer. It makes her heart race and she gets the shakes. Her doctor had to change her to openex. She will do this with the neb. Does not have all the aide effects. This drug does the same thing as albeterol. We were told alot of kids have this problem. You should ask his doctor. Maybe the funny feelings are scaring him. At two it is very hard to explain those kinds of feelings. Just a thought. It may not even be the drugs. It could be he is just two years old and being two you get to change your mind alot.

cheryl mother of Malora w/CF

C

Cherylwithone

my daughter is much older then your son but this may help....my daughter can not use albuterol in an inhaler or nebulizer. It makes her heart race and she gets the shakes. Her doctor had to change her to openex. She will do this with the neb. Does not have all the aide effects. This drug does the same thing as albeterol. We were told alot of kids have this problem. You should ask his doctor. Maybe the funny feelings are scaring him. At two it is very hard to explain those kinds of feelings. Just a thought. It may not even be the drugs. It could be he is just two years old and being two you get to change your mind alot.

C

Cherylwithone

C

Cherylwithone

C

Cherylwithone

<br />
<br />cheryl mother of Malora w/CF

malay13

My daughter is 5 now, but I remember those days when she was 2 and trying to get her take her treatments. We had the same problems you are having and here is what we did and it worked. If you have an extra mask put it on with Cash and talk in funny voices and play games. When he sees that you have one on too, he'll think it's silly and laugh, and before you know it, treatment time is over. This won't work forever, but it'll help a little. Just be creative, we all know how hard it is.

Ron
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://cfparenting.blogspot.com/">http://cfparenting.blogspot.com/</a>

malay13

My daughter is 5 now, but I remember those days when she was 2 and trying to get her take her treatments. We had the same problems you are having and here is what we did and it worked. If you have an extra mask put it on with Cash and talk in funny voices and play games. When he sees that you have one on too, he'll think it's silly and laugh, and before you know it, treatment time is over. This won't work forever, but it'll help a little. Just be creative, we all know how hard it is.

Ron
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://cfparenting.blogspot.com/">http://cfparenting.blogspot.com/</a>

malay13

Ron

malay13

Ron

malay13

<br />
<br />Ron
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://cfparenting.blogspot.com/">http://cfparenting.blogspot.com/</a>

M

Mommafirst

My daughter just turned two and we just reintroduced the nebulizer. She does albuterol using the inhaler, but we added pulmozyme to her treatment, so back to the neb. It used to be miserable, crying screaming, so much so that we asked to switch to the inhaler. But now she is doing really well with the neb. I sit her in my lap, turn on a special show and turn on the neb. Sometimes she likes to hold it herself and other times I hold it. She HATES the rubber band thing that holds on the mask, so I hold it by hand instead.

The only suggestion I can make is to make it a fun, snuggly, enjoyable time for him. So he'll see it as something he "gets" to do instead of something he "has" to do. In the same way, we make toothbrushing fun and long enough by singing a song; we try to keep the treatments light and fun. When I'm pressed for time and I make it seem like I'm rushed and we gotta get this done, she's much more resistent.

M

Mommafirst

My daughter just turned two and we just reintroduced the nebulizer. She does albuterol using the inhaler, but we added pulmozyme to her treatment, so back to the neb. It used to be miserable, crying screaming, so much so that we asked to switch to the inhaler. But now she is doing really well with the neb. I sit her in my lap, turn on a special show and turn on the neb. Sometimes she likes to hold it herself and other times I hold it. She HATES the rubber band thing that holds on the mask, so I hold it by hand instead.

The only suggestion I can make is to make it a fun, snuggly, enjoyable time for him. So he'll see it as something he "gets" to do instead of something he "has" to do. In the same way, we make toothbrushing fun and long enough by singing a song; we try to keep the treatments light and fun. When I'm pressed for time and I make it seem like I'm rushed and we gotta get this done, she's much more resistent.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />The only suggestion I can make is to make it a fun, snuggly, enjoyable time for him. So he'll see it as something he "gets" to do instead of something he "has" to do. In the same way, we make toothbrushing fun and long enough by singing a song; we try to keep the treatments light and fun. When I'm pressed for time and I make it seem like I'm rushed and we gotta get this done, she's much more resistent.