Home IV Balls

Sakem

thanks Melissa, we have 2 days left of our first IV ever, so hopefully we won't need them again for a long time, but if so, I will make sure I push for them.....better than the heavy machine he had infusing the syringe....

thanks again

Sakem

thanks Melissa, we have 2 days left of our first IV ever, so hopefully we won't need them again for a long time, but if so, I will make sure I push for them.....better than the heavy machine he had infusing the syringe....

thanks again

Sakem

thanks again

Sakem

thanks again

Sakem

<br />
<br />thanks again

M

Mommafirst

Wow -- I never heard of this. It seems it would be cheaper than the fancy dancy expensive digital pump they gave us last time -- though I bet the ball doesn't beep if there is an occlusion or air pocket in it.

M

Mommafirst

Wow -- I never heard of this. It seems it would be cheaper than the fancy dancy expensive digital pump they gave us last time -- though I bet the ball doesn't beep if there is an occlusion or air pocket in it.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

T

TonyaH

Yes, Heather,
That's the only problem. With a pump there is no fear of oversleeping during the night. Andrew has had eclipse balls for every picc he has ever had, using tobramycin, gentimycin, and timentin. We are considering trying the pump next time, simply for the sake of my sanity. The balls need to be taken out of the fridge an hour or two before infusion or they'll take forever to administer. So, being on a 12 6 12 6 schedule AND pulling meds out of the fridge 2 hours prior, AND having to stay awake during infusion for fear of not waking up when it is finished, I never get more than 3 hours of consecutive sleep when he's on ivs. The balls are great for daytime, but the nights are what is hard. He sleeps through it all, though. So at least he can rest. But I'm afraid of becoming overly tired and making a mistake.

T

TonyaH

Yes, Heather,
That's the only problem. With a pump there is no fear of oversleeping during the night. Andrew has had eclipse balls for every picc he has ever had, using tobramycin, gentimycin, and timentin. We are considering trying the pump next time, simply for the sake of my sanity. The balls need to be taken out of the fridge an hour or two before infusion or they'll take forever to administer. So, being on a 12 6 12 6 schedule AND pulling meds out of the fridge 2 hours prior, AND having to stay awake during infusion for fear of not waking up when it is finished, I never get more than 3 hours of consecutive sleep when he's on ivs. The balls are great for daytime, but the nights are what is hard. He sleeps through it all, though. So at least he can rest. But I'm afraid of becoming overly tired and making a mistake.

T

TonyaH

Yes, Heather,

T

TonyaH

Yes, Heather,

T

TonyaH

Yes, Heather,
<br />That's the only problem. With a pump there is no fear of oversleeping during the night. Andrew has had eclipse balls for every picc he has ever had, using tobramycin, gentimycin, and timentin. We are considering trying the pump next time, simply for the sake of my sanity. The balls need to be taken out of the fridge an hour or two before infusion or they'll take forever to administer. So, being on a 12 6 12 6 schedule AND pulling meds out of the fridge 2 hours prior, AND having to stay awake during infusion for fear of not waking up when it is finished, I never get more than 3 hours of consecutive sleep when he's on ivs. The balls are great for daytime, but the nights are what is hard. He sleeps through it all, though. So at least he can rest. But I'm afraid of becoming overly tired and making a mistake.

NYCLawGirl

Almost all meds can be used in this form (I have yet to hear of one that cannot). There is also a slight variation on these balls where the ball comes encased in a small plastic bottle (about the size and shape of a grenade, actually). Still portable and more or less the same thing, some healthcare companies just prefer this method I guess.

Some drugs can also be delivered via "push" IVs. This means the entire dose of the drug comes in a syringe that you attach to your cannula (much like the saline flushes) and infuse yourself over a period of 5-10 minutes. You just slowly "push" in the drug. This is drug specific (some drugs can be used with this method and others cannot) and kind of annoying b/c you have to mix the drug yourself most of the time right before you infuse, although some drugs can still come pre-mixed. Probably not the best method for kids because they would have to sit still for ten minutes while an adult slowly pushed in the med, but awesome for those of us who have to infuse at work b/c it saves us from having to walk around the office with an eclipse ball hanging off our arm.

I have been doing home IVs since I was 10 and have never once had a home pole or pump. Always the balls or the push, so they've been around for a while! I've also been on about every drug you can name, so clearly they can be used with a wide range.

NYCLawGirl

Almost all meds can be used in this form (I have yet to hear of one that cannot). There is also a slight variation on these balls where the ball comes encased in a small plastic bottle (about the size and shape of a grenade, actually). Still portable and more or less the same thing, some healthcare companies just prefer this method I guess.

Some drugs can also be delivered via "push" IVs. This means the entire dose of the drug comes in a syringe that you attach to your cannula (much like the saline flushes) and infuse yourself over a period of 5-10 minutes. You just slowly "push" in the drug. This is drug specific (some drugs can be used with this method and others cannot) and kind of annoying b/c you have to mix the drug yourself most of the time right before you infuse, although some drugs can still come pre-mixed. Probably not the best method for kids because they would have to sit still for ten minutes while an adult slowly pushed in the med, but awesome for those of us who have to infuse at work b/c it saves us from having to walk around the office with an eclipse ball hanging off our arm.

I have been doing home IVs since I was 10 and have never once had a home pole or pump. Always the balls or the push, so they've been around for a while! I've also been on about every drug you can name, so clearly they can be used with a wide range.

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

<br />
<br />Some drugs can also be delivered via "push" IVs. This means the entire dose of the drug comes in a syringe that you attach to your cannula (much like the saline flushes) and infuse yourself over a period of 5-10 minutes. You just slowly "push" in the drug. This is drug specific (some drugs can be used with this method and others cannot) and kind of annoying b/c you have to mix the drug yourself most of the time right before you infuse, although some drugs can still come pre-mixed. Probably not the best method for kids because they would have to sit still for ten minutes while an adult slowly pushed in the med, but awesome for those of us who have to infuse at work b/c it saves us from having to walk around the office with an eclipse ball hanging off our arm.
<br />
<br />I have been doing home IVs since I was 10 and have never once had a home pole or pump. Always the balls or the push, so they've been around for a while! I've also been on about every drug you can name, so clearly they can be used with a wide range.