Homeschooling

M

mneville

I also agree. CF is a minor part of my son's life. He does his treatments, we go to doctors, he takes pills...end of story.

He has no idea there is an extra person in the room for him. And he never will. She is there to give enzymes and IVs as he might be getting another PICC soon. But she does not follow him or anything of the sort.

Aidan does everything a three year old does! I have no restrictions other than hanging out with known sick kids. That is called smart parenting whether the kid has CF or not. He builds his immunity through all kinds of exposure, it doesn't have to be around a kid we know is sick.

I question all doctors; we flew to Minnesota last summer for Warwick's opinion but questioned that as well. I appreciate CFers input- I am definitely going to raise my child who has CF the same as my non CFer.

Megan

M

mneville

I also agree. CF is a minor part of my son's life. He does his treatments, we go to doctors, he takes pills...end of story.

He has no idea there is an extra person in the room for him. And he never will. She is there to give enzymes and IVs as he might be getting another PICC soon. But she does not follow him or anything of the sort.

Aidan does everything a three year old does! I have no restrictions other than hanging out with known sick kids. That is called smart parenting whether the kid has CF or not. He builds his immunity through all kinds of exposure, it doesn't have to be around a kid we know is sick.

I question all doctors; we flew to Minnesota last summer for Warwick's opinion but questioned that as well. I appreciate CFers input- I am definitely going to raise my child who has CF the same as my non CFer.

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

wanderlost

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>mneville</b></i>

</end quote></div>

No, at his age, why would he - but as he gets older he WILL (though it sounds as if this is just this preschool) - and so if this continued as he grew I would have to say I'd think it was a bit overboard and probably would be come very embarrassing and not normal - but at his age? whatever - kids that age don't know. Not to mention, if given the chance, I would rather have a nurse dealing with my kid's IVs and PICC if they had to have one in a daycare/preschool setting.

wanderlost

</end quote></div>

No, at his age, why would he - but as he gets older he WILL (though it sounds as if this is just this preschool) - and so if this continued as he grew I would have to say I'd think it was a bit overboard and probably would be come very embarrassing and not normal - but at his age? whatever - kids that age don't know. Not to mention, if given the chance, I would rather have a nurse dealing with my kid's IVs and PICC if they had to have one in a daycare/preschool setting.

wanderlost

</end quote></div>

wanderlost

</end quote>

wanderlost

</end quote>

pjspiegle

Not sure where you are from, but no need to fear homeschooling. There is a wonderful program called S.O.S., Switched On Schoolhouse, that does 98% of the work for you. There is recorded lectures from teahcers that are viewed online, phone numbers to call for help, and it only requires you to load it on the computer and grade only the essay questions, the computer does the rest. My son spends about 3 hours a day on the computer doing his work and then he is done. I spend maybe 20 minutes a week checking that he did his work and grading the few things the computer doesn't.

If you are in Colorado, there is also a Virtual School that is provided and supported by the public school system, I believe they even provide the computer. Again, all you have to do is monitor that he does the work and doesn't cheat on the test.

Don't worry, there are a lot of options available if and when it becomes necessary. To prepare yourself, I might take a look at the Switched on Schoolhouse website for more information and to take some of the fear away. Hopefully, you won't ever have to worry about this. Go to www.aop.com for more information. AOP stands for Alpha and Omega Publications, the makers of SOS.

Good Luck,

Patty Spiegle

pjspiegle

Not sure where you are from, but no need to fear homeschooling. There is a wonderful program called S.O.S., Switched On Schoolhouse, that does 98% of the work for you. There is recorded lectures from teahcers that are viewed online, phone numbers to call for help, and it only requires you to load it on the computer and grade only the essay questions, the computer does the rest. My son spends about 3 hours a day on the computer doing his work and then he is done. I spend maybe 20 minutes a week checking that he did his work and grading the few things the computer doesn't.

If you are in Colorado, there is also a Virtual School that is provided and supported by the public school system, I believe they even provide the computer. Again, all you have to do is monitor that he does the work and doesn't cheat on the test.

Don't worry, there are a lot of options available if and when it becomes necessary. To prepare yourself, I might take a look at the Switched on Schoolhouse website for more information and to take some of the fear away. Hopefully, you won't ever have to worry about this. Go to www.aop.com for more information. AOP stands for Alpha and Omega Publications, the makers of SOS.

Good Luck,

Patty Spiegle

pjspiegle

Good Luck,

Patty Spiegle

pjspiegle

Good Luck,

Patty Spiegle

pjspiegle

Good Luck,

Patty Spiegle

blopunky13

I haven't been on in a while-school district blocked all chat type forums. We at home are finally in the computer world. My son was dx before 2 and he is my 4th child and the only one with cf, I would like to comment on the germ conversation. Most general doctors will tell you that when a child is prevented from being exposed to germs you are doing more harm than good. My son is 9 and a half now and so far we have only grown Psud. arg. and the pneu. germ(never went on to have it). I truly believe that their lives need to be as normal as we can make it, but honestly-how normal is it to have 7 different meds. to take and 3 different breathing treatments along with his vest??? Normal for cf kids is not the norm for others w/o cf(obviously). My son is very shy about his treatments and has skipped his meds at school because he didn't want anyone to see him take them. Our school lets him keep them with him since they are not a risk to others. The child with the nurse will definately notice-they are way smarter than people give them credit!! I know we want our kids to be around a long, long time but realisticly they aren't going to be and to quote my sons pulmo. dr.
"do you want him to live in a bubble in the time he does have, or do you want him to LIVE?" General hand washing and germx before you eat is a good idea for every one, but he has definately missed a few and I promise you it hasn't hurt him one little bit. Of course we worry-were talking about our kids, but normal for him is to not have to think about his cf every minute of the day. If we obsess about it they in turn will stress about it and they have enough on their minds-their bodies are going through this, not ours-THEY KNOW WHATS GOING ON BETTER THAN WE DO(unless you also have cf). The whole point for this forum is to help, voice and learn and I appreciate all the opinions, advice and questions I read. THANKS-blopunkys mom

blopunky13

I haven't been on in a while-school district blocked all chat type forums. We at home are finally in the computer world. My son was dx before 2 and he is my 4th child and the only one with cf, I would like to comment on the germ conversation. Most general doctors will tell you that when a child is prevented from being exposed to germs you are doing more harm than good. My son is 9 and a half now and so far we have only grown Psud. arg. and the pneu. germ(never went on to have it). I truly believe that their lives need to be as normal as we can make it, but honestly-how normal is it to have 7 different meds. to take and 3 different breathing treatments along with his vest??? Normal for cf kids is not the norm for others w/o cf(obviously). My son is very shy about his treatments and has skipped his meds at school because he didn't want anyone to see him take them. Our school lets him keep them with him since they are not a risk to others. The child with the nurse will definately notice-they are way smarter than people give them credit!! I know we want our kids to be around a long, long time but realisticly they aren't going to be and to quote my sons pulmo. dr.
"do you want him to live in a bubble in the time he does have, or do you want him to LIVE?" General hand washing and germx before you eat is a good idea for every one, but he has definately missed a few and I promise you it hasn't hurt him one little bit. Of course we worry-were talking about our kids, but normal for him is to not have to think about his cf every minute of the day. If we obsess about it they in turn will stress about it and they have enough on their minds-their bodies are going through this, not ours-THEY KNOW WHATS GOING ON BETTER THAN WE DO(unless you also have cf). The whole point for this forum is to help, voice and learn and I appreciate all the opinions, advice and questions I read. THANKS-blopunkys mom

blopunky13

blopunky13

blopunky13