Homeschooling

Emily65Roses

I couldn't tell if this was a serious question to me or not. I will presume it is and answer it. If not, skim over me and move on.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>That's it! Does that seem like a child who is being coddled or treated differently. The kids don't even know the nurse was hired for Aidan; her simple acts keep ALL the kids healthy and in a typical preschool, the staffing usually sucks and simple things aren't done. My son does everything a typical 3 year old does- there is nothing he is missing out on.</end quote></div>

Coddled, no. Treated differently, yes. And whether or not she cleans it for everyone, I still stand by that it is <b>SO UNNECESSARY</b>. Stuff like this is why antibiotics never work anymore. Everyone disinfects everything. Every single commercial I see for "Lysol - kills 99.9% of bacteria!" pisses me off. There is NO NEED FOR THAT. The only time that's necessary is in extreme cases or special situations. And no, CF is not a special situation when it comes to disinfecting. Post-transplant is. CF alone is not.

Emily65Roses

I couldn't tell if this was a serious question to me or not. I will presume it is and answer it. If not, skim over me and move on.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>That's it! Does that seem like a child who is being coddled or treated differently. The kids don't even know the nurse was hired for Aidan; her simple acts keep ALL the kids healthy and in a typical preschool, the staffing usually sucks and simple things aren't done. My son does everything a typical 3 year old does- there is nothing he is missing out on.</end quote></div>

Coddled, no. Treated differently, yes. And whether or not she cleans it for everyone, I still stand by that it is <b>SO UNNECESSARY</b>. Stuff like this is why antibiotics never work anymore. Everyone disinfects everything. Every single commercial I see for "Lysol - kills 99.9% of bacteria!" pisses me off. There is NO NEED FOR THAT. The only time that's necessary is in extreme cases or special situations. And no, CF is not a special situation when it comes to disinfecting. Post-transplant is. CF alone is not.

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>That's it! Does that seem like a child who is being coddled or treated differently. The kids don't even know the nurse was hired for Aidan; her simple acts keep ALL the kids healthy and in a typical preschool, the staffing usually sucks and simple things aren't done. My son does everything a typical 3 year old does- there is nothing he is missing out on.</end quote>

Emily65Roses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>That's it! Does that seem like a child who is being coddled or treated differently. The kids don't even know the nurse was hired for Aidan; her simple acts keep ALL the kids healthy and in a typical preschool, the staffing usually sucks and simple things aren't done. My son does everything a typical 3 year old does- there is nothing he is missing out on.</end quote>

M

mneville

Also- I did not request a nurse. I did request my son be given enzymes in the classroom so he didn't have to hang out with a ton of sick kids. The school will only let a nurse give out enzymes so they hired a nurse.

Emily- I reread your post and I beg to differ that my kid will be a freak. He is being raised NO differently than a kid who doesn't have CF. Again, the nurse does not follow him. There are several aides in the room and he thinks she is just one of the helpers. Nor do I disinfect everything. We always have friends and playmates over for him. Aidan has had his share of colds, viruses, rashes, PICC line ext...His immune system is exposed to plenty, believe me.

Just because you have CF does not mean that you know what is best for every CFer. We are being told very different things from our CF docs than you were told . We are doing nothing more than the CFF guidelines for caring for young ones with CF. It just so happens that our school require it be a nurse for meds in the room. Will Aidan go to public scool? Yes. Will there always be a nurse in the room? No. Would I take him out in a heartbeat if his CF doc told me to? Absolutely.

Megan

M

mneville

Also- I did not request a nurse. I did request my son be given enzymes in the classroom so he didn't have to hang out with a ton of sick kids. The school will only let a nurse give out enzymes so they hired a nurse.

Emily- I reread your post and I beg to differ that my kid will be a freak. He is being raised NO differently than a kid who doesn't have CF. Again, the nurse does not follow him. There are several aides in the room and he thinks she is just one of the helpers. Nor do I disinfect everything. We always have friends and playmates over for him. Aidan has had his share of colds, viruses, rashes, PICC line ext...His immune system is exposed to plenty, believe me.

Just because you have CF does not mean that you know what is best for every CFer. We are being told very different things from our CF docs than you were told . We are doing nothing more than the CFF guidelines for caring for young ones with CF. It just so happens that our school require it be a nurse for meds in the room. Will Aidan go to public scool? Yes. Will there always be a nurse in the room? No. Would I take him out in a heartbeat if his CF doc told me to? Absolutely.

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

Emily65Roses

It's your kid. In the end, you're going to do what you're going to do no matter what I say. But three last things before I give up on this:

1. Docs do not know everything. Not even CF docs. I've had CF docs give me advice before that I didn't agree with and didn't follow. My current doc doesn't give me orders, he gives me choices, and we decide together. Much better way of doing it. Just because they have medical degrees does not mean they get to decide anything and everything in your kid's life. Second question everything. Ask why about everything.

2. I don't think I know what works for EVERY CFer. But I do think I have a better idea than some of the newer parents who have only been living with it for 5 years (give or take). What I say is general advice. It's not going to work for every kid (as we have been shown according to what Reece's mom said). But lots of parents are way too overprotective for no reason. Reece's mom seems to have a reason. She's the exception here, not the rule. And I'm tired of parents screwing their kids, so I will continue to speak up about it whenever I see it.

3. The CFF guidelines, like anything else, are there to cover their own @ss. There are still plenty of CFers that hang out with each other. And as long as you use common frickin sense, it's not harmful. In fact, it's less harmful than being in the hospital (where they have you half the time anyway). But because they can control us seeing each other and not whether or not we go inpatient, they will tell us NOT TO see each other!!! They're not 100% correct all the time. Most of all, it seems, about everything to avoid.

I don't pretend to know more than everyone else. But I stand by what I say when I say I've been around it a hell of a lot longer than you and I have probably a more rounded outlook on the whole thing than you do. Hence... what I said.

And I'm done. If you guys don't want to hear what I have to say, that's fine. But I'm not full of sh*t and I only say what I say in hopes that your kids won't be sheltered and sick as hell later because you're killing their immune systems. The kids that are REALLY overprotected and locked in the closet (I'm not referencing these cases, I mean ridiculously extreme garbage) are the ones that are going to rebel once they become teenagers and do all sorts of stupid crap like smoke. So you want to find a happy medium or your kid will hate you (and justifiably so) in the coming years. Whatever your happy medium is (it's never the same for everyone), find it. I'm just glad my mother raised me the way she did.

From here, you can argue amongst yourselves. I've said my peace. Either you'll listen or you won't. End of story.

Emily65Roses

It's your kid. In the end, you're going to do what you're going to do no matter what I say. But three last things before I give up on this:

1. Docs do not know everything. Not even CF docs. I've had CF docs give me advice before that I didn't agree with and didn't follow. My current doc doesn't give me orders, he gives me choices, and we decide together. Much better way of doing it. Just because they have medical degrees does not mean they get to decide anything and everything in your kid's life. Second question everything. Ask why about everything.

2. I don't think I know what works for EVERY CFer. But I do think I have a better idea than some of the newer parents who have only been living with it for 5 years (give or take). What I say is general advice. It's not going to work for every kid (as we have been shown according to what Reece's mom said). But lots of parents are way too overprotective for no reason. Reece's mom seems to have a reason. She's the exception here, not the rule. And I'm tired of parents screwing their kids, so I will continue to speak up about it whenever I see it.

3. The CFF guidelines, like anything else, are there to cover their own @ss. There are still plenty of CFers that hang out with each other. And as long as you use common frickin sense, it's not harmful. In fact, it's less harmful than being in the hospital (where they have you half the time anyway). But because they can control us seeing each other and not whether or not we go inpatient, they will tell us NOT TO see each other!!! They're not 100% correct all the time. Most of all, it seems, about everything to avoid.

I don't pretend to know more than everyone else. But I stand by what I say when I say I've been around it a hell of a lot longer than you and I have probably a more rounded outlook on the whole thing than you do. Hence... what I said.

And I'm done. If you guys don't want to hear what I have to say, that's fine. But I'm not full of sh*t and I only say what I say in hopes that your kids won't be sheltered and sick as hell later because you're killing their immune systems. The kids that are REALLY overprotected and locked in the closet (I'm not referencing these cases, I mean ridiculously extreme garbage) are the ones that are going to rebel once they become teenagers and do all sorts of stupid crap like smoke. So you want to find a happy medium or your kid will hate you (and justifiably so) in the coming years. Whatever your happy medium is (it's never the same for everyone), find it. I'm just glad my mother raised me the way she did.

From here, you can argue amongst yourselves. I've said my peace. Either you'll listen or you won't. End of story.

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

M

mneville

Your doctors are saying different things than mine then. Toys (even 20 years ago) should be occassionally cleaned. Hands should be washed after sneezing, coughing ect... Aidan is exposed to germs in thousands of places- we know that and don't do all that much about it, he is exposed and gets sick. Good. His immune system is building.

However CF is about prevention. And he is three. Three year olds can be nasty. If we can prevent him from getting a nasty virus from the kid next to him, then we would prefer it that way. Is it by wrapping him in bubble wrap and sticking a mask on his face? No, it's by moving his seat or washing his hands. No big deal. And honestly - that is certainly no different than I would treat my son who does not have CF. If a kid were coughing on him in school, I would want his seat moved.

Aidan's colds turn nasty quickly. They move right to his sinuses and become a huge mess. Polyps only aggravate his severe sinus disease. Hence two surgeries and PICC lines by age 2. His lungs also feel the effects so VEST turns into an hour and a half daily as opposed to the hour. So if we can prevent SOME of the stuff, then we will. Because it is a lot more "normal" to have his hands washed then it is to spend extra time hooked up to a machine that is vibrating the crap out of him. I'm done. Thanks. My son is an amazing kid who at age 3 swallows up to 10 Creons at once, hooks up his own VEST, knows the names of all his meds and is treated exactly the same as all the kids he plays with.

Megan

M

mneville

Your doctors are saying different things than mine then. Toys (even 20 years ago) should be occassionally cleaned. Hands should be washed after sneezing, coughing ect... Aidan is exposed to germs in thousands of places- we know that and don't do all that much about it, he is exposed and gets sick. Good. His immune system is building.

However CF is about prevention. And he is three. Three year olds can be nasty. If we can prevent him from getting a nasty virus from the kid next to him, then we would prefer it that way. Is it by wrapping him in bubble wrap and sticking a mask on his face? No, it's by moving his seat or washing his hands. No big deal. And honestly - that is certainly no different than I would treat my son who does not have CF. If a kid were coughing on him in school, I would want his seat moved.

Aidan's colds turn nasty quickly. They move right to his sinuses and become a huge mess. Polyps only aggravate his severe sinus disease. Hence two surgeries and PICC lines by age 2. His lungs also feel the effects so VEST turns into an hour and a half daily as opposed to the hour. So if we can prevent SOME of the stuff, then we will. Because it is a lot more "normal" to have his hands washed then it is to spend extra time hooked up to a machine that is vibrating the crap out of him. I'm done. Thanks. My son is an amazing kid who at age 3 swallows up to 10 Creons at once, hooks up his own VEST, knows the names of all his meds and is treated exactly the same as all the kids he plays with.

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

M

mneville

Megan