Homeschooling

A

Aspiemom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Emily65Roses</b></i>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Sakem</b></i>

Leah:

You need to talk to the person on this board that has a NURSE assigned to their PRESCHOOL child for the WHOLE day at their public school. From what I can remember her child has mild CF and does not have any big issues w/ their CF. I'm not sure how they were able to get this arrangment, unless they are in a school district that just has lots of extra money or something. Prehaps she could give you some advice about getting something from the public school district. Sorry, I don't remeber who this was, but prehaps she will see this or someone else knows who I am talking about and can let you know.</end quote></div>

To each his own, and I don't even remember who this was, but I wanted to comment on it. I think it's BEYOND ridiculous. There is NO NEED WHATSOEVER for this type of over-protecting germaphobe behavior. CF kids, like anybody else, need to acquire an immune system. You know how this happens? Exposure to germs. It isn't that hard to figure out. I never disinfected anything as a kid. None of this hyper "oh my god we have to put bleach on everything" rubbish. You know that's why antibiotics are working less? Because everyone disinfects everything. It's totally unnecessary.

Your kid can go to public school like anyone else. It won't kill him, it won't hurt him, it'll be good for him.

I went to public school my entire life (and I'm in college now). I never had a nurse follow me anywhere in school. I only went to the nurse's office before lunch for my enzymes. End of story. I didn't disinfect anything and everything in front of me. I'm doing very well. 70% of my lung function at 23. And no, I don't have "mild" CF. I have a Class I and a Class II mutation. So essentially, in theory, I should be dead. And I'm fine. I attribute this, partially, to having lived a normal life. My mom did not freak out and go overboard, and I'm so glad.

Having CF means doing meds and taking care of your kids. It doesn't mean losing your mind and going way way overboard. For chrissake, they already have a lot of stuff making them stand out, let everything else be as NORMAL as possible. I feel bad for the kid who has a nurse follow him all the live long day. He's going to stand out and be the freak and it's SO UNNECESSARY. (Besides which, when he goes to college or gets a job -- assuming he doesn't stay home until he dies -- his body won't be able to handle it because everything in front of him was disinfected his whole life).

CF kids can be exposed to germs. They can even get colds! *gasp* It's not going to kill them. It would have to be a very specialized and unusual CF case to warrant anything insane like this.

Let the kid go to school. He'll thank you for it.</end quote></div>

I think there are all different levels of CF. Some are much more susceptible to germs and infections as others. Some people only have one lung, some people have additional health issues. For some of us there are few drugs that can help us any more so we have to be proactive so that we don't get sick. You can't judge everyone elses health according to your own and what worked for you.

Leah knows what's best for her son and if she and the doctors feel like he's picking up too much at school that is sending him into frequent exacerbations, then I think it's a good thing to keep him home. I don't think she's putting him in a bubble!

A

Aspiemom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Emily65Roses</b></i>

Leah:

You need to talk to the person on this board that has a NURSE assigned to their PRESCHOOL child for the WHOLE day at their public school. From what I can remember her child has mild CF and does not have any big issues w/ their CF. I'm not sure how they were able to get this arrangment, unless they are in a school district that just has lots of extra money or something. Prehaps she could give you some advice about getting something from the public school district. Sorry, I don't remeber who this was, but prehaps she will see this or someone else knows who I am talking about and can let you know.</end quote></div>

To each his own, and I don't even remember who this was, but I wanted to comment on it. I think it's BEYOND ridiculous. There is NO NEED WHATSOEVER for this type of over-protecting germaphobe behavior. CF kids, like anybody else, need to acquire an immune system. You know how this happens? Exposure to germs. It isn't that hard to figure out. I never disinfected anything as a kid. None of this hyper "oh my god we have to put bleach on everything" rubbish. You know that's why antibiotics are working less? Because everyone disinfects everything. It's totally unnecessary.

Your kid can go to public school like anyone else. It won't kill him, it won't hurt him, it'll be good for him.

I went to public school my entire life (and I'm in college now). I never had a nurse follow me anywhere in school. I only went to the nurse's office before lunch for my enzymes. End of story. I didn't disinfect anything and everything in front of me. I'm doing very well. 70% of my lung function at 23. And no, I don't have "mild" CF. I have a Class I and a Class II mutation. So essentially, in theory, I should be dead. And I'm fine. I attribute this, partially, to having lived a normal life. My mom did not freak out and go overboard, and I'm so glad.

Having CF means doing meds and taking care of your kids. It doesn't mean losing your mind and going way way overboard. For chrissake, they already have a lot of stuff making them stand out, let everything else be as NORMAL as possible. I feel bad for the kid who has a nurse follow him all the live long day. He's going to stand out and be the freak and it's SO UNNECESSARY. (Besides which, when he goes to college or gets a job -- assuming he doesn't stay home until he dies -- his body won't be able to handle it because everything in front of him was disinfected his whole life).

CF kids can be exposed to germs. They can even get colds! *gasp* It's not going to kill them. It would have to be a very specialized and unusual CF case to warrant anything insane like this.

I think there are all different levels of CF. Some are much more susceptible to germs and infections as others. Some people only have one lung, some people have additional health issues. For some of us there are few drugs that can help us any more so we have to be proactive so that we don't get sick. You can't judge everyone elses health according to your own and what worked for you.

Leah knows what's best for her son and if she and the doctors feel like he's picking up too much at school that is sending him into frequent exacerbations, then I think it's a good thing to keep him home. I don't think she's putting him in a bubble!

A

Aspiemom

Leah:

A

Aspiemom

Leah:

You need to talk to the person on this board that has a NURSE assigned to their PRESCHOOL child for the WHOLE day at their public school. From what I can remember her child has mild CF and does not have any big issues w/ their CF. I'm not sure how they were able to get this arrangment, unless they are in a school district that just has lots of extra money or something. Prehaps she could give you some advice about getting something from the public school district. Sorry, I don't remeber who this was, but prehaps she will see this or someone else knows who I am talking about and can let you know.</end quote>

Let the kid go to school. He'll thank you for it.</end quote>

A

Aspiemom

Leah:

You need to talk to the person on this board that has a NURSE assigned to their PRESCHOOL child for the WHOLE day at their public school. From what I can remember her child has mild CF and does not have any big issues w/ their CF. I'm not sure how they were able to get this arrangment, unless they are in a school district that just has lots of extra money or something. Prehaps she could give you some advice about getting something from the public school district. Sorry, I don't remeber who this was, but prehaps she will see this or someone else knows who I am talking about and can let you know.</end quote>

Let the kid go to school. He'll thank you for it.</end quote>

A

Aspiemom

Regarding homeschooling, since I homeschool I would like to add some facts here. If you have a teacher that can come to your home, that's <b>wonderful</b>. If you don't have that option I wanted to say that most homeschoolers ARE terrified when they first start. You want to make sure you are teaching what they need to learn, you wonder how you'll get everything done, you have the social aspect to work out. There are many things to consider and each of us feel both frightened and excited at the possibility ahead.

Because I have CF & bronchiectisis, plus some other issues, I knew there would be many times I wouldn't be feeling well and I chose a curriculum where I didn't have to do the preparation and grading. I also wanted to have a Christian curriculum that stressed my beliefs. My curriculum is computer software. It is a "fun" one- has games, comics, video's- besides the educational tidbit. When he answers something on the keyboard it grades it immediately so he always knows how he is doing. As far as the social aspect, the families with many children don't concern themselves over this too much but Ryan is an only child so we participate in a homeschool co-op one afternoon each week. There he is with other kids his age and they do speech, art, home ec, science (dissection!), Bible and gym. Plus he's made other friends at church and in the neighborhood.

It is very rewarding to homeschool. It forms a bonding with your child that you wouldn't otherwise have. Plus I always know what he is learning and how he is doing. Ryan went to public school his first two years but now he is in 7th grade and he loves being homeschooled and the freedom it gives us.

That's my two-cents worth!

A

Aspiemom

Regarding homeschooling, since I homeschool I would like to add some facts here. If you have a teacher that can come to your home, that's <b>wonderful</b>. If you don't have that option I wanted to say that most homeschoolers ARE terrified when they first start. You want to make sure you are teaching what they need to learn, you wonder how you'll get everything done, you have the social aspect to work out. There are many things to consider and each of us feel both frightened and excited at the possibility ahead.

Because I have CF & bronchiectisis, plus some other issues, I knew there would be many times I wouldn't be feeling well and I chose a curriculum where I didn't have to do the preparation and grading. I also wanted to have a Christian curriculum that stressed my beliefs. My curriculum is computer software. It is a "fun" one- has games, comics, video's- besides the educational tidbit. When he answers something on the keyboard it grades it immediately so he always knows how he is doing. As far as the social aspect, the families with many children don't concern themselves over this too much but Ryan is an only child so we participate in a homeschool co-op one afternoon each week. There he is with other kids his age and they do speech, art, home ec, science (dissection!), Bible and gym. Plus he's made other friends at church and in the neighborhood.

It is very rewarding to homeschool. It forms a bonding with your child that you wouldn't otherwise have. Plus I always know what he is learning and how he is doing. Ryan went to public school his first two years but now he is in 7th grade and he loves being homeschooled and the freedom it gives us.

A

Aspiemom

A

Aspiemom

A

Aspiemom

Emily65Roses

If you're homeschooling based <b>solely</b> on germs in public schools, and it's <u>not</u> a specialized case, in my opinion, that's "bubbling." This is a general comment, not pointed at Reece's mother (as it sounds like he is indeed a special case).

Also, I didn't think most of you weren't appreciating adult CFers' views (I only get that from very narrowminded lunatic people). Just the way you said it that parents of CFers will have different views warranted what I said about adult CFers having their say. The views will be very different, but they're still worth listening to. That also wasn't meant to be accusatory, so much as "well of course they'll be different, but that doesn't mean they're no good or that the parents' views are necessarily better."

Emily65Roses

If you're homeschooling based <b>solely</b> on germs in public schools, and it's <u>not</u> a specialized case, in my opinion, that's "bubbling." This is a general comment, not pointed at Reece's mother (as it sounds like he is indeed a special case).

Also, I didn't think most of you weren't appreciating adult CFers' views (I only get that from very narrowminded lunatic people). Just the way you said it that parents of CFers will have different views warranted what I said about adult CFers having their say. The views will be very different, but they're still worth listening to. That also wasn't meant to be accusatory, so much as "well of course they'll be different, but that doesn't mean they're no good or that the parents' views are necessarily better."

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

M

mneville

Emily- With all do respect, my son (the one who has a nurse in the classroom) lives a totally normal life. The nurse does not follow him around. My son diagnosed at 8 days old is doing super and he is doing super because we take some very simple, preventative measures.

Yes- she sprays the toys in the morning before the kids arrive to school.
Yes- she makes sure all the kids wash their hands after a sneeze, before eating ect..
Yes- she gives Aidan his Creon in the room so he doesn't have to go to the nurse's office where all the sick kids are
Yes- she discreetly moves Aidan's seat if there is a kid sneezing and coughing next to him.

That's it! Does that seem like a child who is being coddled or treated differently. The kids don't even know the nurse was hired for Aidan; her simple acts keep ALL the kids healthy and in a typical preschool, the staffing usually sucks and simple things aren't done. My son does everything a typical 3 year old does- there is nothing he is missing out on.

Megan, mom to Aidan CF and Gavin ,no CF

M

mneville

Emily- With all do respect, my son (the one who has a nurse in the classroom) lives a totally normal life. The nurse does not follow him around. My son diagnosed at 8 days old is doing super and he is doing super because we take some very simple, preventative measures.

Yes- she makes sure all the kids wash their hands after a sneeze, before eating ect..
Yes- she gives Aidan his Creon in the room so he doesn't have to go to the nurse's office where all the sick kids are
Yes- she discreetly moves Aidan's seat if there is a kid sneezing and coughing next to him.

That's it! Does that seem like a child who is being coddled or treated differently. The kids don't even know the nurse was hired for Aidan; her simple acts keep ALL the kids healthy and in a typical preschool, the staffing usually sucks and simple things aren't done. My son does everything a typical 3 year old does- there is nothing he is missing out on.

M

mneville

M

mneville

M

mneville