Homeschooling

Foody

We have a friend who is the principal of the high school where we live and there are programs like 504 and also part-time enrollment options. Books, tutors and other materials are included in these types of programs. I'm sure if you call your school district you can find out about these options just of a plan B (which of course may never come ;-)

We chose home ed before CF entered the picture and love it. We have family support and access to a lot of programs in our area. My CFer is only 3 but my 7 year old has been home schooled (unschooled) since kindergarten. I never in a million years thought I'd be doing it, but it has actually opened a whole new world of opportunities up. I think it may depend on where you live, but we have a huge extended home ed community with lots of group activities, diversity and mom-2-mom support. Everyone knows to stay home or give us a heads up if they've been through a respiratory illness, so it has probably cut back on his illnesses. However, we don't stay away from community and group stuff to avoid illness...they just know about his CF and are extra careful. I'm not particularly paranoid about germs and stuff...we just practice frequently hand washing in the winter months and boost immune system naturally.

I don't think there is a perfect way to show your children the world and help them gain the skills to do well...just what works for your family and your children. If my CFer ends up really wanting to go to school we will more than likely honor that decision and help him make it work like we would if our daughter chooses to go that route. I have a few friends who have one kid in school and one who likes the freedom of home ed...so it is amazingly varied. Honestly, you aren't sitting at home for 6 hours doing lessons like at school. We have a group class on Mondays and then get our own work done in 3 days with just mornings lessons. This leaves afternoons and Fridays free.

I know you didn't really ask about home ed but I thought it might reassure you to know a "normal" (I use that lightly lol) mom who never imagined doing it has and has been amazed at the transformation that has occured because of it :) If it goes that way some day or you choose to for health reasons, there are lots of ways to go about it and lots of support out there.

Foody

We have a friend who is the principal of the high school where we live and there are programs like 504 and also part-time enrollment options. Books, tutors and other materials are included in these types of programs. I'm sure if you call your school district you can find out about these options just of a plan B (which of course may never come ;-)

We chose home ed before CF entered the picture and love it. We have family support and access to a lot of programs in our area. My CFer is only 3 but my 7 year old has been home schooled (unschooled) since kindergarten. I never in a million years thought I'd be doing it, but it has actually opened a whole new world of opportunities up. I think it may depend on where you live, but we have a huge extended home ed community with lots of group activities, diversity and mom-2-mom support. Everyone knows to stay home or give us a heads up if they've been through a respiratory illness, so it has probably cut back on his illnesses. However, we don't stay away from community and group stuff to avoid illness...they just know about his CF and are extra careful. I'm not particularly paranoid about germs and stuff...we just practice frequently hand washing in the winter months and boost immune system naturally.

I don't think there is a perfect way to show your children the world and help them gain the skills to do well...just what works for your family and your children. If my CFer ends up really wanting to go to school we will more than likely honor that decision and help him make it work like we would if our daughter chooses to go that route. I have a few friends who have one kid in school and one who likes the freedom of home ed...so it is amazingly varied. Honestly, you aren't sitting at home for 6 hours doing lessons like at school. We have a group class on Mondays and then get our own work done in 3 days with just mornings lessons. This leaves afternoons and Fridays free.

I know you didn't really ask about home ed but I thought it might reassure you to know a "normal" (I use that lightly lol) mom who never imagined doing it has and has been amazed at the transformation that has occured because of it :) If it goes that way some day or you choose to for health reasons, there are lots of ways to go about it and lots of support out there.

Foody

Foody

Foody

MOME2RT

Reece is not going to school because the doctors think he cant tolerate the "germs". He has been in & out of the hospital for the last year, every 2 months. It all started when he started preschool last Sept.

I would LOVE for him to go to school but I HATE when he has to go "in". So Im giving this a shot. I was told that since we filled out HOMEBOUND papers & the Dr. signed them, a teacher from our school system will be provided for Reece to come to our house.

In the event I feel I can "handle" teaching Reece, we can switch it over to my teaching Reece....even during the school year.

PS. I dont think he's in resp failure........... he has one lung, as they say, thats working halfway right....the other one, the airways have collapsed.

MOME2RT

Reece is not going to school because the doctors think he cant tolerate the "germs". He has been in & out of the hospital for the last year, every 2 months. It all started when he started preschool last Sept.

I would LOVE for him to go to school but I HATE when he has to go "in". So Im giving this a shot. I was told that since we filled out HOMEBOUND papers & the Dr. signed them, a teacher from our school system will be provided for Reece to come to our house.

In the event I feel I can "handle" teaching Reece, we can switch it over to my teaching Reece....even during the school year.

PS. I dont think he's in resp failure........... he has one lung, as they say, thats working halfway right....the other one, the airways have collapsed.

MOME2RT

MOME2RT

MOME2RT

Buckeye

Leah, that is awesome they are supplying a teacher to come to your house. I don't think you have any choice but to keep him home this year and see if that is what makes the difference in his health. You have to do what you have to do. I want to thank everyone for their answers to my question. My son already has an IEP, but I never thought to put anything in there about who would teach him during his absent time from school, so I will have to update that just in case. My son has Cerebral Palsy and few other problems in addition to having CF, so I think my main fear of me schooling him at home is that there is barely enough time in the day as it is to get in all his speech therapy, vision therapy, physical therapy, meds, etc and then to top it all off - become a teacher. I am much relieved that I won't have to take on that hat also. Thanks again for your input.

Buckeye

Leah, that is awesome they are supplying a teacher to come to your house. I don't think you have any choice but to keep him home this year and see if that is what makes the difference in his health. You have to do what you have to do. I want to thank everyone for their answers to my question. My son already has an IEP, but I never thought to put anything in there about who would teach him during his absent time from school, so I will have to update that just in case. My son has Cerebral Palsy and few other problems in addition to having CF, so I think my main fear of me schooling him at home is that there is barely enough time in the day as it is to get in all his speech therapy, vision therapy, physical therapy, meds, etc and then to top it all off - become a teacher. I am much relieved that I won't have to take on that hat also. Thanks again for your input.

Buckeye

Buckeye

Buckeye

JORDYSMOM

I just thought I'd add my experience. Last year, my son had a major spine surgery that required him to be in a body brace for about 6 months. He was on the "homebound" program that Leah has mentioned for the entire first semester of his junior year in HS.

The school did provide a teacher to come to the house either once or twice a week (that choice was up to us) for an hour each visit. We chose to have her bring work on Tuesday and pick it up on Thursday. If there were things my son and I couldn't figure out during the week, the teacher would spend that hour helping him/us with it. She was required to stay during any testing he did, but other than that, I really did most of it.

The teacher we had really went out of her way to be helpful. She was a liason between us and his other teachers. If there was something that was overwhelming Jordan, she would talk to the other teacher and sometimes get a "substitute" assignment for the credit. She was great, BUT... she was his reading teacher. She really couldn't help much with Algebra or Science. I'm sure for elementary kids it is different, because most any teacher from whatever grade the child is in could handle any of their work. I just wanted to point out the challenge of this program for a HS student and a mom who hadn't taken algebra in oh 20 years! lol

Overall, it was a great experience for us. It allowed Jordan to stay on track and he is now a senior and will graduate with his normal class. One other note. The homebound teachers are full-time teachers, so they come to your home after their normal school day.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

I just thought I'd add my experience. Last year, my son had a major spine surgery that required him to be in a body brace for about 6 months. He was on the "homebound" program that Leah has mentioned for the entire first semester of his junior year in HS.

The school did provide a teacher to come to the house either once or twice a week (that choice was up to us) for an hour each visit. We chose to have her bring work on Tuesday and pick it up on Thursday. If there were things my son and I couldn't figure out during the week, the teacher would spend that hour helping him/us with it. She was required to stay during any testing he did, but other than that, I really did most of it.

The teacher we had really went out of her way to be helpful. She was a liason between us and his other teachers. If there was something that was overwhelming Jordan, she would talk to the other teacher and sometimes get a "substitute" assignment for the credit. She was great, BUT... she was his reading teacher. She really couldn't help much with Algebra or Science. I'm sure for elementary kids it is different, because most any teacher from whatever grade the child is in could handle any of their work. I just wanted to point out the challenge of this program for a HS student and a mom who hadn't taken algebra in oh 20 years! lol

Overall, it was a great experience for us. It allowed Jordan to stay on track and he is now a senior and will graduate with his normal class. One other note. The homebound teachers are full-time teachers, so they come to your home after their normal school day.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey