How come I didn't know this?

Emeraldmirror

In high school i used an excessive amount of tylenol because of the sinus headaches i would get everyday, nothing bad happened.. but everybody's body is different and can react differently to different things... now it is my understanding that aspirin is not recommended for anyone under the age of 18 especially for cf patients due to the fact that it can deplete your vitamin k levels.

Ashley 22 w/cf

Emeraldmirror

In high school i used an excessive amount of tylenol because of the sinus headaches i would get everyday, nothing bad happened.. but everybody's body is different and can react differently to different things... now it is my understanding that aspirin is not recommended for anyone under the age of 18 especially for cf patients due to the fact that it can deplete your vitamin k levels.

Ashley 22 w/cf

Scarlett81

I have only been told this when I'm on IVs b/c the effect the IVs are having on the liver-at other times it ok for me to have tylenol.
Maybe if your daughters liver function was a little low, thats why they said it? If shes on ivs there's a good chance it was low and thats pretty common.

Its not a bad idea to avoid it at least during the ivs or other antibiotic treatment. I have hearing loss (just a little, but its annoying) from so much antibiotics, so take good care of that liver!

And yeah by the way, they never tell you any precaution stuff-they just wait till it comes up as a problem and then they tell you. Thats modern medicine for you-makes no sense! Wish you the best.

Scarlett81

I have only been told this when I'm on IVs b/c the effect the IVs are having on the liver-at other times it ok for me to have tylenol.
Maybe if your daughters liver function was a little low, thats why they said it? If shes on ivs there's a good chance it was low and thats pretty common.

Its not a bad idea to avoid it at least during the ivs or other antibiotic treatment. I have hearing loss (just a little, but its annoying) from so much antibiotics, so take good care of that liver!

And yeah by the way, they never tell you any precaution stuff-they just wait till it comes up as a problem and then they tell you. Thats modern medicine for you-makes no sense! Wish you the best.

Scarlett81

summer732

I've been taking Tylenol my whole life. Nothing was ever mentioned to me about this and I'm still fine. And after transplant, tylenol is the only over the counter pain medication you are allowed to have. No advil, aleve, motrin, ibuprofin. Anything. Only Tylenol. So I think they over reacted about you giving tylenol a little bit. But, hey, that's just my opinion.

summer732

I've been taking Tylenol my whole life. Nothing was ever mentioned to me about this and I'm still fine. And after transplant, tylenol is the only over the counter pain medication you are allowed to have. No advil, aleve, motrin, ibuprofin. Anything. Only Tylenol. So I think they over reacted about you giving tylenol a little bit. But, hey, that's just my opinion.

summer732

M

Mommafirst

Perhaps they over stated it. She's not on IVs, hasn't been yet, but it had been looming for a few weeks and then she cleared up so this visit was actually the all clear for NOT having to go to the hospital.

I wish they wouldn't scare me like this!!! Thanks everyone for your input! I can see that tylenol might make a possible liver issue worse and that too much of anything is not a good idea.

M

Mommafirst

Perhaps they over stated it. She's not on IVs, hasn't been yet, but it had been looming for a few weeks and then she cleared up so this visit was actually the all clear for NOT having to go to the hospital.

I wish they wouldn't scare me like this!!! Thanks everyone for your input! I can see that tylenol might make a possible liver issue worse and that too much of anything is not a good idea.

M

Mommafirst

jessicacf21

this is news to me its always been the opposite never take ibprophen (motrin) but take tylenol.... you might want to ask why they said that in more detail

jessicacf21

this is news to me its always been the opposite never take ibprophen (motrin) but take tylenol.... you might want to ask why they said that in more detail

jessicacf21

D

ddawes27

Ibuprofen is harsh to the stomache. Tylenol is toxic to the liver when taken above the maximum daily dose. I heve been directed to give my son tylenol at times also, and with no problems......Tylenol takes a fever down much better that Ibuprophen.
DD

D

ddawes27

Ibuprofen is harsh to the stomache. Tylenol is toxic to the liver when taken above the maximum daily dose. I heve been directed to give my son tylenol at times also, and with no problems......Tylenol takes a fever down much better that Ibuprophen.
DD

D

ddawes27

DD

beleache

Hi Heather, In general most meds are dangerous to anyone. That's why we should take the least amount recommended as possible. People don't do that though (me included) they want extra strength everything. I recently asked when i was in for a tune-up, why they don't have extra strength tylenol. (the nurse told me the effects on liver) Iv'e been taking extra strength and giving it to my children for years.. When i came home from the hosp., i went to the drug store and had to order regular strength tylenol (it's not on the shelves.... not enough demand for it... As far as knowing the best options for ourselves and our children, i guess that comes with trial and error and will likely change as they find new interactions and effects on the body. I have been on cipro many times and didn't know until recently (becaause i finally read the interactions) that you should wait a certain amount of time before and after you take your abdeks and the cipro.. I think the effects are diminished to a degree... Anyway there is so much information thrown at you, it's hard for it to all sink in at once, you learn as time goes by. God Bless ..... Joni 54 soon to be 55 y/o f w c/f

beleache

Hi Heather, In general most meds are dangerous to anyone. That's why we should take the least amount recommended as possible. People don't do that though (me included) they want extra strength everything. I recently asked when i was in for a tune-up, why they don't have extra strength tylenol. (the nurse told me the effects on liver) Iv'e been taking extra strength and giving it to my children for years.. When i came home from the hosp., i went to the drug store and had to order regular strength tylenol (it's not on the shelves.... not enough demand for it... As far as knowing the best options for ourselves and our children, i guess that comes with trial and error and will likely change as they find new interactions and effects on the body. I have been on cipro many times and didn't know until recently (becaause i finally read the interactions) that you should wait a certain amount of time before and after you take your abdeks and the cipro.. I think the effects are diminished to a degree... Anyway there is so much information thrown at you, it's hard for it to all sink in at once, you learn as time goes by. God Bless ..... Joni 54 soon to be 55 y/o f w c/f

beleache