How do you feel about people with colds coming to your house?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Most of our problems stem from people knowing full well that someone is sick and being told that it's "just a cold". DH has taken the stance with his mother that we need to know if someone is sick and comes to a family event -- not just to avoid a his getting sick, possibly ending up in the hospital, but with the LONG TERM effects. Potential lung damage and decreased life expectancy.

We realize he's going to be exposed to things in school, already is in preschool and gymnastics, but we have issues with some elderly aunts and uncles with chronic diseases, infections...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Most of our problems stem from people knowing full well that someone is sick and being told that it's "just a cold". DH has taken the stance with his mother that we need to know if someone is sick and comes to a family event -- not just to avoid a his getting sick, possibly ending up in the hospital, but with the LONG TERM effects. Potential lung damage and decreased life expectancy.

We realize he's going to be exposed to things in school, already is in preschool and gymnastics, but we have issues with some elderly aunts and uncles with chronic diseases, infections...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />We realize he's going to be exposed to things in school, already is in preschool and gymnastics, but we have issues with some elderly aunts and uncles with chronic diseases, infections...

PepperKitty

I have a note taped on my front door that states "If You Have A Cold Please Stay Out!" People are good at obeying the sign & are usually quite understanding. My family & friends do not come to my house when they are sick. At first I felt awkward telling them not to come over, but they eventually understood. They care about me & don't want to make me worse. I call before going over to someone's house to make sure no one is sick. I always wear a mask at the doctor's office. Hand cleaner is my best friend. If someone in my house gets a cold they're better in a week. If I get the cold I end up in the hospital for 2-3 weeks! Sometimes even surgery!

*-------------
*Faith 35w/CF DD508

PepperKitty

I have a note taped on my front door that states "If You Have A Cold Please Stay Out!" People are good at obeying the sign & are usually quite understanding. My family & friends do not come to my house when they are sick. At first I felt awkward telling them not to come over, but they eventually understood. They care about me & don't want to make me worse. I call before going over to someone's house to make sure no one is sick. I always wear a mask at the doctor's office. Hand cleaner is my best friend. If someone in my house gets a cold they're better in a week. If I get the cold I end up in the hospital for 2-3 weeks! Sometimes even surgery!

*-------------
*Faith 35w/CF DD508

PepperKitty

*-------------
*Faith 35w/CF DD508

PepperKitty

*-------------
*Faith 35w/CF DD508

PepperKitty

*-------------
*Faith 35w/CF DD508

Sakem

I have a question for everyone. Maybe I should be more germaphobia, but isn't a cold viral? So if you catch their cold I don't see how someone would end up on antibiotics. A lot of colds that come with change in weather or are actually no more than allergies.

Another question, I hear all the time people saying they have pneumonia and their doctor told them it is not contagious..i'm still trying to figure that one out. I know i got really upset one time with my son had been over to play with his friend and I found out that is friend's brother had pneumonia....needless to say, we are not friends with these people anymore...I was so pissed, she know about my son having CF

Sakem

I have a question for everyone. Maybe I should be more germaphobia, but isn't a cold viral? So if you catch their cold I don't see how someone would end up on antibiotics. A lot of colds that come with change in weather or are actually no more than allergies.

Another question, I hear all the time people saying they have pneumonia and their doctor told them it is not contagious..i'm still trying to figure that one out. I know i got really upset one time with my son had been over to play with his friend and I found out that is friend's brother had pneumonia....needless to say, we are not friends with these people anymore...I was so pissed, she know about my son having CF

Sakem

Sakem

Sakem

<br />
<br />Another question, I hear all the time people saying they have pneumonia and their doctor told them it is not contagious..i'm still trying to figure that one out. I know i got really upset one time with my son had been over to play with his friend and I found out that is friend's brother had pneumonia....needless to say, we are not friends with these people anymore...I was so pissed, she know about my son having CF

just1more

Sakem, you are correct most colds are viral.

However, the risk with CF is that if you are colonized with a bacteria (such as PA) that the increased mucus and inflamation from the viral infection allows the PA to grow rapidly.

Thus, you often end up needing abx to knock the bacterial infection back to where it normally is after having a viral cold.

As for pneumonia, I would assume anyone that has it and decides they are not contagious and exposes my son is too dumb to breath and just eliminate them from the gene pool (just kidding).

just1more

However, the risk with CF is that if you are colonized with a bacteria (such as PA) that the increased mucus and inflamation from the viral infection allows the PA to grow rapidly.

Thus, you often end up needing abx to knock the bacterial infection back to where it normally is after having a viral cold.

As for pneumonia, I would assume anyone that has it and decides they are not contagious and exposes my son is too dumb to breath and just eliminate them from the gene pool (just kidding).

just1more

just1more

just1more

<br />
<br />However, the risk with CF is that if you are colonized with a bacteria (such as PA) that the increased mucus and inflamation from the viral infection allows the PA to grow rapidly.
<br />
<br />Thus, you often end up needing abx to knock the bacterial infection back to where it normally is after having a viral cold.
<br />
<br />As for pneumonia, I would assume anyone that has it and decides they are not contagious and exposes my son is too dumb to breath and just eliminate them from the gene pool (just kidding).