How has this happened?!

Fancymushroom

Hi,
I know this is stupid since my lung functions are amazing, but I'm just confused as to how they were 130% after IVs two months ago, and then I had a cough and cold last week, still lingering a tad. When I went to clinic on Friday my fev1 was 110%. So I know that's still so good and I am really thankful for it, but how can it have dropped by half a litre in a few weeks when I'm not ill?
And last culture also came back with no MRSA anymore (3 weeks ago)

Consultant started me back on doxycycline to clear up what we think is a bit of lingering infection from the cold, but I am so annoyed that I can have dropped that much.

I do have one little squeaky rattle thing going on in the lower right chest, so maybe there is some plugging that is blocking off a bit more volume. I was not tight when I did the pft either. And technique fine.

Anyone else experienced this?

Fancymushroom

Hi,
I know this is stupid since my lung functions are amazing, but I'm just confused as to how they were 130% after IVs two months ago, and then I had a cough and cold last week, still lingering a tad. When I went to clinic on Friday my fev1 was 110%. So I know that's still so good and I am really thankful for it, but how can it have dropped by half a litre in a few weeks when I'm not ill?

Consultant started me back on doxycycline to clear up what we think is a bit of lingering infection from the cold, but I am so annoyed that I can have dropped that much.

I do have one little squeaky rattle thing going on in the lower right chest, so maybe there is some plugging that is blocking off a bit more volume. I was not tight when I did the pft either. And technique fine.

Fancymushroom

Hi,

Fancymushroom

Hi,

Fancymushroom

Hi,
<br />I know this is stupid since my lung functions are amazing, but I'm just confused as to how they were 130% after IVs two months ago, and then I had a cough and cold last week, still lingering a tad. When I went to clinic on Friday my fev1 was 110%. So I know that's still so good and I am really thankful for it, but how can it have dropped by half a litre in a few weeks when I'm not ill?
<br />And last culture also came back with no MRSA anymore (3 weeks ago)
<br />
<br />Consultant started me back on doxycycline to clear up what we think is a bit of lingering infection from the cold, but I am so annoyed that I can have dropped that much.
<br />
<br />I do have one little squeaky rattle thing going on in the lower right chest, so maybe there is some plugging that is blocking off a bit more volume. I was not tight when I did the pft either. And technique fine.
<br />
<br />Anyone else experienced this?

jdubbs

colds always throw me off. i'd suggest aggressively going after that "squeaky rattle thing". stick to your neb/exercise routine religiously, and go back in a week. if it's not better then you prolly need some abx.

jdubbs

colds always throw me off. i'd suggest aggressively going after that "squeaky rattle thing". stick to your neb/exercise routine religiously, and go back in a week. if it's not better then you prolly need some abx.

jdubbs

jdubbs

jdubbs

ERINSBIZ

It's very interesting how pft's go up and then go down sometimes without noticeable symptoms. I have just recently discovered in my 34 years living with this disease that it is not very predictable. I felt like I was going to blow great pfts one day but much to my disappointment they plummeted without me having a clue. It was not due to technique but perhaps plugged as you mentioned.

ERINSBIZ

It's very interesting how pft's go up and then go down sometimes without noticeable symptoms. I have just recently discovered in my 34 years living with this disease that it is not very predictable. I felt like I was going to blow great pfts one day but much to my disappointment they plummeted without me having a clue. It was not due to technique but perhaps plugged as you mentioned.

ERINSBIZ

ERINSBIZ

ERINSBIZ

Fancymushroom

Interesting... and annoying!! Lol. Thanks for your replies, and thankfully I already have ten days of abx to clear it up. I guess that because I am mild and because I have always though of chest infections to be when I literally can't stop coughing, get a fever, lose my appetite and feel very wheezy ect, I don't recognise the low grade ones after lingering colds, and that's probably what causes me to get that drop. And also since the pfts are so high anyway, it wouldn't make me out of breath.

The squeak is in both lungs now so I'm glad we've started abx anyway as it's generally the plugs that get bad eventually. Not on pulmozyme, but maybe will start it over winter depending on how I go. I do nebbed colostin though so I'm guessing that keeps on top of bugs better than just abs as and when.

Fancymushroom

Interesting... and annoying!! Lol. Thanks for your replies, and thankfully I already have ten days of abx to clear it up. I guess that because I am mild and because I have always though of chest infections to be when I literally can't stop coughing, get a fever, lose my appetite and feel very wheezy ect, I don't recognise the low grade ones after lingering colds, and that's probably what causes me to get that drop. And also since the pfts are so high anyway, it wouldn't make me out of breath.

The squeak is in both lungs now so I'm glad we've started abx anyway as it's generally the plugs that get bad eventually. Not on pulmozyme, but maybe will start it over winter depending on how I go. I do nebbed colostin though so I'm guessing that keeps on top of bugs better than just abs as and when.

Fancymushroom

Fancymushroom

Fancymushroom

<br />
<br />The squeak is in both lungs now so I'm glad we've started abx anyway as it's generally the plugs that get bad eventually. Not on pulmozyme, but maybe will start it over winter depending on how I go. I do nebbed colostin though so I'm guessing that keeps on top of bugs better than just abs as and when.