How often do you sterilize nebs?

eli

Alyssa, do you know if the germ sanitiszer is the same as the baby bottles sterilizer, because they look exactly the same.
The one i have is an Avent bottle sterilizer that you fill with a little water, click the lid in and throw in the microwave on high for 2mins.

It steams it up so much that you can't even open it straight after its done. Its recommnded you leave the lid on for about 10 mins until it cools down. I used it foe Olivia's milk bottles when she was a baby.

She doesn't do nebs as yet, but i figured it would do the same job. On the plus side, its a lot quicker to use then any other sterilizer system and can also be picked up for around $30, although mine was about $60.

Please let me know what your thoughts are on this.

I guess you could look up avent microwave sterilizer on the net , and check it out.
see what you think.

Edited to add - instructions say that if the lid is kept on that they are sterile for up to 3 hrs and a few others have mentioned that once they are fully dry you put them in the fridge and that stay sterile for up to 24hrs.
I guess with nebs, its not needed as they are used much more often. lol

It states that leaving them on the counter just contaminates them again with air born bacteria. Thats what i just read.

eli

Alyssa, do you know if the germ sanitiszer is the same as the baby bottles sterilizer, because they look exactly the same.
The one i have is an Avent bottle sterilizer that you fill with a little water, click the lid in and throw in the microwave on high for 2mins.

It steams it up so much that you can't even open it straight after its done. Its recommnded you leave the lid on for about 10 mins until it cools down. I used it foe Olivia's milk bottles when she was a baby.

She doesn't do nebs as yet, but i figured it would do the same job. On the plus side, its a lot quicker to use then any other sterilizer system and can also be picked up for around $30, although mine was about $60.

Please let me know what your thoughts are on this.

I guess you could look up avent microwave sterilizer on the net , and check it out.
see what you think.

Edited to add - instructions say that if the lid is kept on that they are sterile for up to 3 hrs and a few others have mentioned that once they are fully dry you put them in the fridge and that stay sterile for up to 24hrs.
I guess with nebs, its not needed as they are used much more often. lol

It states that leaving them on the counter just contaminates them again with air born bacteria. Thats what i just read.

westonsmom

Damn...I had that advent sterilizer. Why did I get rid of it? Who knows! I am going to look into that other sterilizer too. Thanks for all the good info. I guess I am very lucky that Weston hasn't contracted anything because I don't sterilize nearly enough.

What does everyone do in the hospital? They throw his albuterol spacer in the draw and reuse it. I thought that they did this with the nebs too but I may be wrong. He wasn't on pulmazyme for most of his hospital stays. Do they give you a new one each time? I guess I should be demanding that they do. Yuck! I am a little grossed out right now.

westonsmom

Damn...I had that advent sterilizer. Why did I get rid of it? Who knows! I am going to look into that other sterilizer too. Thanks for all the good info. I guess I am very lucky that Weston hasn't contracted anything because I don't sterilize nearly enough.

What does everyone do in the hospital? They throw his albuterol spacer in the draw and reuse it. I thought that they did this with the nebs too but I may be wrong. He wasn't on pulmazyme for most of his hospital stays. Do they give you a new one each time? I guess I should be demanding that they do. Yuck! I am a little grossed out right now.

westonsmom

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>westonsmom</b></i>
]
What does everyone do in the hospital? They throw his albuterol spacer in the draw and reuse it. I thought that they did this with the nebs too but I may be wrong. He wasn't on pulmazyme for most of his hospital stays. Do they give you a new one each time? I guess I should be demanding that they do. Yuck! I am a little grossed out right now.</end quote></div>

I've had nurses try to rinse my nebs out with tap water. Needless to say, I had to educate them (and inform my doc that my stay at the hospital would be pointless if I got a new strain of PA from the ignorant nurse rinsing my nebs in the tap).

I hide my nebs after each use. Then they're forced to bring me new ones each and every treatment.

But you are right - I've had hospitals just toss the used neb in a drawer or bag and attempt to re-use for a treatment a few hours later. NOT OK.

I don't care how much it costs - I spend so much time and effort into my health that even when I'm in the hospital, I deserve a clean neb for every treatment. And that's just what I get.

Plus when I get home from the hospital I have about a trillion PARI LC Plus nebs - I don't use some for 6 months so that I don't have to re-order for like a year (they go bad after 6 months of use).

I'm still very skeptical of these "sterilizers" - I would love to know if they in fact kill PA. I can see them killing less virulent bacteria like Staph, Strep or H Flu, but I wonder if they in fact kill PA....

The way to tell would be to see how high their temp gets I suppose.

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>westonsmom</b></i>
]
What does everyone do in the hospital? They throw his albuterol spacer in the draw and reuse it. I thought that they did this with the nebs too but I may be wrong. He wasn't on pulmazyme for most of his hospital stays. Do they give you a new one each time? I guess I should be demanding that they do. Yuck! I am a little grossed out right now.</end quote></div>

I've had nurses try to rinse my nebs out with tap water. Needless to say, I had to educate them (and inform my doc that my stay at the hospital would be pointless if I got a new strain of PA from the ignorant nurse rinsing my nebs in the tap).

I hide my nebs after each use. Then they're forced to bring me new ones each and every treatment.

But you are right - I've had hospitals just toss the used neb in a drawer or bag and attempt to re-use for a treatment a few hours later. NOT OK.

I don't care how much it costs - I spend so much time and effort into my health that even when I'm in the hospital, I deserve a clean neb for every treatment. And that's just what I get.

Plus when I get home from the hospital I have about a trillion PARI LC Plus nebs - I don't use some for 6 months so that I don't have to re-order for like a year (they go bad after 6 months of use).

I'm still very skeptical of these "sterilizers" - I would love to know if they in fact kill PA. I can see them killing less virulent bacteria like Staph, Strep or H Flu, but I wonder if they in fact kill PA....

NoExcuses

]

Scarlett81

I got a baby bottle sterilizer, the resp tech's at the hosp said that it is the best way to sterilize at home. I do it at the end of each day, and between my 2 treatments I wash them out with hot water. It is nothing to do it, I just separate the pieces and throw them in the sterilizer and press the button. It takes 6 minutes to sterilizer I think. But I just grab them in the morning for use. I LOVE this method, so much more than the dishwasher and definately more than boiling. It is so quick and easy.
The sterilizer I got is from Avent.

Scarlett81

I got a baby bottle sterilizer, the resp tech's at the hosp said that it is the best way to sterilize at home. I do it at the end of each day, and between my 2 treatments I wash them out with hot water. It is nothing to do it, I just separate the pieces and throw them in the sterilizer and press the button. It takes 6 minutes to sterilizer I think. But I just grab them in the morning for use. I LOVE this method, so much more than the dishwasher and definately more than boiling. It is so quick and easy.

Scarlett81

M

Mommafirst

We just switched from nebs back to an inhaler with spacer -- but even still I wash after every use with soapy warm water and then put into the steam sterilizer.

I'd love to buy the germ guardian that Alyssa posted about, it would be soooo nice not to have to wait on the drying. The spacer is a super pain too -- it takes almost 24 hours to dry. UGGGH!!

M

Mommafirst

We just switched from nebs back to an inhaler with spacer -- but even still I wash after every use with soapy warm water and then put into the steam sterilizer.

I'd love to buy the germ guardian that Alyssa posted about, it would be soooo nice not to have to wait on the drying. The spacer is a super pain too -- it takes almost 24 hours to dry. UGGGH!!

M

Mommafirst

M

mneville

I bought a bottle sterilizer to boil his nebs but they all melted in the microwave sterilizer after 4 minutes. So I stopped using it and am back to boiling. It seems I boil everything, I also boil the water for his daily nasal rinses.

Amy- we also had an experience in the hospital when they told me the neb masks were good for 4 days. I said no and asked for new ones each time. I agree- I spend way too much time on his daily health to put his at risk from ignorant medical staff.

He just had a surgery on Friday to repair a hydrocele. The nurses didn't wash their hands each time they touched him and of course- today he is sick with a fever. I hate the hospital esp at this time of year but he needed the surgery.

Megan

M

mneville

I bought a bottle sterilizer to boil his nebs but they all melted in the microwave sterilizer after 4 minutes. So I stopped using it and am back to boiling. It seems I boil everything, I also boil the water for his daily nasal rinses.

Amy- we also had an experience in the hospital when they told me the neb masks were good for 4 days. I said no and asked for new ones each time. I agree- I spend way too much time on his daily health to put his at risk from ignorant medical staff.

He just had a surgery on Friday to repair a hydrocele. The nurses didn't wash their hands each time they touched him and of course- today he is sick with a fever. I hate the hospital esp at this time of year but he needed the surgery.

Megan

M

mneville

Megan