How often do you sterilize nebs?

jdubbs

My "protocol" is similar to rubyroselee's. I rinse then shake dry. If for some reason it's not dry by the next treatment, I use a different one. I run through the dishwaster once a month. I guess I figure most of the crap that's on there is from me anyway. If i didn't already culture PA, i probably would be more careful.

James 31 w/ cf

jdubbs

My "protocol" is similar to rubyroselee's. I rinse then shake dry. If for some reason it's not dry by the next treatment, I use a different one. I run through the dishwaster once a month. I guess I figure most of the crap that's on there is from me anyway. If i didn't already culture PA, i probably would be more careful.

James 31 w/ cf

H

heatherottery

Pardon my ingnorance, but what is PA? My son is 9 mos and has already had Pseudomonas and MRSA.

bubbleville

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Alyssa[/

I think it works by high heat & ultraviolet light. It runs for 30 minutes and feels much like a blow dryer. We have put the spacer in there too and it came out completly dry. I would imagine if you found the website of the manufacturer it would tell you more about how it works and maybe how many bacteria it they claim it.</end quote>

Alyssa ( or anybody that owns a germ doctor sanitizer), does your actually generate hot air? I just bought one and feel completely lost at how it is able to kill any germs... Mine doesn't generate anything other than COOL air so I'm wondering if maybe it is broken...

2005CFmom

Super Moderator
heatherottery: PA is pseudomonas aeruginosa.

bubbleville: We have a germ gaurdian and it does heat up. We don't use this the sterilize, we only use it for drying our nebs. A few years back I believe someone ran a test to see how long it would heat for and at what temp. It was determined that it did not get hot enough/or hot for long enough (don't remember which) to meet the standards for dry sterilization.

K

Kaethe108

We use a baby bottle sterilizer after every use, which means 2 times a day.
We let the stuff dry completely before we use it again, therefore we have two sets of nebs, one for the morning, one for the evening. The sterilizer needs around 8 minutes to finish.

yellow

I use a new disinfected in the morning, once used I rinse it with tap water and let it dry, then use again in the afternoon. After this it goes to a basket, and once I finish using my stack of clean ones I fill the basket wit hot boiling water, add chlorine and let disinfect for a few hours, then rinse it again with tap water and let it dry in the open air.

Sandra
Mom of Santiago with CF (F508 & R1158X) born 11/24/10.

HuntersmomTBM

I joined this site because my 14 yr old son was tested 4 times for CF. He does not have CF. But he has a rare breathing disorder called Tracheobronchomalacia with Innominate Artery Compression. Because of it he gets a lot of URIs -1RSV, 7Pneumonias, 6Bronchitis and 15Croups to date. He uses Atrovent via nebulizer followed by Xopenex if he is really bad, followed by steroids. We use the disposable nebulizer masks and tubing. We wash in dishwasher daily when he is sick then throw it away after illness. Since his illness' are typically 3 months apart. Do you think this is the best solution? Plus, I saw someone write here about a problem with hot tubes. Please explain further.

scrapper1264

We used to have the Germ Guardian but I read somewhere that it doesn't sterilize them, so I switched to the Avent baby bottle cleaner which is supposed to sterilize them. DS normally uses 5 nebs/day which I wash with soapy water first, let air dry (unless it's the pm ones which go straight into the Avent), and sterilize. I let them dry over night on a paper towel on a wire rack, and start all over again the next day. When DS is on Tobi the Avent is pretty full!!!