How old were you "SUPPOSED" to be?

NoExcuses

How old were you "SUPPOSED

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>point</b></i>

Everyone is manufactured uniquely and that applies to the emotional wiring as well.

Some people will take the constant (RE: Life expectancy data) and roll with it. Others will take it as well, roll with it, but carry it on their backs. Responses are different be/c people are different.
</end quote></div>

You are correct!

it's the person, as you said, not the doctor.

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>point</b></i>

Everyone is manufactured uniquely and that applies to the emotional wiring as well.

Some people will take the constant (RE: Life expectancy data) and roll with it. Others will take it as well, roll with it, but carry it on their backs. Responses are different be/c people are different.
</end quote></div>

You are correct!

it's the person, as you said, not the doctor.

thelizardqueen

How old were you

I got three age predictions as I passed them. First it was 8 years old, then it was 16, then it was 22. I'm turning 26 this year!

thelizardqueen

How old were you

I got three age predictions as I passed them. First it was 8 years old, then it was 16, then it was 22. I'm turning 26 this year!

thelizardqueen

How old were you

scabaskiblio

How old were you

I was born in 1981 and I was given the "18" deadline, too. It was actually motivating, as I am stubborn by nature. I insisted upon proving the statistic wrong.
What i don't understand is why some of the people here seem to want to pick fights. Are we not all going through this together? I come to this forum because I feel that here is a 'place' where others finally understand what I am going through. Before I found the forum I felt really isolated and insecure about my condition. I come here for reassurance, information and support, not to be told my opinions/thoughts/feelings are naive, uninformed or not worth having.I know life isn't perfect and not everyone will get along or agree all of the time. But I don't think it is necessarily fair to pass judgment on another's feelings which are generally beyond our control. What we can control is how we use our feelings, but I think we should be able to express them, especially here, without criticism.

scabaskiblio

How old were you

I was born in 1981 and I was given the "18" deadline, too. It was actually motivating, as I am stubborn by nature. I insisted upon proving the statistic wrong.
What i don't understand is why some of the people here seem to want to pick fights. Are we not all going through this together? I come to this forum because I feel that here is a 'place' where others finally understand what I am going through. Before I found the forum I felt really isolated and insecure about my condition. I come here for reassurance, information and support, not to be told my opinions/thoughts/feelings are naive, uninformed or not worth having.I know life isn't perfect and not everyone will get along or agree all of the time. But I don't think it is necessarily fair to pass judgment on another's feelings which are generally beyond our control. What we can control is how we use our feelings, but I think we should be able to express them, especially here, without criticism.

scabaskiblio

How old were you

NoExcuses

How old were you

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>scabaskiblio</b></i>

What we can control is how we use our feelings, but I think we should be able to express them, especially here, without criticism.</end quote></div>

Here here!

I agree that I should be able to express my thoughts without others critizing my opinions.

NoExcuses

How old were you

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>scabaskiblio</b></i>

What we can control is how we use our feelings, but I think we should be able to express them, especially here, without criticism.</end quote></div>

Here here!

I agree that I should be able to express my thoughts without others critizing my opinions.

NoExcuses

How old were you

Here here!

westonsmom

How old were you

This is very encouraging. Thankfully we haven't been given a time frame because of all the advances they have made. I hold onto 36 years and hope by the time Weston reachs that age their will either be a cure or the medium age will be double that!

westonsmom

How old were you

This is very encouraging. Thankfully we haven't been given a time frame because of all the advances they have made. I hold onto 36 years and hope by the time Weston reachs that age their will either be a cure or the medium age will be double that!

westonsmom

How old were you

2perfectboys

How old were you

I think back when a lot of u older CFers were born, the doc gave statements like, "they won't live to be 18", because that was reality. But advancements were made along the way and now they don't say this. When people are born w/ CF they will give the average life expectancy. When my son was born it was like 32. Today, just 9 years later it's almost 38. I don't look at this as, he will not live beyond 38. I know this means he has a 50% chance of not making it to 38 and a 50% of making it past 38 at today's date and I know this age will continue to increase. Could he die at 18 still today, YEAH...but 20 years from now he could also live to see his 70s or 80s...I think even today doctors are a little more reserved or maybe sensitive is the right word to put a time bomb, even with cancer, they can tell u the average survival rate, but they will not tell YOU how long u have, they do not know.

2perfectboys

How old were you

I think back when a lot of u older CFers were born, the doc gave statements like, "they won't live to be 18", because that was reality. But advancements were made along the way and now they don't say this. When people are born w/ CF they will give the average life expectancy. When my son was born it was like 32. Today, just 9 years later it's almost 38. I don't look at this as, he will not live beyond 38. I know this means he has a 50% chance of not making it to 38 and a 50% of making it past 38 at today's date and I know this age will continue to increase. Could he die at 18 still today, YEAH...but 20 years from now he could also live to see his 70s or 80s...I think even today doctors are a little more reserved or maybe sensitive is the right word to put a time bomb, even with cancer, they can tell u the average survival rate, but they will not tell YOU how long u have, they do not know.

2perfectboys

How old were you

thefrogprincess

When my brother an I were diagnosed it was in the 18 range as well. The first number I really remember hearing myself was 20. I must have been around 6 at that time and 20 seemed like forever so I really didn't pay that much attention. As we got older though and never really got sicker the doctors stopped putting a number on it. I'm 25 now and still never done IVs.

thefrogprincess

When my brother an I were diagnosed it was in the 18 range as well. The first number I really remember hearing myself was 20. I must have been around 6 at that time and 20 seemed like forever so I really didn't pay that much attention. As we got older though and never really got sicker the doctors stopped putting a number on it. I'm 25 now and still never done IVs.

thefrogprincess