How Were You / Your Loved One Diagnosed?

blindhearted

I was born with Meconium Ileus, first sign of CF. I had surgery within 24 hours of being born. They began to treat me as a CF patient from birth. But I was not offical diagnosised with a sweat test until I was 3 months old.

blindhearted

I was born with Meconium Ileus, first sign of CF. I had surgery within 24 hours of being born. They began to treat me as a CF patient from birth. But I was not offical diagnosised with a sweat test until I was 3 months old.

Alyssa

Our complete story is on my blog page.

The really short version is:
My daughter -- cough at age 5, three sweat tests showed "normal" no CF, but 8 years later genetic testing showed yes CF.

My son - was tested because of his sisters diagnosis

Alyssa

My daughter -- cough at age 5, three sweat tests showed "normal" no CF, but 8 years later genetic testing showed yes CF.

Alyssa

kayleesgrandma

My granddaughter, Kaylee, was diagnosed at 1 yr. She had respiratory problems, and loose, smelly stools, and we kept changing formulas's, but she didn't gain weight. She was pale and did not look healthy. We finally had her sweat tested, and found out. There is no family history that we know of.

kayleesgrandma

My granddaughter, Kaylee, was diagnosed at 1 yr. She had respiratory problems, and loose, smelly stools, and we kept changing formulas's, but she didn't gain weight. She was pale and did not look healthy. We finally had her sweat tested, and found out. There is no family history that we know of.

kayleesgrandma

ktsmom

Nagged Katy's pediatrician about her stomach aches and greasy stools for 6 months. Finally he spoke to a pediatric gastroenterologist, who told him to have a sweat test done to "rule out CF". Not ruled out, obviously.......in retrospect there were lots of little things that could have led to a diagnosis much earlier if our (now former) doc had been paying attention.

Dana
Mom to Katy (3, cf) and Kyra (6, no cf)

ktsmom

Nagged Katy's pediatrician about her stomach aches and greasy stools for 6 months. Finally he spoke to a pediatric gastroenterologist, who told him to have a sweat test done to "rule out CF". Not ruled out, obviously.......in retrospect there were lots of little things that could have led to a diagnosis much earlier if our (now former) doc had been paying attention.

Dana

ktsmom

Dana

welshgirl

joe had pnuemonia at 6 yrs 1 month. was tested a month later, he had coped on his own for 6 yrs . looking back there were some digestive problems that weren't picked up on by us as his parents. i feel bad about that. joe is the first in both of our families to be dx with cf. lucky us!!!!!!!

welshgirl

joe had pnuemonia at 6 yrs 1 month. was tested a month later, he had coped on his own for 6 yrs . looking back there were some digestive problems that weren't picked up on by us as his parents. i feel bad about that. joe is the first in both of our families to be dx with cf. lucky us!!!!!!!

welshgirl

Landy

My story is much like everyone else's. I had real digestive issues where I couldn't keep anything down, much less have a chance to digest it. Since my older sister had already been diagnosed with CF it was pretty much a no brainer that I had it too.

May I ask what your concerns/symptoms are that make you wonder if your child has CF?

Landy

My story is much like everyone else's. I had real digestive issues where I couldn't keep anything down, much less have a chance to digest it. Since my older sister had already been diagnosed with CF it was pretty much a no brainer that I had it too.

May I ask what your concerns/symptoms are that make you wonder if your child has CF?

Landy

Emeraldmirror

when i was a baby <12 months i would not stop crying every time i ate then i would poop it out. The doctor said it was colic.. so for a few months every time after i ate and started to cry my mom would give my muscle relaxers.. but she knew something was wrong. She happened to see a talk show (back when all of them were about spreading awareness about something not just about people throwing chairs) about food allergies so she took me to see an allergist (who happened to be the head of the cf clinic in the city... but he was still not a very good doctor when it came to cf) basically i was on and off diet after diet they tested me 5 times for cf, then finally when i was 15 months old weighed 12 pounds with a collapsed right lung he told me my to drive me to the sick kids hospital in toronto (4 hours away) because i might have a "hint" of cf. That's how i was diagnosed

Ashley 22 w/cf

Emeraldmirror

when i was a baby <12 months i would not stop crying every time i ate then i would poop it out. The doctor said it was colic.. so for a few months every time after i ate and started to cry my mom would give my muscle relaxers.. but she knew something was wrong. She happened to see a talk show (back when all of them were about spreading awareness about something not just about people throwing chairs) about food allergies so she took me to see an allergist (who happened to be the head of the cf clinic in the city... but he was still not a very good doctor when it came to cf) basically i was on and off diet after diet they tested me 5 times for cf, then finally when i was 15 months old weighed 12 pounds with a collapsed right lung he told me my to drive me to the sick kids hospital in toronto (4 hours away) because i might have a "hint" of cf. That's how i was diagnosed

Ashley 22 w/cf

Emeraldmirror

Ashley 22 w/cf