Humidity

Breezy

Hey guys

I live in southern Ontario, as many of you know. And most people know that anyone who lives hear, or in the surrounding states that it can get <i>very, very </i>humid. The last couple of days it's been 30C, with humidity making it feel like 35C (roughly 90-100F)

Last year the humidty didn't bother me at all, but this year is a whole differently story. I still love it, but i pretty much am rendered immoble in it. It's so difficult to walk b/c i can't breathe, and even when i'm inside i feel the same (slightly better with air conditioning), and i wake up feeling like there's a huge weight on my chest. Physio and meds bring very little relief.

So my question is, how do you guys deal with this, and is there anything else i can do?

Breezy

Hey guys

I live in southern Ontario, as many of you know. And most people know that anyone who lives hear, or in the surrounding states that it can get <i>very, very </i>humid. The last couple of days it's been 30C, with humidity making it feel like 35C (roughly 90-100F)

Last year the humidty didn't bother me at all, but this year is a whole differently story. I still love it, but i pretty much am rendered immoble in it. It's so difficult to walk b/c i can't breathe, and even when i'm inside i feel the same (slightly better with air conditioning), and i wake up feeling like there's a huge weight on my chest. Physio and meds bring very little relief.

So my question is, how do you guys deal with this, and is there anything else i can do?

Breezy

Hey guys

Breezy

Hey guys

Breezy

Hey guys

Breezy

Hey guys

JazzysMom

Although I love it I will admit I am not as active with the humidity. I did walk up the hill from the store with bags in tow yesterday & had no problems breathing. Just sweat my butt off. Outside of taking it easy with strenuous activities. I consume much more water & do extra nebs so that I dont fight as much. My biggest concern is having hemoptysis from the "strain" of breathing. Otherwise I dont go into A/C. I dont avoid the weather at all. I will take this over snow/cold any day!

JazzysMom

Although I love it I will admit I am not as active with the humidity. I did walk up the hill from the store with bags in tow yesterday & had no problems breathing. Just sweat my butt off. Outside of taking it easy with strenuous activities. I consume much more water & do extra nebs so that I dont fight as much. My biggest concern is having hemoptysis from the "strain" of breathing. Otherwise I dont go into A/C. I dont avoid the weather at all. I will take this over snow/cold any day!

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

M

MCGrad2006

As you may know, my friend....I hate the humidity and dont do well in it at all. Yes it sucks b/c you feel like you need to be in air conditioning all the time, which also sucks b/c it costs money to run an air conditioner.

It has been hot here in MA too these last few days and esp yesterday, I also felt a huge weight on my chest. It happened to me when I was at school though, not when I first got up. I had been in the humidity all day on the second floor of a school, so that probably had something to do with it. BUT....wicked exciting news....I felt soooooo much better when I coughed up some junk and then went exercising!!! I have never really actually noticed the difference when exercising, so this is a good thing and will hopefully motivate me more. OF COURSE though this was in air conditioning at the gym....not outside! Thats what worked for me, like I said, I never noticed a diference with exercise before, so who knows what helped me. (sry for hijacking your thread)

Other than that, I try to take it easy, go slower, dont plan as much, unless you know there is air conditioning...sry hope this helps!

M

MCGrad2006

As you may know, my friend....I hate the humidity and dont do well in it at all. Yes it sucks b/c you feel like you need to be in air conditioning all the time, which also sucks b/c it costs money to run an air conditioner.

It has been hot here in MA too these last few days and esp yesterday, I also felt a huge weight on my chest. It happened to me when I was at school though, not when I first got up. I had been in the humidity all day on the second floor of a school, so that probably had something to do with it. BUT....wicked exciting news....I felt soooooo much better when I coughed up some junk and then went exercising!!! I have never really actually noticed the difference when exercising, so this is a good thing and will hopefully motivate me more. OF COURSE though this was in air conditioning at the gym....not outside! Thats what worked for me, like I said, I never noticed a diference with exercise before, so who knows what helped me. (sry for hijacking your thread)

Other than that, I try to take it easy, go slower, dont plan as much, unless you know there is air conditioning...sry hope this helps!

M

MCGrad2006

M

MCGrad2006

M

MCGrad2006

M

MCGrad2006

Jennifer1981

Nice Topic!
Humidity kills me. As a matter of fact, 3/4 of my admission have been in June or July!!! This is the worst time for me. I don't mind just the heat. It's the humidity. I too have what feels like a weight on my chest which starts in late-May to early September, usually. I literally have to "get use to it". I can cough all I want to no end and do nothing productive with it. Another interesting observation for me is that with this weather I am unable to cough up near the amount of secretions that I usually do on any given day. All of times of the year I might cough up 1/8 cup of mucus per treatment, which is a decent amount for me. I don't cough up much no matter how hard I try. Now with this weather, I might only cough something up 3 times, which I far short of 1/8 cup per treatment. I have such a hard time.

I live in air conditioning during the majority of summer due to the humidity. I live in Pennsylvania. I have even discussed moving but don't really want to leave my whole family. My poor electric bill has already been $300.00 for 1 month, thanks to the air conditioner.

It's a shame because I do like summer - swimming, cookouts, picinics, and so forth. It's the only time you can really swim or do much in the Northeast yet the humidity!!! I swear each year it is worse. I try to just "put up and shut up". "That's just the way it's gonna be so get use to it." Doesn't really help the lungs, though... My PFT's are usually down too during this time of the year.

OH, AND I AM MORE DEPENDENT ON MY TREATMENTS. I tend to need one more albuterol sometimes between the two treatments because the "weight on my chest" just gets unbearable!

I always minded the humidity. My sister who has CF doesn't mind it at all. Not to be morbid, but I swear that when I leave this planet, it will be during summer. I would place money on it!

Jennifer1981

Nice Topic!
Humidity kills me. As a matter of fact, 3/4 of my admission have been in June or July!!! This is the worst time for me. I don't mind just the heat. It's the humidity. I too have what feels like a weight on my chest which starts in late-May to early September, usually. I literally have to "get use to it". I can cough all I want to no end and do nothing productive with it. Another interesting observation for me is that with this weather I am unable to cough up near the amount of secretions that I usually do on any given day. All of times of the year I might cough up 1/8 cup of mucus per treatment, which is a decent amount for me. I don't cough up much no matter how hard I try. Now with this weather, I might only cough something up 3 times, which I far short of 1/8 cup per treatment. I have such a hard time.

I live in air conditioning during the majority of summer due to the humidity. I live in Pennsylvania. I have even discussed moving but don't really want to leave my whole family. My poor electric bill has already been $300.00 for 1 month, thanks to the air conditioner.

It's a shame because I do like summer - swimming, cookouts, picinics, and so forth. It's the only time you can really swim or do much in the Northeast yet the humidity!!! I swear each year it is worse. I try to just "put up and shut up". "That's just the way it's gonna be so get use to it." Doesn't really help the lungs, though... My PFT's are usually down too during this time of the year.

OH, AND I AM MORE DEPENDENT ON MY TREATMENTS. I tend to need one more albuterol sometimes between the two treatments because the "weight on my chest" just gets unbearable!

I always minded the humidity. My sister who has CF doesn't mind it at all. Not to be morbid, but I swear that when I leave this planet, it will be during summer. I would place money on it!