Hyperactivity with CF Kids..anyone have this with their kids?

MicheleGazelle

My son was very hyper on some medication when he was a baby. When he and I were both exhausted and I could no longer keep my eyes open, he routinely took my alarm clock and beat it on the metal frame of the bed (the part holding up the mattress). We went through six clocks that year. I never punished him because he was a baby (under a year old when this began) and because it was clear to me this was from the medication he was taking.

Some years later, one night we ran out of sprite (his drink) and he drank several diet cokes (my drink). He was up all night and could not sleep and turned into quite the whack job by the following morning. I told him "You are NEVER doing this again!" He was fine with that because it was a miserable experience. He does tend to be high strung anyway. Adding caffeine to the mix is disastrous. If you have seen "Over the Hedge", he's kind of like the squirrel on caffeine in that movie.

MicheleGazelle

My son was very hyper on some medication when he was a baby. When he and I were both exhausted and I could no longer keep my eyes open, he routinely took my alarm clock and beat it on the metal frame of the bed (the part holding up the mattress). We went through six clocks that year. I never punished him because he was a baby (under a year old when this began) and because it was clear to me this was from the medication he was taking.

Some years later, one night we ran out of sprite (his drink) and he drank several diet cokes (my drink). He was up all night and could not sleep and turned into quite the whack job by the following morning. I told him "You are NEVER doing this again!" He was fine with that because it was a miserable experience. He does tend to be high strung anyway. Adding caffeine to the mix is disastrous. If you have seen "Over the Hedge", he's kind of like the squirrel on caffeine in that movie.

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

<br />
<br />Some years later, one night we ran out of sprite (his drink) and he drank several diet cokes (my drink). He was up all night and could not sleep and turned into quite the whack job by the following morning. I told him "You are NEVER doing this again!" He was fine with that because it was a miserable experience. He does tend to be high strung anyway. Adding caffeine to the mix is disastrous. If you have seen "Over the Hedge", he's kind of like the squirrel on caffeine in that movie.

stringbean

My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD when she was five because she was so amazingly hyper -- but no one really thought the diagnosis fit. Concerta helped calm her down, but we had to increase the dosage twice. And she continued to get more and more hyper over the next couple of years. She would spin in circles when trying to draw, she walked like Steve Martin in that Wild and Crazy Guy routine, she would run and crash into walls just for the joy of it... It was insanity. And then she was diagnosed with PI and started taking enzymes -- and from that first pill, she just calmed down. All the weird movements are gone, all the craziness. The poor kid was starving to death and no one knew. (Unfortunately, some of the craziness is coming back because I can't get her to eat anything anymore. Eek!)

My daughter also can't take any antihistamines (which is in the medication to increase appetite) and we're finding out a lot of other drugs make her loony too... Advair had her so completely wired that she couldn't fall asleep, nor eat. Flovent made her angry and she was slamming doors and screaming (she's never had an angry moment in her life until that point) I can't remember the name of the third one -- it made her slightly hyper and had no effect on her asthma at all. Her breathing problems were so minor that we don't use anything at all now. If her asthma ever gets worse, we're going to have a very tough time... She gets every one of those rare side effects. Sigh.

I know my daughter's reactions are WAY more than average -- but her hyperactivity stems from not enough food and some of the medications.

stringbean

My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD when she was five because she was so amazingly hyper -- but no one really thought the diagnosis fit. Concerta helped calm her down, but we had to increase the dosage twice. And she continued to get more and more hyper over the next couple of years. She would spin in circles when trying to draw, she walked like Steve Martin in that Wild and Crazy Guy routine, she would run and crash into walls just for the joy of it... It was insanity. And then she was diagnosed with PI and started taking enzymes -- and from that first pill, she just calmed down. All the weird movements are gone, all the craziness. The poor kid was starving to death and no one knew. (Unfortunately, some of the craziness is coming back because I can't get her to eat anything anymore. Eek!)

My daughter also can't take any antihistamines (which is in the medication to increase appetite) and we're finding out a lot of other drugs make her loony too... Advair had her so completely wired that she couldn't fall asleep, nor eat. Flovent made her angry and she was slamming doors and screaming (she's never had an angry moment in her life until that point) I can't remember the name of the third one -- it made her slightly hyper and had no effect on her asthma at all. Her breathing problems were so minor that we don't use anything at all now. If her asthma ever gets worse, we're going to have a very tough time... She gets every one of those rare side effects. Sigh.

I know my daughter's reactions are WAY more than average -- but her hyperactivity stems from not enough food and some of the medications.

stringbean

stringbean

stringbean

<br />
<br />My daughter also can't take any antihistamines (which is in the medication to increase appetite) and we're finding out a lot of other drugs make her loony too... Advair had her so completely wired that she couldn't fall asleep, nor eat. Flovent made her angry and she was slamming doors and screaming (she's never had an angry moment in her life until that point) I can't remember the name of the third one -- it made her slightly hyper and had no effect on her asthma at all. Her breathing problems were so minor that we don't use anything at all now. If her asthma ever gets worse, we're going to have a very tough time... She gets every one of those rare side effects. Sigh.
<br />
<br />I know my daughter's reactions are WAY more than average -- but her hyperactivity stems from not enough food and some of the medications.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS has been on albuterol since he was a baby, and I haven't noticed any hyperactivity. I do recall speaking with another parent, whose child underwent sinus surgery and she said she has a completely different child. Is able to concentrate, doesn't get frustrated with activities, isn't bouncing off the walls. She figures that the lack of sleep -- getting overly tired -- caused by not being able to breathe contributed to the poor attention span.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS has been on albuterol since he was a baby, and I haven't noticed any hyperactivity. I do recall speaking with another parent, whose child underwent sinus surgery and she said she has a completely different child. Is able to concentrate, doesn't get frustrated with activities, isn't bouncing off the walls. She figures that the lack of sleep -- getting overly tired -- caused by not being able to breathe contributed to the poor attention span.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

C

cfangel03

I knew it!!!!!
Ashley, my six year old is on...albuterol, and steriods....
The Dr's say it is not the meds but I know it is because now I only give her meds after school and at night before falling asleep, and the teacher says she concentrates better.

Leah Orr
CF Children's Author
Kyle's First Crush
Kyle's First Playdate

C

cfangel03

I knew it!!!!!
The Dr's say it is not the meds but I know it is because now I only give her meds after school and at night before falling asleep, and the teacher says she concentrates better.

Leah Orr
CF Children's Author
Kyle's First Crush
Kyle's First Playdate

C

cfangel03

I knew it!!!!!

Leah Orr
CF Children's Author
Kyle's First Crush
Kyle's First Playdate

C

cfangel03

I knew it!!!!!

Leah Orr
CF Children's Author
Kyle's First Crush
Kyle's First Playdate

C

cfangel03

I knew it!!!!!
<br />Ashley, my six year old is on...albuterol, and steriods....
<br />The Dr's say it is not the meds but I know it is because now I only give her meds after school and at night before falling asleep, and the teacher says she concentrates better.
<br />
<br />Leah Orr
<br />CF Children's Author
<br />Kyle's First Crush
<br />Kyle's First Playdate