Hyperactivity with CF Kids..anyone have this with their kids?

MicheleGazelle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>pnhuffman</b></i>

I still think he has ADHD at times. He can just go and go and he never shuts up.</end quote></div>

That can also be the behavior of a child who is bright. There is some overlap between the behavior of gifted kids and ADHD kids. ADHD is a diagnosis that requires you to eliminate other possible explanations first. There is no affirmative way to diagnose it. If you come up with no other explanations for the behaviors and it fits a certain profile, it gets labeled ADHD. (At least in theory. In practice, I am sure this process routinely gets short shrift.)

One respected CF doc says people with CF tend to be bright and my experiences hanging out on CF lists seems to affirm that idea.

MicheleGazelle

I still think he has ADHD at times. He can just go and go and he never shuts up.</end quote></div>

That can also be the behavior of a child who is bright. There is some overlap between the behavior of gifted kids and ADHD kids. ADHD is a diagnosis that requires you to eliminate other possible explanations first. There is no affirmative way to diagnose it. If you come up with no other explanations for the behaviors and it fits a certain profile, it gets labeled ADHD. (At least in theory. In practice, I am sure this process routinely gets short shrift.)

One respected CF doc says people with CF tend to be bright and my experiences hanging out on CF lists seems to affirm that idea.

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

I still think he has ADHD at times. He can just go and go and he never shuts up.</end quote>

MicheleGazelle

<br />
<br />
<br />I still think he has ADHD at times. He can just go and go and he never shuts up.</end quote>
<br />
<br />That can also be the behavior of a child who is bright. There is some overlap between the behavior of gifted kids and ADHD kids. ADHD is a diagnosis that requires you to eliminate other possible explanations first. There is no affirmative way to diagnose it. If you come up with no other explanations for the behaviors and it fits a certain profile, it gets labeled ADHD. (At least in theory. In practice, I am sure this process routinely gets short shrift.)
<br />
<br />One respected CF doc says people with CF tend to be bright and my experiences hanging out on CF lists seems to affirm that idea.