I hate to even ask this...

Rebjane

Super Moderator
My husband and I are both organ donors. My husband also got registered with the bone marrow registry as well, someone at work was having a drive and he registered in case he could be a match for someone.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
My husband and I are both organ donors. My husband also got registered with the bone marrow registry as well, someone at work was having a drive and he registered in case he could be a match for someone.

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Rebjane

Super Moderator

Rebjane

Super Moderator

M

Mommafirst

My husband and I are both organ donors. We were before CF entered our lives, but having our daughter diagnosed just confirmed that as being the right choice for us.

M

Mommafirst

My husband and I are both organ donors. We were before CF entered our lives, but having our daughter diagnosed just confirmed that as being the right choice for us.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

Ready2Dance

I am an organ donor (how could I ask for someone elses when I won't share mine.... My opinion though) but I know a lot of people who aren't. My mom, for instance, isn't a donor. She may change it soon... but it's just something that never "spoke" to her until she was directly affected. A friend of the family died a few years ago and she wasn't a donor (she was 17) because it felt wrong to her. She had complications with a surgery and beforehand made her wishes clear about everything to her parents. The doctors ended up taking her eyes anyway and their still trying to legally sort this one out.

Anyway, all that being said, even though I'm waiting for lungs, I understand why people wouldn't want to donate. Maybe that's because of what happened to that young girl's family though...

Ready2Dance

I am an organ donor (how could I ask for someone elses when I won't share mine.... My opinion though) but I know a lot of people who aren't. My mom, for instance, isn't a donor. She may change it soon... but it's just something that never "spoke" to her until she was directly affected. A friend of the family died a few years ago and she wasn't a donor (she was 17) because it felt wrong to her. She had complications with a surgery and beforehand made her wishes clear about everything to her parents. The doctors ended up taking her eyes anyway and their still trying to legally sort this one out.

Anyway, all that being said, even though I'm waiting for lungs, I understand why people wouldn't want to donate. Maybe that's because of what happened to that young girl's family though...

Ready2Dance

Ready2Dance

Ready2Dance

<br />
<br />Anyway, all that being said, even though I'm waiting for lungs, I understand why people wouldn't want to donate. Maybe that's because of what happened to that young girl's family though...

Kelli

I am an organ donor and my sister was too until.....
she moved to IL and got her new driver's license and checked YES to organ donation. She got a letter in the mail stating basically "since you marked yes, we no longer need your family's consent to donate your ograns." So she called and told them to take her off the list.
Is that normal to not need the family's consent? I guess there are some parts of her she doesn't want donated (corneas). But I thought they would always ask the family which parts were ok to use?! Is this not true?
Can anyone fill me in.
Thanks,
Kelli

ps. I didn't read all the above posts so I hope you didn't cover this already.

Kelli

she moved to IL and got her new driver's license and checked YES to organ donation. She got a letter in the mail stating basically "since you marked yes, we no longer need your family's consent to donate your ograns." So she called and told them to take her off the list.
Is that normal to not need the family's consent? I guess there are some parts of her she doesn't want donated (corneas). But I thought they would always ask the family which parts were ok to use?! Is this not true?
Can anyone fill me in.
Thanks,
Kelli

Kelli

Can anyone fill me in.
Thanks,
Kelli

Kelli

Can anyone fill me in.
Thanks,
Kelli

Kelli

<br />she moved to IL and got her new driver's license and checked YES to organ donation. She got a letter in the mail stating basically "since you marked yes, we no longer need your family's consent to donate your ograns." So she called and told them to take her off the list.
<br />Is that normal to not need the family's consent? I guess there are some parts of her she doesn't want donated (corneas). But I thought they would always ask the family which parts were ok to use?! Is this not true?
<br />Can anyone fill me in.
<br />Thanks,
<br />Kelli
<br />
<br />ps. I didn't read all the above posts so I hope you didn't cover this already.