I hate to even ask this...

just1more

Kelli, I'm from Illinois originally.

In many states the signature on your drivers license is not legally binding (ie it doesn't count for crap).

They still must find next-of-kin, even if it is your estranged sister in N. Dakota before they can start the process to donate.

In Illinois (and several other states) signing your drivers license is legally binding. Which means that YOU have decided that YOUR organs are to be donated, and YOU are giving consent for their use. Much in the same way you sign before surgery giving the Dr the ok to do whatever is necessary. They don't stop and ask permission during the procedure as you have given beforehand.

Same in Illinios and other states with "First-Person Consent" or "Donor Rights" laws. As you have legally agreed to the donation your consent stands; they don't need anyone else. They will still talk to the family; but the organs are YOURS and YOU consent not your grieving family.

PS: My wife & I are both donors.

just1more

In many states the signature on your drivers license is not legally binding (ie it doesn't count for crap).

They still must find next-of-kin, even if it is your estranged sister in N. Dakota before they can start the process to donate.

In Illinois (and several other states) signing your drivers license is legally binding. Which means that YOU have decided that YOUR organs are to be donated, and YOU are giving consent for their use. Much in the same way you sign before surgery giving the Dr the ok to do whatever is necessary. They don't stop and ask permission during the procedure as you have given beforehand.

Same in Illinios and other states with "First-Person Consent" or "Donor Rights" laws. As you have legally agreed to the donation your consent stands; they don't need anyone else. They will still talk to the family; but the organs are YOURS and YOU consent not your grieving family.

just1more

just1more

just1more

<br />
<br />In many states the signature on your drivers license is not legally binding (ie it doesn't count for crap).
<br />
<br />They still must find next-of-kin, even if it is your estranged sister in N. Dakota before they can start the process to donate.
<br />
<br />In Illinois (and several other states) signing your drivers license is legally binding. Which means that YOU have decided that YOUR organs are to be donated, and YOU are giving consent for their use. Much in the same way you sign before surgery giving the Dr the ok to do whatever is necessary. They don't stop and ask permission during the procedure as you have given beforehand.
<br />
<br />Same in Illinios and other states with "First-Person Consent" or "Donor Rights" laws. As you have legally agreed to the donation your consent stands; they don't need anyone else. They will still talk to the family; but the organs are YOURS and YOU consent not your grieving family.
<br />
<br />PS: My wife & I are both donors.

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Kelli</b></i>

I guess there are some parts of her she doesn't want donated (corneas). But I thought they would always ask the family which parts were ok to use?! Is this not true?

</end quote></div>

Good point. I know on the NY License you have the choice of complete donation or listing the exact parts. I dont know the legal binding aspect, but you have a choice. I think that is only fair to offer.....for whatever reason if a person is willing to donate, but only some things. Better some then none, right?!

JazzysMom

I guess there are some parts of her she doesn't want donated (corneas). But I thought they would always ask the family which parts were ok to use?! Is this not true?

</end quote></div>

Good point. I know on the NY License you have the choice of complete donation or listing the exact parts. I dont know the legal binding aspect, but you have a choice. I think that is only fair to offer.....for whatever reason if a person is willing to donate, but only some things. Better some then none, right?!

JazzysMom

</end quote></div>

JazzysMom

</end quote>

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />I guess there are some parts of her she doesn't want donated (corneas). But I thought they would always ask the family which parts were ok to use?! Is this not true?
<br />
<br /></end quote>
<br />
<br />
<br />Good point. I know on the NY License you have the choice of complete donation or listing the exact parts. I dont know the legal binding aspect, but you have a choice. I think that is only fair to offer.....for whatever reason if a person is willing to donate, but only some things. Better some then none, right?!
<br />

julie

Absolutely an organ donor, as is Mark although there are certain things they can't use from a CFer there is pleanty that they can!

Also a bone marrow match for someone right now, I'm just waiting for the preliminary tests to come back.

julie

Absolutely an organ donor, as is Mark although there are certain things they can't use from a CFer there is pleanty that they can!

Also a bone marrow match for someone right now, I'm just waiting for the preliminary tests to come back.

julie

julie

julie

<br />
<br />Also a bone marrow match for someone right now, I'm just waiting for the preliminary tests to come back.

NYCLawGirl

Mel, NY state is similar to Illinois in that the contract you sign is legally binding. The idea here, as explained above, is just that your family or next of kin cannot override your wishes at the point when donation becomes a reality. Frankly, and this is not meant as a criticism of any other viewpoints, I think this form of first-person consent is preferable to requiring familial consent. Families are understandably rattled by the prospect of donation in many cases; they have just lost a loved one and are grieving. I'm pleased to live in a state that doesn't add to the stress and burden of families by asking them to choose whether or not they wish to respect their loved one's wishes in regards to donation. The person makes his or her own decision (perhaps in consultation with other family members), and the decision is made before it becomes urgent, and before the confusion and pain that comes with loss. It just seems fairer and more in line with the way we typically handle last wishes (wills, estates, etc) to let the individual decide and make that decision binding.

NYCLawGirl

Mel, NY state is similar to Illinois in that the contract you sign is legally binding. The idea here, as explained above, is just that your family or next of kin cannot override your wishes at the point when donation becomes a reality. Frankly, and this is not meant as a criticism of any other viewpoints, I think this form of first-person consent is preferable to requiring familial consent. Families are understandably rattled by the prospect of donation in many cases; they have just lost a loved one and are grieving. I'm pleased to live in a state that doesn't add to the stress and burden of families by asking them to choose whether or not they wish to respect their loved one's wishes in regards to donation. The person makes his or her own decision (perhaps in consultation with other family members), and the decision is made before it becomes urgent, and before the confusion and pain that comes with loss. It just seems fairer and more in line with the way we typically handle last wishes (wills, estates, etc) to let the individual decide and make that decision binding.

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl