If you use insulin

Jeana

So do you tell it how many carbs you are eating? If so, how is that different than dialing the shot yourself?

Jeana

So do you tell it how many carbs you are eating? If so, how is that different than dialing the shot yourself?

Jeana

Jeana

Jeana

ej0820

well Jeanna, that can be a long answer, but MY main answer for the difference between dialing shots and plugging it into the pump is that one involves a stick each time, and the other does not.

also, depending on your carb ratios, the pump doses more accurately. For example, I take 1 unit/10grams of carbs. If I eat something that has 17 grams of carbs in it, my pump will give me 1.7 units. With the shots, I only can dose either 1 unit or 2...not 1.7 (at least not spot on every time). This, I think, contributes LARGELY to the fact that having a pump has made me healthier. No more over or under bolusing.

ej0820

well Jeanna, that can be a long answer, but MY main answer for the difference between dialing shots and plugging it into the pump is that one involves a stick each time, and the other does not.

also, depending on your carb ratios, the pump doses more accurately. For example, I take 1 unit/10grams of carbs. If I eat something that has 17 grams of carbs in it, my pump will give me 1.7 units. With the shots, I only can dose either 1 unit or 2...not 1.7 (at least not spot on every time). This, I think, contributes LARGELY to the fact that having a pump has made me healthier. No more over or under bolusing.

ej0820

ej0820

ej0820

<br />
<br />also, depending on your carb ratios, the pump doses more accurately. For example, I take 1 unit/10grams of carbs. If I eat something that has 17 grams of carbs in it, my pump will give me 1.7 units. With the shots, I only can dose either 1 unit or 2...not 1.7 (at least not spot on every time). This, I think, contributes LARGELY to the fact that having a pump has made me healthier. No more over or under bolusing.

Andi2007

The actual shot doesn't really bother me, it's the hassle of having to do the whole procedure 3x/day. I liked my routine better when I wasn't on insulin.

I'm definitely not ready for an insulin pump. In my mind, it makes me sicker. Ridiculous, I know, but for me that's how it is.

Andi2007

The actual shot doesn't really bother me, it's the hassle of having to do the whole procedure 3x/day. I liked my routine better when I wasn't on insulin.

I'm definitely not ready for an insulin pump. In my mind, it makes me sicker. Ridiculous, I know, but for me that's how it is.

Andi2007

Andi2007

Andi2007

<br />
<br />I'm definitely not ready for an insulin pump. In my mind, it makes me sicker. Ridiculous, I know, but for me that's how it is.

coltsfan715

Andi,

I agree but now can also respectfully disagree when it comes to the pump and not being ready for one. I fought getting a pump for easily 3 years if not longer. My doc would literally beg me to consider it and I would just shake my head. I was fine with giving shots and didn't want to deal with something "else".

I have now had a pump for 2 years (I was diagnosed with CFRD 10 years ago) I am so thankful I have one now. It has made life a lot easier. Firstly for not having to stick myself repeatedly through the day. I hated eating sometimes because of having to check my sugar ... calculate how much insulin I needed or didn't need because of my sugar level. Calculating the amount of insulin I needed per carb count/meal. Mixing the insulins - if needed - and then giving the shot.

With the pump it cut that process easily in half. I check my sugar. I already pretty much knew carb wise what I ate - so now I just plug that into my pump and it calculates everything for me. There is no drawing up of medication, no having to prep an area to stick, no calculating doses. I just check my sugar, dial in my carbs and dial in the dose it tells me too and hit go and I am done. Fantastic.

It is easier as well to calculate when I am having lows how much food I should eat to bring up my sugar. I can tell how much medication is still in my system and get a rough estimate of the carbs I need to bring up the sugar.

Just all in all it has taken a tedious and obnoxious task down to something that I barely think about. I just do it now. I don't stress out about it except when I am going for extremely long periods without food. I do sometimes run low ... but before the pump my "too long without food" time was maybe 4 hours or I would get low. Now it is easily doubled.

I could go on and on but the pump for me has made dealing with the Diabetes 10 thousand times easier though sometimes it is still a bother overall it is just a "cell phone" or "ipod" I carry on my hip... I say that because most people see my pump and think it is a cell, pager or ipod NOT an insulin pump which I just laugh at.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Andi,

I agree but now can also respectfully disagree when it comes to the pump and not being ready for one. I fought getting a pump for easily 3 years if not longer. My doc would literally beg me to consider it and I would just shake my head. I was fine with giving shots and didn't want to deal with something "else".

I have now had a pump for 2 years (I was diagnosed with CFRD 10 years ago) I am so thankful I have one now. It has made life a lot easier. Firstly for not having to stick myself repeatedly through the day. I hated eating sometimes because of having to check my sugar ... calculate how much insulin I needed or didn't need because of my sugar level. Calculating the amount of insulin I needed per carb count/meal. Mixing the insulins - if needed - and then giving the shot.

With the pump it cut that process easily in half. I check my sugar. I already pretty much knew carb wise what I ate - so now I just plug that into my pump and it calculates everything for me. There is no drawing up of medication, no having to prep an area to stick, no calculating doses. I just check my sugar, dial in my carbs and dial in the dose it tells me too and hit go and I am done. Fantastic.

It is easier as well to calculate when I am having lows how much food I should eat to bring up my sugar. I can tell how much medication is still in my system and get a rough estimate of the carbs I need to bring up the sugar.

Just all in all it has taken a tedious and obnoxious task down to something that I barely think about. I just do it now. I don't stress out about it except when I am going for extremely long periods without food. I do sometimes run low ... but before the pump my "too long without food" time was maybe 4 hours or I would get low. Now it is easily doubled.

I could go on and on but the pump for me has made dealing with the Diabetes 10 thousand times easier though sometimes it is still a bother overall it is just a "cell phone" or "ipod" I carry on my hip... I say that because most people see my pump and think it is a cell, pager or ipod NOT an insulin pump which I just laugh at.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Andi,

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Andi,

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Andi,
<br />
<br />I agree but now can also respectfully disagree when it comes to the pump and not being ready for one. I fought getting a pump for easily 3 years if not longer. My doc would literally beg me to consider it and I would just shake my head. I was fine with giving shots and didn't want to deal with something "else".
<br />
<br />I have now had a pump for 2 years (I was diagnosed with CFRD 10 years ago) I am so thankful I have one now. It has made life a lot easier. Firstly for not having to stick myself repeatedly through the day. I hated eating sometimes because of having to check my sugar ... calculate how much insulin I needed or didn't need because of my sugar level. Calculating the amount of insulin I needed per carb count/meal. Mixing the insulins - if needed - and then giving the shot.
<br />
<br />With the pump it cut that process easily in half. I check my sugar. I already pretty much knew carb wise what I ate - so now I just plug that into my pump and it calculates everything for me. There is no drawing up of medication, no having to prep an area to stick, no calculating doses. I just check my sugar, dial in my carbs and dial in the dose it tells me too and hit go and I am done. Fantastic.
<br />
<br />It is easier as well to calculate when I am having lows how much food I should eat to bring up my sugar. I can tell how much medication is still in my system and get a rough estimate of the carbs I need to bring up the sugar.
<br />
<br />Just all in all it has taken a tedious and obnoxious task down to something that I barely think about. I just do it now. I don't stress out about it except when I am going for extremely long periods without food. I do sometimes run low ... but before the pump my "too long without food" time was maybe 4 hours or I would get low. Now it is easily doubled.
<br />
<br />I could go on and on but the pump for me has made dealing with the Diabetes 10 thousand times easier though sometimes it is still a bother overall it is just a "cell phone" or "ipod" I carry on my hip... I say that because most people see my pump and think it is a cell, pager or ipod NOT an insulin pump which I just laugh at.
<br />
<br />
<br />Lindsey
<br />