Infant CPT

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I wanted to add, that because we'd been doing cpt on ds 4 times a day since he was only a few days old, it actually calmed him and he would fall asleep or sleep thru his treatments. A friend of mine whose daughter was diagnosed until she was 18 months old struggled with CPT treatments -- she would scream and struggle the entire time.

K

Kaethe108

Our daughter is now almost 5 months old, dx with 6 weeks and we have Not been taught any cpt so far!?
We See a physiotherapist once a Week who Shows us how to nebulize. She showed us some stretching that we can do during the nebs but nothing Else so far...
What does a proper CPT Look like?

K

Kaethe108

Our daughter is now almost 5 months old, dx with 6 weeks and we have Not been taught any cpt so far!?
We See a physiotherapist once a Week who Shows us how to nebulize. She showed us some stretching that we can do during the nebs but nothing Else so far...
What does a proper CPT Look like?

K

Kaethe108

<br />We See a physiotherapist once a Week who Shows us how to nebulize. She showed us some stretching that we can do during the nebs but nothing Else so far...
<br />What does a proper CPT Look like?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Chest Physiotherapy or Bronchial Drainage consists of using either little pats or use of little rubber cups on different parts of the chest, armpit area and back.

Here are some links I found.. http://www.cff.org/UploadedFiles/treatments/Therapies/Respiratory/PosturalDrainage/An%20Introduction%20to%20Postural%20Drainage%20and%20Percussion%201-2006.pdf

Here's the one we used to learn on DS: http://www.childrensmn.org/Manuals/PFS/ChildDev/187862.pdf

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Chest Physiotherapy or Bronchial Drainage consists of using either little pats or use of little rubber cups on different parts of the chest, armpit area and back.

Here are some links I found.. http://www.cff.org/UploadedFiles/treatments/Therapies/Respiratory/PosturalDrainage/An%20Introduction%20to%20Postural%20Drainage%20and%20Percussion%201-2006.pdf

Here's the one we used to learn on DS: http://www.childrensmn.org/Manuals/PFS/ChildDev/187862.pdf

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />Here are some links I found.. http://www.cff.org/UploadedFiles/treatments/Therapies/Respiratory/PosturalDrainage/An%20Introduction%20to%20Postural%20Drainage%20and%20Percussion%201-2006.pdf
<br />
<br />Here's the one we used to learn on DS: http://www.childrensmn.org/Manuals/PFS/ChildDev/187862.pdf

KristenLilysMom

I also have a 5 month diagnosed at birth, we do CPT twice daily approx 10 minutes each. She has not started any lung meds and remains symptom free. As with others, the clinic suggested we start CPT preventatively to get her and us used to the routine of fitting it into our day. That being said we do notice she coughs more if we miss a session.

KristenLilysMom

I also have a 5 month diagnosed at birth, we do CPT twice daily approx 10 minutes each. She has not started any lung meds and remains symptom free. As with others, the clinic suggested we start CPT preventatively to get her and us used to the routine of fitting it into our day. That being said we do notice she coughs more if we miss a session.

KristenLilysMom

briarrose

When we do CPT, it's 20 minutes, 1 minute in each of 20 spots (1 minute each spot, pounding and vibration) and 6 different unique positions. However, we don't nebulize anything. We have a spacer with a mask we use to do the albuterol puffs, but they haven't given us anything to nebulize.

I think we'll up to twice a day and see how he does with it. I'd much rather he get used to 2 (and get any added benefits from a second treatment) than not do it enough for him and he end up with earlier lung damage because of the delay.

briarrose

When we do CPT, it's 20 minutes, 1 minute in each of 20 spots (1 minute each spot, pounding and vibration) and 6 different unique positions. However, we don't nebulize anything. We have a spacer with a mask we use to do the albuterol puffs, but they haven't given us anything to nebulize.

I think we'll up to twice a day and see how he does with it. I'd much rather he get used to 2 (and get any added benefits from a second treatment) than not do it enough for him and he end up with earlier lung damage because of the delay.

briarrose

<br />
<br />I think we'll up to twice a day and see how he does with it. I'd much rather he get used to 2 (and get any added benefits from a second treatment) than not do it enough for him and he end up with earlier lung damage because of the delay.

M

Mayasmom

We did chest PT twice a day for 20 minutes since day one. We started with a tiny percussor cup on the end of a plastic handle. After that we moved to a handheld bigger rubber percussor cup and then moved to using our hands when she got big enough so we werent hitting below the ribcage. She loved it and went to sleep every single time! I would encourage you to do it twice a day. It will help in the long run and will certainly not hurt! Good luck.

M

Mayasmom

We did chest PT twice a day for 20 minutes since day one. We started with a tiny percussor cup on the end of a plastic handle. After that we moved to a handheld bigger rubber percussor cup and then moved to using our hands when she got big enough so we werent hitting below the ribcage. She loved it and went to sleep every single time! I would encourage you to do it twice a day. It will help in the long run and will certainly not hurt! Good luck.

M

Mayasmom

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I was reading thru some info regarding the NACF conference last weekend on someone's blog and I saw mention of new studies regarding newborns who were showing signs of airtrapping and other issues. Will try to find that reference, but I believe it was refering to the importance of being proactive asap before obvious symptoms occur.