Insurance denied a new vest

laulau555

I'm in the same boat, I have the big vest that you can't move unless it has wheels and i'm trying to get a smaller more portable one for college. We argued that it would increase my compliance since lugging home a machine that weighs more than I do whenever I go home would discourage me from bringing it home altogether and thus discourage me from doing my vest when I am home. I don't think it is unreasonable for you to try to get a better one. The only progress we got was that they would give us a credit for the vest I have now and make us pay $5000 (over a period of a few years) for a new one. We are appealing it for insurance, and if they don't change their minds we're just sacrificing the $5000, although this is hard while paying for college it's worth me staying compliant. So maybe try seeing if you could get a credit for the vest you have now?

laulau555

I'm in the same boat, I have the big vest that you can't move unless it has wheels and i'm trying to get a smaller more portable one for college. We argued that it would increase my compliance since lugging home a machine that weighs more than I do whenever I go home would discourage me from bringing it home altogether and thus discourage me from doing my vest when I am home. I don't think it is unreasonable for you to try to get a better one. The only progress we got was that they would give us a credit for the vest I have now and make us pay $5000 (over a period of a few years) for a new one. We are appealing it for insurance, and if they don't change their minds we're just sacrificing the $5000, although this is hard while paying for college it's worth me staying compliant. So maybe try seeing if you could get a credit for the vest you have now?

laulau555

laulau555

laulau555

Andi2007

Has the technology on the Hill-Rom's changed at all? Or have the models just gotten smaller? Would you say a new and an old Hill-Rom do the same thing? I don't want to swap my vest for a weaker one.

Yes, I now know there are other companies. As I mentioned, I spoke with Respirtech and I'm going to talk to my dr about it next week. It seems that my options are:

1) Try to appeal the denial of the Hill-Rom model. Insurance would have to pay $6000 for the upgrade

2) Try to get the Respirtech incourage, since from what I read it sounds like this vest uses a different method and is more effective. Perhaps because of this insurance will see it as a reason. Insurance would have to pay $14,000 + for a new machine.

I read all the replies once. Other than the technology of the new vest, I don't know that there is any other medical justification. It would be one thing if I travelled for work - a smaller vest to travel w/ would be a must. But since I travel for fun and to visit friends, how would insurance see that as justification to pay?

Andi2007

Has the technology on the Hill-Rom's changed at all? Or have the models just gotten smaller? Would you say a new and an old Hill-Rom do the same thing? I don't want to swap my vest for a weaker one.

Yes, I now know there are other companies. As I mentioned, I spoke with Respirtech and I'm going to talk to my dr about it next week. It seems that my options are:

1) Try to appeal the denial of the Hill-Rom model. Insurance would have to pay $6000 for the upgrade

2) Try to get the Respirtech incourage, since from what I read it sounds like this vest uses a different method and is more effective. Perhaps because of this insurance will see it as a reason. Insurance would have to pay $14,000 + for a new machine.

I read all the replies once. Other than the technology of the new vest, I don't know that there is any other medical justification. It would be one thing if I travelled for work - a smaller vest to travel w/ would be a must. But since I travel for fun and to visit friends, how would insurance see that as justification to pay?

Andi2007

Andi2007

Andi2007

<br />
<br />Yes, I now know there are other companies. As I mentioned, I spoke with Respirtech and I'm going to talk to my dr about it next week. It seems that my options are:
<br />
<br />1) Try to appeal the denial of the Hill-Rom model. Insurance would have to pay $6000 for the upgrade
<br />
<br />2) Try to get the Respirtech incourage, since from what I read it sounds like this vest uses a different method and is more effective. Perhaps because of this insurance will see it as a reason. Insurance would have to pay $14,000 + for a new machine.
<br />
<br />I read all the replies once. Other than the technology of the new vest, I don't know that there is any other medical justification. It would be one thing if I travelled for work - a smaller vest to travel w/ would be a must. But since I travel for fun and to visit friends, how would insurance see that as justification to pay?

saveferris2009

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Andi2007</b></i>

Other than the technology of the new vest, I don't know that there is any other medical justification. </end quote></div>

that's a HUGE justification!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't minimize that!

That will have an impact on your health.

saveferris2009

Other than the technology of the new vest, I don't know that there is any other medical justification. </end quote></div>

that's a HUGE justification!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't minimize that!

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

Other than the technology of the new vest, I don't know that there is any other medical justification. </end quote>

saveferris2009

<br />
<br />
<br /> Other than the technology of the new vest, I don't know that there is any other medical justification. </end quote>
<br />
<br />
<br />that's a HUGE justification!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't minimize that!
<br />
<br />That will have an impact on your health.