Insurance denied a new vest

jbrandonAW

I have the old style "VEST" and I also have a "Smart Vest" I love my smart vest. I find that its alot more comfortable than the older hillrom vest. I am finding now though that I am going to have to use my old vest for a little while b/c of my gtube I have to use the 1/2 wrap until I can handle my vest(b/c I haven't been able to find something like that offered by smartvest). The smart vest came with a nice travel case -but its still really heavy.

As for the acapella...I have been to SEVERAL differet CF clinics and I have been told that PROVIDED you can sit and do all 6 sets of 15 PROPERLY then the acapella is VERY good for CPT as it actually causes you to use your lungs. The problem is that most people get lazy with it. I had a much higher lung function when I used my acapella, but I had to stop b/c it was causing my migraines.

jbrandonAW

I have the old style "VEST" and I also have a "Smart Vest" I love my smart vest. I find that its alot more comfortable than the older hillrom vest. I am finding now though that I am going to have to use my old vest for a little while b/c of my gtube I have to use the 1/2 wrap until I can handle my vest(b/c I haven't been able to find something like that offered by smartvest). The smart vest came with a nice travel case -but its still really heavy.

As for the acapella...I have been to SEVERAL differet CF clinics and I have been told that PROVIDED you can sit and do all 6 sets of 15 PROPERLY then the acapella is VERY good for CPT as it actually causes you to use your lungs. The problem is that most people get lazy with it. I had a much higher lung function when I used my acapella, but I had to stop b/c it was causing my migraines.

jbrandonAW

jbrandonAW

jbrandonAW

<br />
<br />As for the acapella...I have been to SEVERAL differet CF clinics and I have been told that PROVIDED you can sit and do all 6 sets of 15 PROPERLY then the acapella is VERY good for CPT as it actually causes you to use your lungs. The problem is that most people get lazy with it. I had a much higher lung function when I used my acapella, but I had to stop b/c it was causing my migraines.

kmaried

Just my two cents about the many topics in this thread!...

I tried when I was in college to be upgraded to the Hillrom 104 from the 103. I was travelling back between NJ and Boston (home and college) many times a year, and each time my parents had to pick me up b/c there was no way I could manage bringing the 103 on the train by myself. Way too heavy, and I was weak as it was. I appealled and appealled (with my mom's diligent help) but it never worked. Same deal. I had a functioning vest already - that the same insurance company had bought - end of story. Oh, and a new vest is 16k, but the UPGRADE cost is less... that was around 6k years ago - not sure what it is now.

A few years out of college, my vest actually broke and they replaced it with a 103. Go figure - I would have loved that during college!

I have tried and tried with the acapella and never found the results to be very good. I lug the vest with me (albeit the 104) wherever I go. The flutter, acapella, or manual cpt just doesn't make me feel as clear as the vest. But, that is just me. I also feel that these different techniques should be revisited once in a while - because I think our bodies do change!

So for me, the flutter would be better than nothing, but certainly not equal to the vest. I wonder, too -- that may be because since the flutter requires manual effort, I wouldn't be able to tolerate it for much more than 5 blows. I do an hour on the vest. So maybe an hour on the vest > 5 acapella blows. Once again, for me.

Good luck!
Kris

kmaried

I tried when I was in college to be upgraded to the Hillrom 104 from the 103. I was travelling back between NJ and Boston (home and college) many times a year, and each time my parents had to pick me up b/c there was no way I could manage bringing the 103 on the train by myself. Way too heavy, and I was weak as it was. I appealled and appealled (with my mom's diligent help) but it never worked. Same deal. I had a functioning vest already - that the same insurance company had bought - end of story. Oh, and a new vest is 16k, but the UPGRADE cost is less... that was around 6k years ago - not sure what it is now.

A few years out of college, my vest actually broke and they replaced it with a 103. Go figure - I would have loved that during college!

I have tried and tried with the acapella and never found the results to be very good. I lug the vest with me (albeit the 104) wherever I go. The flutter, acapella, or manual cpt just doesn't make me feel as clear as the vest. But, that is just me. I also feel that these different techniques should be revisited once in a while - because I think our bodies do change!

So for me, the flutter would be better than nothing, but certainly not equal to the vest. I wonder, too -- that may be because since the flutter requires manual effort, I wouldn't be able to tolerate it for much more than 5 blows. I do an hour on the vest. So maybe an hour on the vest > 5 acapella blows. Once again, for me.

Good luck!
Kris

kmaried

Good luck!
Kris

kmaried

Good luck!
Kris

kmaried

<br />
<br />I tried when I was in college to be upgraded to the Hillrom 104 from the 103. I was travelling back between NJ and Boston (home and college) many times a year, and each time my parents had to pick me up b/c there was no way I could manage bringing the 103 on the train by myself. Way too heavy, and I was weak as it was. I appealled and appealled (with my mom's diligent help) but it never worked. Same deal. I had a functioning vest already - that the same insurance company had bought - end of story. Oh, and a new vest is 16k, but the UPGRADE cost is less... that was around 6k years ago - not sure what it is now.
<br />
<br />A few years out of college, my vest actually broke and they replaced it with a 103. Go figure - I would have loved that during college!
<br />
<br />I have tried and tried with the acapella and never found the results to be very good. I lug the vest with me (albeit the 104) wherever I go. The flutter, acapella, or manual cpt just doesn't make me feel as clear as the vest. But, that is just me. I also feel that these different techniques should be revisited once in a while - because I think our bodies do change!
<br />
<br />So for me, the flutter would be better than nothing, but certainly not equal to the vest. I wonder, too -- that may be because since the flutter requires manual effort, I wouldn't be able to tolerate it for much more than 5 blows. I do an hour on the vest. So maybe an hour on the vest > 5 acapella blows. Once again, for me.
<br />
<br />Good luck!
<br />Kris

Brad

i use the Acapella after nebs and anytime I am feeling tight and junky.
It works great for me.

I have many Flutter's they just never worked as well as the Acapella.
I have never Used a Vest, although many people tell me they help.
I have had a number of folks say they see no difference between the two. ( vest an Acapella )
Just like any other Treatment or Med, Nothing works the Same for Everyone.

Good Luck Getting Your New Vest, I hope it Does a Good Job for You
and gets all the junk moving and out..

I Guess I should say that I use the Acapella for about 10 mins a day..
10 good blows at a time, resting when needed and stopping for good clearing coughs.

Brad

It works great for me.

I have had a number of folks say they see no difference between the two. ( vest an Acapella )

10 good blows at a time, resting when needed and stopping for good clearing coughs.

Brad

It works great for me.

Brad

It works great for me.

Brad

<br /> It works great for me.
<br />
<br /> I have many Flutter's they just never worked as well as the Acapella.
<br /> I have never Used a Vest, although many people tell me they help.
<br /> I have had a number of folks say they see no difference between the two. ( vest an Acapella )
<br /> Just like any other Treatment or Med, Nothing works the Same for Everyone.
<br />
<br /> Good Luck Getting Your New Vest, I hope it Does a Good Job for You
<br /> and gets all the junk moving and out..
<br />
<br /> I Guess I should say that I use the Acapella for about 10 mins a day..
<br /> 10 good blows at a time, resting when needed and stopping for good clearing coughs.
<br />

Lamp

Is the incourage and smartvest the same thing? I was looking them up and the same image comes up for both. I've always went through Hil-Rom so I've always just known their vest. I have the 104 from Hil-Rom. I agree, the tubes popping out all the time is annoying!! But I deal since its what I got. Not to bad to travel with either. (compared to the 103 its a dream weight and size wise) My sister has the smart vest and I thought it was weak. I felt like it really wasn't doing much. She said she had it on a high setting but who knows whats high to her.

Lamp

Is the incourage and smartvest the same thing? I was looking them up and the same image comes up for both. I've always went through Hil-Rom so I've always just known their vest. I have the 104 from Hil-Rom. I agree, the tubes popping out all the time is annoying!! But I deal since its what I got. Not to bad to travel with either. (compared to the 103 its a dream weight and size wise) My sister has the smart vest and I thought it was weak. I felt like it really wasn't doing much. She said she had it on a high setting but who knows whats high to her.

Lamp

Lamp

Lamp