Insurance denied a new vest

saveferris2009

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>TestifyToLove</b></i>

We were told by our CF center that if M does Acapella 6 blows for at least 4-5 seconds each and repeated at least 5 times that its the same ACT as using the vest and easier for travel.

</end quote></div>

WOw that's an incredibly bold statement. Do they have any studies to back this up?

If that was the truth, I'd think the Vest would no longer be in business. Smaller device, less time.

Something tells me that your clinic is making a pretty unsupported statement

saveferris2009

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>TestifyToLove</b></i>

We were told by our CF center that if M does Acapella 6 blows for at least 4-5 seconds each and repeated at least 5 times that its the same ACT as using the vest and easier for travel.

</end quote></div>

WOw that's an incredibly bold statement. Do they have any studies to back this up?

If that was the truth, I'd think the Vest would no longer be in business. Smaller device, less time.

saveferris2009

</end quote></div>

saveferris2009

</end quote>

saveferris2009

<br />
<br />
<br />We were told by our CF center that if M does Acapella 6 blows for at least 4-5 seconds each and repeated at least 5 times that its the same ACT as using the vest and easier for travel.
<br />
<br /></end quote>
<br />
<br />WOw that's an incredibly bold statement. Do they have any studies to back this up?
<br />
<br />If that was the truth, I'd think the Vest would no longer be in business. Smaller device, less time.
<br />
<br />Something tells me that your clinic is making a pretty unsupported statement

JennifersHope

I agree with Amy, that doesn't sound like sound medical advice at all, Just today as I was discharged from the hospital I was given an acapella and specifically told by CF specialized RTs that the acapella is NOT a replacement to the vest but rather an ADDITION.

I would be careful to just let a child who probably doesn't have great breathing styles down yet to just do that. It is kind of hard to speak about using the vest unles you have personal experience using it.

I will say for me the oldest version of the Hillrom works best for me, even better then the inCourage vest but I am an overweight CFer and I find that the 103 has the most power behind it and does the best job for me.

I hate the 104, hate it, hate it hate it, I would honestly consider giving it away, The tubes pop off all the time, It leaks air etc

The enCourage at least locks into place and doesn't have tubes popping off all over the place and it also has vests custom fit for your own size.

I do hope you get a vest that fits your needs better

JennifersHope

I agree with Amy, that doesn't sound like sound medical advice at all, Just today as I was discharged from the hospital I was given an acapella and specifically told by CF specialized RTs that the acapella is NOT a replacement to the vest but rather an ADDITION.

I would be careful to just let a child who probably doesn't have great breathing styles down yet to just do that. It is kind of hard to speak about using the vest unles you have personal experience using it.

I will say for me the oldest version of the Hillrom works best for me, even better then the inCourage vest but I am an overweight CFer and I find that the 103 has the most power behind it and does the best job for me.

I hate the 104, hate it, hate it hate it, I would honestly consider giving it away, The tubes pop off all the time, It leaks air etc

The enCourage at least locks into place and doesn't have tubes popping off all over the place and it also has vests custom fit for your own size.

JennifersHope

JennifersHope

JennifersHope

<br />
<br />I would be careful to just let a child who probably doesn't have great breathing styles down yet to just do that. It is kind of hard to speak about using the vest unles you have personal experience using it.
<br />
<br />I will say for me the oldest version of the Hillrom works best for me, even better then the inCourage vest but I am an overweight CFer and I find that the 103 has the most power behind it and does the best job for me.
<br />
<br />I hate the 104, hate it, hate it hate it, I would honestly consider giving it away, The tubes pop off all the time, It leaks air etc
<br />
<br />The enCourage at least locks into place and doesn't have tubes popping off all over the place and it also has vests custom fit for your own size.
<br />
<br />I do hope you get a vest that fits your needs better

TestifyToLove

Trust me, we don't use Acapella in leu of the vest for M. If you assume that any 7 year old could consistently maintain track of the technique and reps, you'd still be stuck with the fact that M has PDD and an IQ of 57. We took the Acapella camping instead of the vest once and I could not get M to do it properly for 2 days.

But, for an ault who is wanting a portable option for travel, Acapella IS a viable option. Its certainly better than skipping ACTs during travel. And, if appealing insurance (or even just for travel occurring while fighting insurance) Acapella is far cheaper than a vest out of pocket, especially since the OP states that the express reason they are wanting a new system is for travel purposes.

Are you telling me that Acapella is not a viable and portable option for travel purposes, particularily in a situation such as the OP where they opted to not transport their vest and went without vital treatments for 2 weeks while traveling?

I hardly think comparing Acapella for daily use versus any vest in *my* son with his unique challenges is fair nor the focus of this topic. But, if insurance refuses to pay for a new generation vest, then Acapella or Flutter is a perfectly viable option for someone wanting something more travel-friendly than a 10 year old vest.

TestifyToLove

Trust me, we don't use Acapella in leu of the vest for M. If you assume that any 7 year old could consistently maintain track of the technique and reps, you'd still be stuck with the fact that M has PDD and an IQ of 57. We took the Acapella camping instead of the vest once and I could not get M to do it properly for 2 days.

But, for an ault who is wanting a portable option for travel, Acapella IS a viable option. Its certainly better than skipping ACTs during travel. And, if appealing insurance (or even just for travel occurring while fighting insurance) Acapella is far cheaper than a vest out of pocket, especially since the OP states that the express reason they are wanting a new system is for travel purposes.

Are you telling me that Acapella is not a viable and portable option for travel purposes, particularily in a situation such as the OP where they opted to not transport their vest and went without vital treatments for 2 weeks while traveling?

I hardly think comparing Acapella for daily use versus any vest in *my* son with his unique challenges is fair nor the focus of this topic. But, if insurance refuses to pay for a new generation vest, then Acapella or Flutter is a perfectly viable option for someone wanting something more travel-friendly than a 10 year old vest.

TestifyToLove

TestifyToLove

TestifyToLove

<br />
<br />But, for an ault who is wanting a portable option for travel, Acapella IS a viable option. Its certainly better than skipping ACTs during travel. And, if appealing insurance (or even just for travel occurring while fighting insurance) Acapella is far cheaper than a vest out of pocket, especially since the OP states that the express reason they are wanting a new system is for travel purposes.
<br />
<br />Are you telling me that Acapella is not a viable and portable option for travel purposes, particularily in a situation such as the OP where they opted to not transport their vest and went without vital treatments for 2 weeks while traveling?
<br />
<br />I hardly think comparing Acapella for daily use versus any vest in *my* son with his unique challenges is fair nor the focus of this topic. But, if insurance refuses to pay for a new generation vest, then Acapella or Flutter is a perfectly viable option for someone wanting something more travel-friendly than a 10 year old vest.

JennifersHope

We don't agree not a big deal..you did say it was the same act as doing the vest, that I don't agree with. Yes better then doing nothing but no not the same as doing the vest.... I don't want to even think about it anymore... we don't have to agree.... like I said, we all just want the same thing anyway

I hope the OP got some helpful ways to get a new vest which is what they wanted to begin with...... The inCourage comes with a great travel pack with wheels and it is not to hard to manage with.....

Best of luck.

JennifersHope

We don't agree not a big deal..you did say it was the same act as doing the vest, that I don't agree with. Yes better then doing nothing but no not the same as doing the vest.... I don't want to even think about it anymore... we don't have to agree.... like I said, we all just want the same thing anyway

I hope the OP got some helpful ways to get a new vest which is what they wanted to begin with...... The inCourage comes with a great travel pack with wheels and it is not to hard to manage with.....

Best of luck.

JennifersHope

Best of luck.

JennifersHope

Best of luck.

JennifersHope

<br />
<br />I hope the OP got some helpful ways to get a new vest which is what they wanted to begin with...... The inCourage comes with a great travel pack with wheels and it is not to hard to manage with.....
<br />
<br />Best of luck.