Insurance denied a new vest

hmw

When you say you've had your vest for 8yrs and it seems fine, do you mean the unit itself, or do you mean she's still using the first vest she was fitted for, too? If so, I would want to be sure she hasn't outgrown whatever she started with that long ago since proper fit is essential to getting the full benefit from her sessions.

Effectiveness would also diminish if there were any cracks or leaks in the hoses or vest itself, since the pressure would not be maintained throughout the session as it should be, and it doesn't necessarily take a big, obvious hole for this to happen. If the vest or hoses are very old this could be more likely to be an issue. I agree with giving the company a call; maybe having someone taking a look at the unit while your daughter is doing a session to see if all is as it should be, if you have any concerns, would be a good idea.

We were told the same as above; Hill-Rom will maintain the compressor for as long as we own it, as well as replace the vest and hoses whenever necessary, whether Emily outgrows one or if one breaks. (I am sure the long-term servicing involved is part of why these things cost so much in the first place.)

hmw

When you say you've had your vest for 8yrs and it seems fine, do you mean the unit itself, or do you mean she's still using the first vest she was fitted for, too? If so, I would want to be sure she hasn't outgrown whatever she started with that long ago since proper fit is essential to getting the full benefit from her sessions.

Effectiveness would also diminish if there were any cracks or leaks in the hoses or vest itself, since the pressure would not be maintained throughout the session as it should be, and it doesn't necessarily take a big, obvious hole for this to happen. If the vest or hoses are very old this could be more likely to be an issue. I agree with giving the company a call; maybe having someone taking a look at the unit while your daughter is doing a session to see if all is as it should be, if you have any concerns, would be a good idea.

We were told the same as above; Hill-Rom will maintain the compressor for as long as we own it, as well as replace the vest and hoses whenever necessary, whether Emily outgrows one or if one breaks. (I am sure the long-term servicing involved is part of why these things cost so much in the first place.)

hmw

hmw

hmw

<br />
<br />Effectiveness would also diminish if there were any cracks or leaks in the hoses or vest itself, since the pressure would not be maintained throughout the session as it should be, and it doesn't necessarily take a big, obvious hole for this to happen. If the vest or hoses are very old this could be more likely to be an issue. I agree with giving the company a call; maybe having someone taking a look at the unit while your daughter is doing a session to see if all is as it should be, if you have any concerns, would be a good idea.
<br />
<br />We were told the same as above; Hill-Rom will maintain the compressor for as long as we own it, as well as replace the vest and hoses whenever necessary, whether Emily outgrows one or if one breaks. (I am sure the long-term servicing involved is part of why these things cost so much in the first place.)

Andi2007

My vest is an ABI Vest - the old machine that weighs a ton. I would like to have a smaller model that is travel-friendly. I'm sure insurance won't see this as a suitable reason for getting me a new vest. I spent two weeks in Italy this spring, and about a month later was the lucky winner of a 2-week hospital clean out. My first hospital visit in 4 years. Insurance paying for a $6000 vest seems a lot more reasonable then paying for more hospital stays.

The company I was working with was Hill-Rom. I don't know of any other vest options. And regardless, I'm still in the same boat.

Also, the insurance company is the one to say my condition didn't change. To me, going to the hospital for the first time in 4 years is a change in condition.

So that's where I'm at.

Andi2007

My vest is an ABI Vest - the old machine that weighs a ton. I would like to have a smaller model that is travel-friendly. I'm sure insurance won't see this as a suitable reason for getting me a new vest. I spent two weeks in Italy this spring, and about a month later was the lucky winner of a 2-week hospital clean out. My first hospital visit in 4 years. Insurance paying for a $6000 vest seems a lot more reasonable then paying for more hospital stays.

The company I was working with was Hill-Rom. I don't know of any other vest options. And regardless, I'm still in the same boat.

Also, the insurance company is the one to say my condition didn't change. To me, going to the hospital for the first time in 4 years is a change in condition.

So that's where I'm at.

Andi2007

So that's where I'm at.

Andi2007

So that's where I'm at.

Andi2007

<br />
<br />The company I was working with was Hill-Rom. I don't know of any other vest options. And regardless, I'm still in the same boat.
<br />
<br />Also, the insurance company is the one to say my condition didn't change. To me, going to the hospital for the first time in 4 years is a change in condition.
<br />
<br />So that's where I'm at.

UsualSuspect

You have 3 machines to choose from now, Andi. You might as well kick the tires if you are in the market for a new one, regardless of whether it gets approved or not. If your PFT's have declined over time, that could be a reason to get a different technology, which one of the 3 may be able to offer. You can always appeal a denial as well. Depending on which center you go to, they may have all 3 machines for you to try.

UsualSuspect

You have 3 machines to choose from now, Andi. You might as well kick the tires if you are in the market for a new one, regardless of whether it gets approved or not. If your PFT's have declined over time, that could be a reason to get a different technology, which one of the 3 may be able to offer. You can always appeal a denial as well. Depending on which center you go to, they may have all 3 machines for you to try.

UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect

Andi2007

I definitely have some researching to do. Saveferris's blog seems like a great place to start. And luckily, I have a dr appt next Wednesday, so I'll ask if they have different vests to try.

I would say my vest has been working great. It's kept me out of the hospital for several years. The problem comes when I'm not at home and can't use it.

Andi2007

I definitely have some researching to do. Saveferris's blog seems like a great place to start. And luckily, I have a dr appt next Wednesday, so I'll ask if they have different vests to try.

I would say my vest has been working great. It's kept me out of the hospital for several years. The problem comes when I'm not at home and can't use it.

Andi2007

Andi2007

Andi2007

<br />
<br />I would say my vest has been working great. It's kept me out of the hospital for several years. The problem comes when I'm not at home and can't use it.
<br />
<br />