Interesting article on giving up the ghost

jesta36

i work at a skateshop where i live, im 29 and the oldest skateboarder around. despite my CF i continue to strive and be a role model to kids to live life, look death in the eye and dont turn your back on it kuzz its there, with everybody. they were all sitting arounf the sho pone day and i had a really bad cough attack, and i sit down when i cough, i got up and started laughing.. they asked me if my disease could kill me. i said yes, it could. but i told them death dont control me and niether does fear....i get picc lines like every 3 months now and when i do im still out on my skateboard rollin with the kids i cant ever catch up with! LOL... death is near but just like any other problem, it dont control my i control it. one love.

jesta36

i work at a skateshop where i live, im 29 and the oldest skateboarder around. despite my CF i continue to strive and be a role model to kids to live life, look death in the eye and dont turn your back on it kuzz its there, with everybody. they were all sitting arounf the sho pone day and i had a really bad cough attack, and i sit down when i cough, i got up and started laughing.. they asked me if my disease could kill me. i said yes, it could. but i told them death dont control me and niether does fear....i get picc lines like every 3 months now and when i do im still out on my skateboard rollin with the kids i cant ever catch up with! LOL... death is near but just like any other problem, it dont control my i control it. one love.

jesta36

jesta36

jesta36

Mockingbird

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>This is what I can't forget: the look they had as they read the writing on the wall like Belshazzar did at his feast in the Bible story, faced at the height of his power with the message that he was about to die. Just what people see as they read that message is, I suspect, the most important fact about death. I know that fact escapes my grasp, but I keep reaching for it, all the same. </end quote></div>

I thought some of you might want to know more about this allusion. "Belshazzar the king held a great feast for a thousand of his nobles, and he was drinking wine in the presence of the thousand... Suddenly the fingers of a man's hand emerged and began writing opposite the lampstand on the plaster of the wall of the king's palace, and the king saw the back of the hand that did the writing. Then the king's face grew pale and his thoughts alarmed him, and his hip joints went slack and his knees went knocking together..." Daniel 5:1, 5-6.

Now, at this point the king's fear was purely from seeing such a weird event as a disembodied hand writing on a wall. He could not read the inscription himself, nor could he understand its meaning. He called for every conjurer, astrologer, and diviner he could think of, but no one was able to interpret it. Fortunately, his wife knew of someone who could, Daniel.

"Now this is the inscription that was written out:
'MENE, MENE, TEKEL, UPHARSIN.'
This is the interpretation of the message:
'MENE' -- God has numbered your kingdom and put an end to it.
'TEKEL' -- you have been weighed on the scales and found deficient
'PERES' -- your kingdom has been divided and given over to the Medes and Persians." Daniel 5:25-28

That same night Belshazzar the Chaldean king was slain. Now, Dr. Holt mentions the most important fact about death, and how it keeps escaping his grasp. Fortunately for us, Daniel already interpreted it; God has numbered our days and put an end to them, we have been weighed on the scales and found to be deficient, and our lives have been divided and given over to pain and suffering.

Now, if that's what death is, I'm not sure acceptance is the best policy; not if there's another way out. When the doctor spoke about the last patient, the "locked in" patient, he said, "We hadn't really been wrong. The patient was locked in - as locked in as we all are, in this mortal shell, with only one way out. But the prison door hadn't closed on him quite yet."

"One way out", meaning death, of course, but what's this about a closing prison door? If we are in a prison, does that not mean we have been judged, and found to be deficient? Furthermore, if the door is still closing, then one would have to come to the conclusion that while we sit condemned in our prison cell, the door remains open, right?

I notice the doctor never came to the conclusion that we should accept death, but that we should not allow it to have power over us. In fact, he clearly tells us to Melvin death (a.k.a. give death a wedgie).

"God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life." Romans 5:8-10

Or in other words, Jesus Christ is the reason that prison door remains open, and it is He who gives us the power to walk outside that prison cell and totally Melvin death. Even if we accept death, we are still subject to death. It is only through Christ we are able to overpower death. Yes, the prison door will inevitably close, meaning our physical bodies will die, but when that door closes, will your soul remain inside the cell, or outside it?

Mockingbird

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>This is what I can't forget: the look they had as they read the writing on the wall like Belshazzar did at his feast in the Bible story, faced at the height of his power with the message that he was about to die. Just what people see as they read that message is, I suspect, the most important fact about death. I know that fact escapes my grasp, but I keep reaching for it, all the same. </end quote></div>

I thought some of you might want to know more about this allusion. "Belshazzar the king held a great feast for a thousand of his nobles, and he was drinking wine in the presence of the thousand... Suddenly the fingers of a man's hand emerged and began writing opposite the lampstand on the plaster of the wall of the king's palace, and the king saw the back of the hand that did the writing. Then the king's face grew pale and his thoughts alarmed him, and his hip joints went slack and his knees went knocking together..." Daniel 5:1, 5-6.

Now, at this point the king's fear was purely from seeing such a weird event as a disembodied hand writing on a wall. He could not read the inscription himself, nor could he understand its meaning. He called for every conjurer, astrologer, and diviner he could think of, but no one was able to interpret it. Fortunately, his wife knew of someone who could, Daniel.

'PERES' -- your kingdom has been divided and given over to the Medes and Persians." Daniel 5:25-28

That same night Belshazzar the Chaldean king was slain. Now, Dr. Holt mentions the most important fact about death, and how it keeps escaping his grasp. Fortunately for us, Daniel already interpreted it; God has numbered our days and put an end to them, we have been weighed on the scales and found to be deficient, and our lives have been divided and given over to pain and suffering.

Now, if that's what death is, I'm not sure acceptance is the best policy; not if there's another way out. When the doctor spoke about the last patient, the "locked in" patient, he said, "We hadn't really been wrong. The patient was locked in - as locked in as we all are, in this mortal shell, with only one way out. But the prison door hadn't closed on him quite yet."

"One way out", meaning death, of course, but what's this about a closing prison door? If we are in a prison, does that not mean we have been judged, and found to be deficient? Furthermore, if the door is still closing, then one would have to come to the conclusion that while we sit condemned in our prison cell, the door remains open, right?

I notice the doctor never came to the conclusion that we should accept death, but that we should not allow it to have power over us. In fact, he clearly tells us to Melvin death (a.k.a. give death a wedgie).

"God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life." Romans 5:8-10

Or in other words, Jesus Christ is the reason that prison door remains open, and it is He who gives us the power to walk outside that prison cell and totally Melvin death. Even if we accept death, we are still subject to death. It is only through Christ we are able to overpower death. Yes, the prison door will inevitably close, meaning our physical bodies will die, but when that door closes, will your soul remain inside the cell, or outside it?

Mockingbird

Mockingbird

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>This is what I can't forget: the look they had as they read the writing on the wall like Belshazzar did at his feast in the Bible story, faced at the height of his power with the message that he was about to die. Just what people see as they read that message is, I suspect, the most important fact about death. I know that fact escapes my grasp, but I keep reaching for it, all the same. </end quote>

Mockingbird

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>This is what I can't forget: the look they had as they read the writing on the wall like Belshazzar did at his feast in the Bible story, faced at the height of his power with the message that he was about to die. Just what people see as they read that message is, I suspect, the most important fact about death. I know that fact escapes my grasp, but I keep reaching for it, all the same. </end quote>

Faust

Thank you for that very engaging theological perspective on death Mockingbird. That is something I have not heard before, so please share that refreshing viewpoint with the rest of us in case others are not aware of Jesus.

Faust

Thank you for that very engaging theological perspective on death Mockingbird. That is something I have not heard before, so please share that refreshing viewpoint with the rest of us in case others are not aware of Jesus.

Faust

Faust

Faust