IUI when male has CF?

PedsNP2007

Hi,
IUI doesn't mean you are at a higher risk of multiples unless you use stimulating medications. I am considering IUI to get past the cervical mucus. If you use a fertility monitor (I'm using easy clear blue), you can monitor your ovulation and the times in your cycle that you are most fertile. If you still don't conceive (given you have an appropriate number of sperm that is necessary), then you move on to fertility meds. Usually a RE will let you do 3 unmedicated IUIs before moving on to clomid, etc.

I'm hoping I won't have to do fertility meds. I would prefer a single baby in my situation, especially given I will have gestational diabetes and don't want to run the risk of having to be on bedrest (odds are much less with a singleton than multiples).

Thanks, Jenn
30 yo cf, new onset cfrd

PedsNP2007

Hi,
IUI doesn't mean you are at a higher risk of multiples unless you use stimulating medications. I am considering IUI to get past the cervical mucus. If you use a fertility monitor (I'm using easy clear blue), you can monitor your ovulation and the times in your cycle that you are most fertile. If you still don't conceive (given you have an appropriate number of sperm that is necessary), then you move on to fertility meds. Usually a RE will let you do 3 unmedicated IUIs before moving on to clomid, etc.

I'm hoping I won't have to do fertility meds. I would prefer a single baby in my situation, especially given I will have gestational diabetes and don't want to run the risk of having to be on bedrest (odds are much less with a singleton than multiples).

Thanks, Jenn
30 yo cf, new onset cfrd

PedsNP2007

Hi,

Thanks, Jenn
30 yo cf, new onset cfrd

PedsNP2007

Hi,

Thanks, Jenn
30 yo cf, new onset cfrd

PedsNP2007

Hi,
<br />IUI doesn't mean you are at a higher risk of multiples unless you use stimulating medications. I am considering IUI to get past the cervical mucus. If you use a fertility monitor (I'm using easy clear blue), you can monitor your ovulation and the times in your cycle that you are most fertile. If you still don't conceive (given you have an appropriate number of sperm that is necessary), then you move on to fertility meds. Usually a RE will let you do 3 unmedicated IUIs before moving on to clomid, etc.
<br />
<br />I'm hoping I won't have to do fertility meds. I would prefer a single baby in my situation, especially given I will have gestational diabetes and don't want to run the risk of having to be on bedrest (odds are much less with a singleton than multiples).
<br />
<br />Thanks, Jenn
<br />30 yo cf, new onset cfrd

PedsNP2007

Forgot to mention something.
RE sperm retrieval... Even if the man with CF doesn't plan on having kids yet, it's important to do it early enough that it is safe to retrieve them. My brother with CF and his wife decided that after transplant, they would try to have kids. We were going to plan on my brother getting his sperm retrieved before transplant. However, he was very sick and the drs were unsure of how safe it would be to sedate him for the sperm aspiration. Thus, he never got that done. Once the transplant happened, it was unsafe to do that due to the immunosuppression meds. Thus, there is no way for my brother's legacy to continue (he died 3 weeks post transplant). So my advice is to store sperm early enough to avoid this complication (rare, I know!).

Jenn
PS. I love jon and kate -- I don't know how they do it! I would go out of my mind with 8 kids!

PedsNP2007

RE sperm retrieval... Even if the man with CF doesn't plan on having kids yet, it's important to do it early enough that it is safe to retrieve them. My brother with CF and his wife decided that after transplant, they would try to have kids. We were going to plan on my brother getting his sperm retrieved before transplant. However, he was very sick and the drs were unsure of how safe it would be to sedate him for the sperm aspiration. Thus, he never got that done. Once the transplant happened, it was unsafe to do that due to the immunosuppression meds. Thus, there is no way for my brother's legacy to continue (he died 3 weeks post transplant). So my advice is to store sperm early enough to avoid this complication (rare, I know!).

Jenn
PS. I love jon and kate -- I don't know how they do it! I would go out of my mind with 8 kids!

PedsNP2007

Jenn

PedsNP2007

Jenn

PedsNP2007

<br />RE sperm retrieval... Even if the man with CF doesn't plan on having kids yet, it's important to do it early enough that it is safe to retrieve them. My brother with CF and his wife decided that after transplant, they would try to have kids. We were going to plan on my brother getting his sperm retrieved before transplant. However, he was very sick and the drs were unsure of how safe it would be to sedate him for the sperm aspiration. Thus, he never got that done. Once the transplant happened, it was unsafe to do that due to the immunosuppression meds. Thus, there is no way for my brother's legacy to continue (he died 3 weeks post transplant). So my advice is to store sperm early enough to avoid this complication (rare, I know!).
<br />
<br />Jenn
<br />PS. I love jon and kate -- I don't know how they do it! I would go out of my mind with 8 kids!

julie

Gordonsgirl, for the record, John and Kate's kids are IUI babies, not IVF. <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_&_Kate_Plus_8">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_&_Kate_Plus_8</a>

julie

Gordonsgirl, for the record, John and Kate's kids are IUI babies, not IVF. <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_&_Kate_Plus_8">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_&_Kate_Plus_8</a>

julie

julie

julie

GordonsGirl

Oh no! Now what?! Thanks for the info RE sperm count with aspiration. I just feel really fertile and optimistic. Give me a couple years of trying and I'm sure I'll be ready for IVF. It's the dumbest idea to want conception to occur inside of me... I get that.

GordonsGirl

Oh no! Now what?! Thanks for the info RE sperm count with aspiration. I just feel really fertile and optimistic. Give me a couple years of trying and I'm sure I'll be ready for IVF. It's the dumbest idea to want conception to occur inside of me... I get that.

GordonsGirl

GordonsGirl

GordonsGirl