IVs at home

shea14

Does anyone do IV's at home? If so do you do them or does a nurse come and do them for you? I am asking because I am trying to push the doctors to let my son do them at home because he has been in the hospital for two weeks and then home for two weeks for about six months now and I want my son home. He is sick of the hospital and I am afraid he will start getting depressed. I think if we can do them at home it will raise his quality of life.

shea14

Does anyone do IV's at home? If so do you do them or does a nurse come and do them for you? I am asking because I am trying to push the doctors to let my son do them at home because he has been in the hospital for two weeks and then home for two weeks for about six months now and I want my son home. He is sick of the hospital and I am afraid he will start getting depressed. I think if we can do them at home it will raise his quality of life.

shea14

shea14

shea14

adamsants

We do i.v.'s at home when we can and my husband and I do them the nurse just comes out once a week to clean the picc line.

adamsants

We do i.v.'s at home when we can and my husband and I do them the nurse just comes out once a week to clean the picc line.

adamsants

adamsants

adamsants

<br />
<br />

jaimers

Super Moderator
i pretty much exclusively do my IVs at home now unless there is some major problem that leads to needing the IVs in the first place like pneumonia or something. I have a port now, but when i had a PICC i would go into Vascular Radiology as an outpatient, get my PICC and go home that day. the home health company would deliver the meds to me and a nurse would come out a few times a week to do any blood work that needed to be done, vitals, dressing change, etc.

i would HIGHLY recommend doing IVs at home if it's at all possible. I find that being at home when people aren't coming in and out of your room 50 times a day is so much more beneficial to my health and recovery!

if this does turn out to be an option i would see if whatever antibiotics your son is on are available in the eclipse (i think thats the name) balls. they look like little grenades to me or little balloons and they are SO SO SO wonderful because they are portable. for me that was huge because i could walk around the house or go out to dinner or the movies or whatever....

hope your little guy starts feeling better soon!

jaimers

Super Moderator
i pretty much exclusively do my IVs at home now unless there is some major problem that leads to needing the IVs in the first place like pneumonia or something. I have a port now, but when i had a PICC i would go into Vascular Radiology as an outpatient, get my PICC and go home that day. the home health company would deliver the meds to me and a nurse would come out a few times a week to do any blood work that needed to be done, vitals, dressing change, etc.

i would HIGHLY recommend doing IVs at home if it's at all possible. I find that being at home when people aren't coming in and out of your room 50 times a day is so much more beneficial to my health and recovery!

if this does turn out to be an option i would see if whatever antibiotics your son is on are available in the eclipse (i think thats the name) balls. they look like little grenades to me or little balloons and they are SO SO SO wonderful because they are portable. for me that was huge because i could walk around the house or go out to dinner or the movies or whatever....

jaimers

Super Moderator

jaimers

Super Moderator

jaimers

Super Moderator
<br />
<br />i would HIGHLY recommend doing IVs at home if it's at all possible. I find that being at home when people aren't coming in and out of your room 50 times a day is so much more beneficial to my health and recovery!
<br />
<br />if this does turn out to be an option i would see if whatever antibiotics your son is on are available in the eclipse (i think thats the name) balls. they look like little grenades to me or little balloons and they are SO SO SO wonderful because they are portable. for me that was huge because i could walk around the house or go out to dinner or the movies or whatever....
<br />
<br />hope your little guy starts feeling better soon!

debs2girls

We usually go to the hospital for two weeks and then home iv's for two weeks...she got a port in Jan. this is the first time we didnt go into the hospital first...still may do that if she doesnt start improving.
We have never had a home nurse out.

debs2girls

We usually go to the hospital for two weeks and then home iv's for two weeks...she got a port in Jan. this is the first time we didnt go into the hospital first...still may do that if she doesnt start improving.

debs2girls

debs2girls

debs2girls

<br />We have never had a home nurse out.