Kindergarten Next Fall

T

TonyaH

No kidding!!!! Husbands, Husbands, Husbands! It's a good thing our kids have us!!!

I'll be you will get a pretty good vibe as to how well the school will handle giving enzymes. When we lived in MI Andrew had to go down to the office twice a day for his meds, once at lunch, once for snack. They were locked in the nurse's room. But one of the two receptionists were always right there to greet Andrew and help him get his enzymes. (He would leave class 5 minutes early every day before lunch and then just meet his class in the lunchroom so he did not miss eating time.) Now in NC, the enzymes are locked in his teacher's desk and she gives them to him. His teachers have always been really good about it. In fact, there have been times (ie. when someone has a birthday and brings in cupcakes), when school will call me to see if he needs a "snack dose" or a "meal dose". School probably take his dosage more seriously than I do where snacks are concerned!

I remember kindergarten. It is so hard to know that other people will be responsible for their care. I feel for you, I really do! But, you husband is right. Everything will work out. Trust your instinct with school. I'll bet if there is a need for an IEP you will be able to feel it.

T

TonyaH

No kidding!!!! Husbands, Husbands, Husbands! It's a good thing our kids have us!!!

I'll be you will get a pretty good vibe as to how well the school will handle giving enzymes. When we lived in MI Andrew had to go down to the office twice a day for his meds, once at lunch, once for snack. They were locked in the nurse's room. But one of the two receptionists were always right there to greet Andrew and help him get his enzymes. (He would leave class 5 minutes early every day before lunch and then just meet his class in the lunchroom so he did not miss eating time.) Now in NC, the enzymes are locked in his teacher's desk and she gives them to him. His teachers have always been really good about it. In fact, there have been times (ie. when someone has a birthday and brings in cupcakes), when school will call me to see if he needs a "snack dose" or a "meal dose". School probably take his dosage more seriously than I do where snacks are concerned!

I remember kindergarten. It is so hard to know that other people will be responsible for their care. I feel for you, I really do! But, you husband is right. Everything will work out. Trust your instinct with school. I'll bet if there is a need for an IEP you will be able to feel it.

T

TonyaH

T

TonyaH

T

TonyaH

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Liza,

We do have a school nurse. There is another girl(now in college) who went through our school system who has CF. Her mom told me that originally they wanted her daughter to go to the nurse for enzymes. Her mom had the CF doc write a letter saying it was ok to have her daughter self administer the enzymes. I think she packed them in a ziploc bag with snack(back then kindergarten was half day). I will fight them on this issue. My daughter knows what she needs to do for enzymes. The tteacher will just need to give a reminder, at snack and lunch. I'm not ready for this!

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Liza,

We do have a school nurse. There is another girl(now in college) who went through our school system who has CF. Her mom told me that originally they wanted her daughter to go to the nurse for enzymes. Her mom had the CF doc write a letter saying it was ok to have her daughter self administer the enzymes. I think she packed them in a ziploc bag with snack(back then kindergarten was half day). I will fight them on this issue. My daughter knows what she needs to do for enzymes. The tteacher will just need to give a reminder, at snack and lunch. I'm not ready for this!

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Liza,

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Liza,

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Liza,

S

sdelorenzo

My daughter started Kindergarten this year. I requested a 504 plan but was denied by the district. Honestly, I would have had to take them to court to get one. Sophia's social worker and dr gave the school a five page letter that is to be followed. The school said they would be more than willing to meet all of Sophia's needs and they have. So I am not complaining at this point.

I used to teach middle school. I know once a child has a number of teachers the 504 plan is important so that everyone is aware of all the needs and is expected to follow them.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 6 and Jack, 4 both with cf

S

sdelorenzo

My daughter started Kindergarten this year. I requested a 504 plan but was denied by the district. Honestly, I would have had to take them to court to get one. Sophia's social worker and dr gave the school a five page letter that is to be followed. The school said they would be more than willing to meet all of Sophia's needs and they have. So I am not complaining at this point.

I used to teach middle school. I know once a child has a number of teachers the 504 plan is important so that everyone is aware of all the needs and is expected to follow them.

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

B

brewz2

I guess every school district is different. My daughter is in first grade, and the school made sure a 504 plan was in place at the beginning of every school year. I feel better having the 504 plan b/c I have it in writing what my concerns are. There is another girl that has CF that is a couple grades higher than my daughter, so they have special precautions that they take to make sure that the two of them are not together in the same room, or sharing art equipment or anything like that. They initially had them both on the same bus at the beginning of the year, but due to an observant nurse, we had that changed right away. I feel better having it in writing, that way we don't run into any problems.

As for taking enzymes on her own - our school doesn't allow it period. Any meds have to go through the nurse. I tried to see if the teacher could just give them to her, and it was a loud and clear no for us... Hope the info helps!

Tracey, mom to Sydney, 6 and Seth, 2 - both w/cf

B

brewz2

I guess every school district is different. My daughter is in first grade, and the school made sure a 504 plan was in place at the beginning of every school year. I feel better having the 504 plan b/c I have it in writing what my concerns are. There is another girl that has CF that is a couple grades higher than my daughter, so they have special precautions that they take to make sure that the two of them are not together in the same room, or sharing art equipment or anything like that. They initially had them both on the same bus at the beginning of the year, but due to an observant nurse, we had that changed right away. I feel better having it in writing, that way we don't run into any problems.

As for taking enzymes on her own - our school doesn't allow it period. Any meds have to go through the nurse. I tried to see if the teacher could just give them to her, and it was a loud and clear no for us... Hope the info helps!

B

brewz2

B

brewz2

B

brewz2