Kindergarten Next Fall

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Liza, if you go back and search the site for 504 or IEP or accomodation plans, I think you'll find a lot of helpful advice.

My boys both have one althought we didn't put one into place until Josh was very sick and missed six weeks of school. Mostly everyone has been accomodating on their own without the need of a contract. However- it doesn't hurt. Most of what we have inplace is useful at the jr high and high school level but I'm sure others will be able to share what they have for kindergarten. Your clinic social worker should be able to help you write one up too. Ours was very helpful

Good luck

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Liza, if you go back and search the site for 504 or IEP or accomodation plans, I think you'll find a lot of helpful advice.

My boys both have one althought we didn't put one into place until Josh was very sick and missed six weeks of school. Mostly everyone has been accomodating on their own without the need of a contract. However- it doesn't hurt. Most of what we have inplace is useful at the jr high and high school level but I'm sure others will be able to share what they have for kindergarten. Your clinic social worker should be able to help you write one up too. Ours was very helpful

Good luck

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Good luck

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Good luck

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Good luck

M

Mommafirst

Last year I saw Beth Suffian speak and she suggested that you get a 504 plan even if it seems like you won't need one. Sure the only thing you need now is to make sure that he gets his enzymes with his food, but as he gets older other issues may arrise and having the 504 in place from the start will be easier to revise later on. You should consider adding to the 504 something about absences and tutoring. In the even that Max goes into the hospital, or has to miss several weeks of school, you want to be able to have the school provide a tutor or work for him to keep up. You'll need to check school policy regarding how many absences might keep him from being graduated into the next grade, and put in the 504 that as long as he completes the work required of him that they can't impose the absence policy. I know it may sound silly right now with Max doing so well -- but if you don't think about it until he has these kinds of issues it may be too late the get the school to understand.

M

Mommafirst

Last year I saw Beth Suffian speak and she suggested that you get a 504 plan even if it seems like you won't need one. Sure the only thing you need now is to make sure that he gets his enzymes with his food, but as he gets older other issues may arrise and having the 504 in place from the start will be easier to revise later on. You should consider adding to the 504 something about absences and tutoring. In the even that Max goes into the hospital, or has to miss several weeks of school, you want to be able to have the school provide a tutor or work for him to keep up. You'll need to check school policy regarding how many absences might keep him from being graduated into the next grade, and put in the 504 that as long as he completes the work required of him that they can't impose the absence policy. I know it may sound silly right now with Max doing so well -- but if you don't think about it until he has these kinds of issues it may be too late the get the school to understand.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

mom4holly

Holly had a 504 plan but at one point of time also had an IEP. I do know that when it came time to need the 504 we had to get rid of the IEP, not sure what one has to do with the other as the IEP was for speech & the 504 was for CF care but anyways...the 504 came about souly for the purpose that there was another kindergartner at her school with CF that also happened to have cepacia...unbeknowns to me at first so the dr was specific about restroom usage & pe & other things as well as having the PICC while at school along with her other meds needed at school. She was just cleared to go back to school so once the paperwork is done & she is back in kindergarten we will see how it works.

mom4holly

Holly had a 504 plan but at one point of time also had an IEP. I do know that when it came time to need the 504 we had to get rid of the IEP, not sure what one has to do with the other as the IEP was for speech & the 504 was for CF care but anyways...the 504 came about souly for the purpose that there was another kindergartner at her school with CF that also happened to have cepacia...unbeknowns to me at first so the dr was specific about restroom usage & pe & other things as well as having the PICC while at school along with her other meds needed at school. She was just cleared to go back to school so once the paperwork is done & she is back in kindergarten we will see how it works.

mom4holly

mom4holly

mom4holly

Jane

Digital opinion leader
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>mom4holly</b></i>

I do know that when it came time to need the 504 we had to get rid of the IEP, not sure what one has to do with the other as the IEP was for speech & the 504 was for CF care but anyways....</end quote></div>

An IEP is for learning issues relating to a diagnosis of a learning disability.

for example- the child needs longer time when taking a test.

A 504 plan is for accomodations relating to a medical conditon or disability that may keep a child from learning.

for example- the child must have access to a private bathroom.

A 504 plan is a legal document. There are a lot of crossover areas.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

I do know that when it came time to need the 504 we had to get rid of the IEP, not sure what one has to do with the other as the IEP was for speech & the 504 was for CF care but anyways....</end quote></div>

A 504 plan is for accomodations relating to a medical conditon or disability that may keep a child from learning.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader

I do know that when it came time to need the 504 we had to get rid of the IEP, not sure what one has to do with the other as the IEP was for speech & the 504 was for CF care but anyways....</end quote>

Jane

Digital opinion leader

I do know that when it came time to need the 504 we had to get rid of the IEP, not sure what one has to do with the other as the IEP was for speech & the 504 was for CF care but anyways....</end quote>