Kindergarten Next Fall

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Liza,

Not sure how lunch works in kindergarten, hopefully they just eat in the same room, not the cafeteria. In first grade, lunch is short. My son usually brings lunch, by the time he sits down, stops talking to his friends, he feels VERY rushed to finish. He often says he doesn't have enough time to eat. ARG. So if my daughter has to go to the nurse's office first, which is usually where the kids that are sick go anyway, get her enzymes and then go to the caf, she'll never have time to eat.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Liza,

Not sure how lunch works in kindergarten, hopefully they just eat in the same room, not the cafeteria. In first grade, lunch is short. My son usually brings lunch, by the time he sits down, stops talking to his friends, he feels VERY rushed to finish. He often says he doesn't have enough time to eat. ARG. So if my daughter has to go to the nurse's office first, which is usually where the kids that are sick go anyway, get her enzymes and then go to the caf, she'll never have time to eat.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Liza,

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Liza,

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Liza,

T

TonyaH

My son used to just leave class a couple of minutes early to get his enzymes from the office. You will be surprised how easy this is for the kids. I think we make way more of a deal out of it than they do. If the tables were turned and my child was not the one requiring meds, I would want all meds to be administered by staff.

I know in years to come there will be bigger issues like attendance that I'll have to handle for Andrew, but wether he takes his enzymes in the office or the classroom has never made any difference to Andrew. And, the more staff that are invovled in your child's care, the more awareness we raise about CF. It's kind of a "choose your battles" kind of thing.

T

TonyaH

My son used to just leave class a couple of minutes early to get his enzymes from the office. You will be surprised how easy this is for the kids. I think we make way more of a deal out of it than they do. If the tables were turned and my child was not the one requiring meds, I would want all meds to be administered by staff.

I know in years to come there will be bigger issues like attendance that I'll have to handle for Andrew, but wether he takes his enzymes in the office or the classroom has never made any difference to Andrew. And, the more staff that are invovled in your child's care, the more awareness we raise about CF. It's kind of a "choose your battles" kind of thing.

T

TonyaH

T

TonyaH

T

TonyaH

<br />
<br />I know in years to come there will be bigger issues like attendance that I'll have to handle for Andrew, but wether he takes his enzymes in the office or the classroom has never made any difference to Andrew. And, the more staff that are invovled in your child's care, the more awareness we raise about CF. It's kind of a "choose your battles" kind of thing.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Where we live, they have an early childhood center -- all the kindergarteners in the district go to one building. They announced this year they were switching to all day kindergarten, so they either need to add onto the existing facility or put some of the kids into one or two of the surrounding elementary schools. There are about 500 kindergarteners in the district.

My husband is of the opinion that we find out as much as possible prior to registering DS for school -- speak to the principal, etc. Find out what the procedure will be -- maybe there is leeway regarding how the enzymes are given to him. The handbook indicates that someone will be given the responsibility of adminstering said medication -- maybe it'll even be his own teacher -- we won't know until we ask... And when it's all said and done, if enzymes become an issue, then we'll deal with it at that time.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Where we live, they have an early childhood center -- all the kindergarteners in the district go to one building. They announced this year they were switching to all day kindergarten, so they either need to add onto the existing facility or put some of the kids into one or two of the surrounding elementary schools. There are about 500 kindergarteners in the district.

My husband is of the opinion that we find out as much as possible prior to registering DS for school -- speak to the principal, etc. Find out what the procedure will be -- maybe there is leeway regarding how the enzymes are given to him. The handbook indicates that someone will be given the responsibility of adminstering said medication -- maybe it'll even be his own teacher -- we won't know until we ask... And when it's all said and done, if enzymes become an issue, then we'll deal with it at that time.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />My husband is of the opinion that we find out as much as possible prior to registering DS for school -- speak to the principal, etc. Find out what the procedure will be -- maybe there is leeway regarding how the enzymes are given to him. The handbook indicates that someone will be given the responsibility of adminstering said medication -- maybe it'll even be his own teacher -- we won't know until we ask... And when it's all said and done, if enzymes become an issue, then we'll deal with it at that time.

Pumpkinnut3

My daughter didn't have 504, but before the year started I requested a meeting with her teacher and the school nurse. She was not allowed to give herself enzymes and she had to walk (back then the kindergarten was in a separate building from the main school) with one of her teachers to get her enzymes before snack and lunch. At the time I thought it was a huge hassle because we knew she was capable of taking the enzymes herself, but as the year went on I actually liked that she had built a relationship with the nurse and felt comfortable with her. Most of the time all her treatments were done at home, but if she was needing extra treatments she would just sit right in the nurses office.

Pumpkinnut3

My daughter didn't have 504, but before the year started I requested a meeting with her teacher and the school nurse. She was not allowed to give herself enzymes and she had to walk (back then the kindergarten was in a separate building from the main school) with one of her teachers to get her enzymes before snack and lunch. At the time I thought it was a huge hassle because we knew she was capable of taking the enzymes herself, but as the year went on I actually liked that she had built a relationship with the nurse and felt comfortable with her. Most of the time all her treatments were done at home, but if she was needing extra treatments she would just sit right in the nurses office.

Pumpkinnut3

Pumpkinnut3

Pumpkinnut3