laundry question

mistylavon

I'm just wondering if you'd mind sharing how you do laundry and are you real anal about killing germs? I didn't know this but my parents shared this w/ me recently when they we're visiting. I've just always washed all of my clothes together in cold water, except for whites and towels I wash in hot water and clorox them. But I guess you should wash all underwear seperately from all other laundry in hot water w/ clorox b/c each pair of underwear carries something like .1 to 10 grams of fecal matter and spreads to all of your other laundry and leaves a film of it in your washer, which has e coli and other bacteria. This is all really gross, you know? I've been reading that vinegar kills most all bacteria, germs and viruses and you can use it in your laundry instead of clorox. Any thoughts or ideas on this?

mistylavon

I'm just wondering if you'd mind sharing how you do laundry and are you real anal about killing germs? I didn't know this but my parents shared this w/ me recently when they we're visiting. I've just always washed all of my clothes together in cold water, except for whites and towels I wash in hot water and clorox them. But I guess you should wash all underwear seperately from all other laundry in hot water w/ clorox b/c each pair of underwear carries something like .1 to 10 grams of fecal matter and spreads to all of your other laundry and leaves a film of it in your washer, which has e coli and other bacteria. This is all really gross, you know? I've been reading that vinegar kills most all bacteria, germs and viruses and you can use it in your laundry instead of clorox. Any thoughts or ideas on this?

mistylavon

mistylavon

mistylavon

<br />

ehtansky21

I use trader joes laundry detergent along with about 1/2 cup baking soda. I do put about 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar in the rinse cycle.
I buy the baking soda and vinegar in bulk at Sam's Club.

ehtansky21

I use trader joes laundry detergent along with about 1/2 cup baking soda. I do put about 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar in the rinse cycle.

ehtansky21

ehtansky21

ehtansky21

<br />I buy the baking soda and vinegar in bulk at Sam's Club.

Alyssa

I have never thought about this! So obviously I never did anything about my habits... I don't think I will go running scared to my laundry room to make any drastic changes....

I usually wash in warm (almost everything) and hot for really dirty/greasy jeans or work rags and sheets - Now... the only thing I had heard/followed was the allergists suggestion to wash sheets every week in hot and the comforter every other week in hot - this kills the dust mites.

Alyssa

I have never thought about this! So obviously I never did anything about my habits... I don't think I will go running scared to my laundry room to make any drastic changes....

I usually wash in warm (almost everything) and hot for really dirty/greasy jeans or work rags and sheets - Now... the only thing I had heard/followed was the allergists suggestion to wash sheets every week in hot and the comforter every other week in hot - this kills the dust mites.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

<br />
<br />I usually wash in warm (almost everything) and hot for really dirty/greasy jeans or work rags and sheets - Now... the only thing I had heard/followed was the allergists suggestion to wash sheets every week in hot and the comforter every other week in hot - this kills the dust mites.

MicheleGazelle

We use a mixture of diet tonic water and peroxide on everything. We soak stuff in the sink and dump in ice. Sometimes we pour boiling hot water over the cotton stuff because if the cold doesn't kill it, the heat probably will. We routinely throw out anything that we can no longer get adequately clean.

MicheleGazelle

We use a mixture of diet tonic water and peroxide on everything. We soak stuff in the sink and dump in ice. Sometimes we pour boiling hot water over the cotton stuff because if the cold doesn't kill it, the heat probably will. We routinely throw out anything that we can no longer get adequately clean.

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle