Manual CPT vs Vest?

Jane

Digital opinion leader
First let me say thank you for giving your time to help our "family" here on cf.com.

My two teenage boys have a physical therapist who provides Chest PT at our home daily (5x week). They also have the hill-rom vest for off days or when they feel they need PT more than once a day.

The boys both feel that they get better clearance with the therapist than with the vest. When they have to use the vest, I want them to have optimal clearance. Can you describe the best method for using the vest (settings, time, proceedure etc)?

Thanks again for your time.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
First let me say thank you for giving your time to help our "family" here on cf.com.

My two teenage boys have a physical therapist who provides Chest PT at our home daily (5x week). They also have the hill-rom vest for off days or when they feel they need PT more than once a day.

The boys both feel that they get better clearance with the therapist than with the vest. When they have to use the vest, I want them to have optimal clearance. Can you describe the best method for using the vest (settings, time, proceedure etc)?

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader
<br />
<br />My two teenage boys have a physical therapist who provides Chest PT at our home daily (5x week). They also have the hill-rom vest for off days or when they feel they need PT more than once a day.
<br />
<br />The boys both feel that they get better clearance with the therapist than with the vest. When they have to use the vest, I want them to have optimal clearance. Can you describe the best method for using the vest (settings, time, proceedure etc)?
<br />
<br />Thanks again for your time.

Ocean

When I use the vest, I do it after an albuterol neb. While doing it, I fluctuate between two settings most often - 6 Hz and 13 Hz, both at maximum pressure. I focus on my breathing while doing this - exhaling all the way and holding it, so that my lungs are empty, seems to be when the vest is most effective. Paying attention to breathing seems to be the key IMO - just sitting there and vibrating doesn't help me at all.

I do find that using multiple sources of clearance works best. In some cases it feels like my lungs 'get used to' one technique, and then a new technique can be more effective. Currently I use a flutter and a vest, with autogenic added when I feel like I am not getting results.

Ocean

When I use the vest, I do it after an albuterol neb. While doing it, I fluctuate between two settings most often - 6 Hz and 13 Hz, both at maximum pressure. I focus on my breathing while doing this - exhaling all the way and holding it, so that my lungs are empty, seems to be when the vest is most effective. Paying attention to breathing seems to be the key IMO - just sitting there and vibrating doesn't help me at all.

I do find that using multiple sources of clearance works best. In some cases it feels like my lungs 'get used to' one technique, and then a new technique can be more effective. Currently I use a flutter and a vest, with autogenic added when I feel like I am not getting results.

Ocean

Ocean

Ocean

<br />
<br />I do find that using multiple sources of clearance works best. In some cases it feels like my lungs 'get used to' one technique, and then a new technique can be more effective. Currently I use a flutter and a vest, with autogenic added when I feel like I am not getting results.

saveferris2009

Jane you might want to check out my blog to understand optimal frequencies - the information I received it from the creator of the Vest who has done a great deal of analysis on optimal therapies.

The more CF centers I visit the more I realize that so many physicians haven't heard of the research Dr. Warwick has conducted on optimal settings.

There truly is a bell curve in CF care, sadly...

saveferris2009

Jane you might want to check out my blog to understand optimal frequencies - the information I received it from the creator of the Vest who has done a great deal of analysis on optimal therapies.

The more CF centers I visit the more I realize that so many physicians haven't heard of the research Dr. Warwick has conducted on optimal settings.

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

<br />
<br />The more CF centers I visit the more I realize that so many physicians haven't heard of the research Dr. Warwick has conducted on optimal settings.
<br />
<br />There truly is a bell curve in CF care, sadly...

Kimber1

I Live in Australia and we are not given a vest or the option to purchase one, which upset me at first until I did the research and discovered that manual gets much better results. My daughter is only 1 but on diagnoses we are taught all the necessary techniques. Since she has become more active bouncing her on an exercise ball and jumping with her on the trampoline has become a huge part of our daily routine. I love all of this because it helps clear her airways and also keeps the whole family active.

Kimber1

I Live in Australia and we are not given a vest or the option to purchase one, which upset me at first until I did the research and discovered that manual gets much better results. My daughter is only 1 but on diagnoses we are taught all the necessary techniques. Since she has become more active bouncing her on an exercise ball and jumping with her on the trampoline has become a huge part of our daily routine. I love all of this because it helps clear her airways and also keeps the whole family active.

Kimber1

Kimber1

Kimber1