Megace aka Megestrol Acetate

BSJCA

I am a 5'3" 108 pound F with LF of 33% and I need to gain about 5-10 pounds. My doctor prescribed Megace as an appetite enhancer saying the other choice is anabolic steriods (Yikes!). So I picked up the script and am reading the drug description leaflet that Walgreens hands out about the drug and I am completely spooked. My husband, who is much less less excitable than I am, also agrees with me.
It looks to me like it is not worth it for the little weight I should gain. Anybody know about this drug.

BSJCA

I am a 5'3" 108 pound F with LF of 33% and I need to gain about 5-10 pounds. My doctor prescribed Megace as an appetite enhancer saying the other choice is anabolic steriods (Yikes!). So I picked up the script and am reading the drug description leaflet that Walgreens hands out about the drug and I am completely spooked. My husband, who is much less less excitable than I am, also agrees with me.
It looks to me like it is not worth it for the little weight I should gain. Anybody know about this drug.

BSJCA

BSJCA

BSJCA

<br />It looks to me like it is not worth it for the little weight I should gain. Anybody know about this drug.

B

bethylove

I'm currently on it now. I tried for MONTHS and months trying to gain weight, and nothing was helping. I tried other appetite stimulants such as periactin and marinol. Periactin worked well for about a week then it seemed to not work anymore. Marinol works well to eat a lot at one sitting, but it has so many side effects I could only take it once a day, and then the rest of the day I still wouldn't eat. So the last try was Megace. Honestly, this has saved me from getting a Gtube. Taking 10 mL of megace (liquid form) for about a week I was able to put on 10 lbs. In a week mind you.

I'm still on Megace, and although I don't necessarily 'feel hungry' from it, I feel like I'm much more able to stomach food, and it tastes better, and the amount that I'm able to eat is MUCH MUCH larger, versus when I don't take it. I believe it kind of works in a way that stops your normal 'I'm full' trigger response to your brain, so you can eat, but not feel full, therefore eating more.

Also, I haven't noticed any side effects, although I think it did mess up my monthly cycle -- when I started taking it I skipped a period, but then it regulated itself again. Besides that I haven't noticed anything.

I highly recommend it. For me it was the only thing that really worked.

Good Luck!

B

bethylove

I'm currently on it now. I tried for MONTHS and months trying to gain weight, and nothing was helping. I tried other appetite stimulants such as periactin and marinol. Periactin worked well for about a week then it seemed to not work anymore. Marinol works well to eat a lot at one sitting, but it has so many side effects I could only take it once a day, and then the rest of the day I still wouldn't eat. So the last try was Megace. Honestly, this has saved me from getting a Gtube. Taking 10 mL of megace (liquid form) for about a week I was able to put on 10 lbs. In a week mind you.

I'm still on Megace, and although I don't necessarily 'feel hungry' from it, I feel like I'm much more able to stomach food, and it tastes better, and the amount that I'm able to eat is MUCH MUCH larger, versus when I don't take it. I believe it kind of works in a way that stops your normal 'I'm full' trigger response to your brain, so you can eat, but not feel full, therefore eating more.

Also, I haven't noticed any side effects, although I think it did mess up my monthly cycle -- when I started taking it I skipped a period, but then it regulated itself again. Besides that I haven't noticed anything.

Good Luck!

B

bethylove

Good Luck!

B

bethylove

Good Luck!

B

bethylove

<br />
<br />I'm still on Megace, and although I don't necessarily 'feel hungry' from it, I feel like I'm much more able to stomach food, and it tastes better, and the amount that I'm able to eat is MUCH MUCH larger, versus when I don't take it. I believe it kind of works in a way that stops your normal 'I'm full' trigger response to your brain, so you can eat, but not feel full, therefore eating more.
<br />
<br />Also, I haven't noticed any side effects, although I think it did mess up my monthly cycle -- when I started taking it I skipped a period, but then it regulated itself again. Besides that I haven't noticed anything.
<br />
<br />I highly recommend it. For me it was the only thing that really worked.
<br />
<br />Good Luck!

Tammy15

My daughter had a bad allergic reaction to Megace. We ended up in the ER she got a shot, next day hives still there breathing awful so she ended up in ths hospital.

Tammy15

My daughter had a bad allergic reaction to Megace. We ended up in the ER she got a shot, next day hives still there breathing awful so she ended up in ths hospital.

Tammy15

Tammy15

Tammy15

Liza

Hi, My daughter Anna has taken Megace(Megestrol) for quite a while now (off and on). Anna started taking it back in 2002 after her doctor's were really trying to get her to get a g-tube. She was extremely opposed to a g-tube. It worked great for Anna. One of the side effects they mention is the potential for some hair loss as well as moonface (puffy face). Anna had a little of both. Both were temporary. One of the concerns the doctor's had was that in some patients would lose their weight once they quit taking the Megace. Anna didn't experience that. For Anna, she/we noticed a difference in the amount she could eat extremely quick. In about two days. At 14, she was eating a full breakfast (eggs, bacon, grits), taking a homemade lunch of leftovers from the night before for lunch, on the way home from school she would eat either KFC (chicken strips w/double mashed potatoes), Dairy Queen Chicken finger basket, or on the days we just stopped and got a Wendy's Frostee she'd eat two glazed chicken lean cuisines. Then eat supper at 7pm. YES, all that food in one day! We alternated KFC, DQ and Wendy's.

After about a month she lowered her dose gradually until she was off the Megace. When that was done she started losing the puffy face. She didn't need to use Megace again for about a year and a half. This time we started on a lower dose and worked up a little at a time then alternated days on the higher dose. This worked for Anna. It enhanced her appetite a little slower and she never got the puffy face again.

My unproffessional theory was the need to get her stomach accustomed to eating larger amounts of food slowly in the hopes of getting her weight more distributed throughout her body. Since the low dose steroid was spaced out it somehow didn't give her that puffy face.

She took it for a time while waiting for transplant when she just wasn't eating enough to keep her weight on.

You really just have to decide if the potential for some hair loss is something you can deal with. That was the only thing really, for Anna. It was not like losing in clumps it was gradual and not really noticeable because we all lose alot of hair anyway. We are hispanic and it seems that my whole family drops hair like crazy.

Good luck in the weight gaining!

Liza

Hi, My daughter Anna has taken Megace(Megestrol) for quite a while now (off and on). Anna started taking it back in 2002 after her doctor's were really trying to get her to get a g-tube. She was extremely opposed to a g-tube. It worked great for Anna. One of the side effects they mention is the potential for some hair loss as well as moonface (puffy face). Anna had a little of both. Both were temporary. One of the concerns the doctor's had was that in some patients would lose their weight once they quit taking the Megace. Anna didn't experience that. For Anna, she/we noticed a difference in the amount she could eat extremely quick. In about two days. At 14, she was eating a full breakfast (eggs, bacon, grits), taking a homemade lunch of leftovers from the night before for lunch, on the way home from school she would eat either KFC (chicken strips w/double mashed potatoes), Dairy Queen Chicken finger basket, or on the days we just stopped and got a Wendy's Frostee she'd eat two glazed chicken lean cuisines. Then eat supper at 7pm. YES, all that food in one day! We alternated KFC, DQ and Wendy's.

After about a month she lowered her dose gradually until she was off the Megace. When that was done she started losing the puffy face. She didn't need to use Megace again for about a year and a half. This time we started on a lower dose and worked up a little at a time then alternated days on the higher dose. This worked for Anna. It enhanced her appetite a little slower and she never got the puffy face again.

My unproffessional theory was the need to get her stomach accustomed to eating larger amounts of food slowly in the hopes of getting her weight more distributed throughout her body. Since the low dose steroid was spaced out it somehow didn't give her that puffy face.

She took it for a time while waiting for transplant when she just wasn't eating enough to keep her weight on.

You really just have to decide if the potential for some hair loss is something you can deal with. That was the only thing really, for Anna. It was not like losing in clumps it was gradual and not really noticeable because we all lose alot of hair anyway. We are hispanic and it seems that my whole family drops hair like crazy.

Liza

Liza

Liza

<br />
<br />After about a month she lowered her dose gradually until she was off the Megace. When that was done she started losing the puffy face. She didn't need to use Megace again for about a year and a half. This time we started on a lower dose and worked up a little at a time then alternated days on the higher dose. This worked for Anna. It enhanced her appetite a little slower and she never got the puffy face again.
<br />
<br />My unproffessional theory was the need to get her stomach accustomed to eating larger amounts of food slowly in the hopes of getting her weight more distributed throughout her body. Since the low dose steroid was spaced out it somehow didn't give her that puffy face.
<br />
<br />She took it for a time while waiting for transplant when she just wasn't eating enough to keep her weight on.
<br />
<br />You really just have to decide if the potential for some hair loss is something you can deal with. That was the only thing really, for Anna. It was not like losing in clumps it was gradual and not really noticeable because we all lose alot of hair anyway. We are hispanic and it seems that my whole family drops hair like crazy.
<br />
<br />Good luck in the weight gaining!