Megace aka Megestrol Acetate

theLostMiler

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>jrotier</b></i>

... it is that I have no appetite.

... What worried my even more was that my clinic didn't seem to know about this. I stopped it on my own. .

</end quote></div>

I am worried that the g-tube will be ineffective for me b/c my problem was appetite, b/c the myco really affects appetite so after a while off of megace I would just slowly lose appetite over a period of a couple months. Although this last time after exercising while on the megace, my appetite slowed down, but not to anything like I 'normally' get (along w/ the maintaining of the weight better than ever).

I have taken the correct dosage of megace probably around 4 or 5 times. When I was on it for about 2 months, I had a light period for about 4 weeks actually. I looked around on the internent and found out that it is a hormonol steriod or whatever, I am not entirely sure I found solid proof it could make you miss periods, I might have just come to that conclusion.

My doctors also seemed unaware of that effect, then that was when I was told by my ID doctor that most people who use megace were older so periods werent an issue as much.

And to clarify, the reason I was told it isnt best for long term is because I think it thins the bones... I personally dont love the messed up periods so that is why I would go off of it after a month or so when I used it, so I could re-regulate myself.

...but a lot of CF is weighing pros and cons of medications and most of the time if you are underweight you are malnurished and therefore higher risk of osteoporosis along w/ other risks anyways... so its probably more of a personal thing... I take calcium and vitamin D to hopefully counteract any malnurishment or anything from megace.

theLostMiler

... What worried my even more was that my clinic didn't seem to know about this. I stopped it on my own. .

</end quote></div>

I am worried that the g-tube will be ineffective for me b/c my problem was appetite, b/c the myco really affects appetite so after a while off of megace I would just slowly lose appetite over a period of a couple months. Although this last time after exercising while on the megace, my appetite slowed down, but not to anything like I 'normally' get (along w/ the maintaining of the weight better than ever).

I have taken the correct dosage of megace probably around 4 or 5 times. When I was on it for about 2 months, I had a light period for about 4 weeks actually. I looked around on the internent and found out that it is a hormonol steriod or whatever, I am not entirely sure I found solid proof it could make you miss periods, I might have just come to that conclusion.

My doctors also seemed unaware of that effect, then that was when I was told by my ID doctor that most people who use megace were older so periods werent an issue as much.

And to clarify, the reason I was told it isnt best for long term is because I think it thins the bones... I personally dont love the messed up periods so that is why I would go off of it after a month or so when I used it, so I could re-regulate myself.

...but a lot of CF is weighing pros and cons of medications and most of the time if you are underweight you are malnurished and therefore higher risk of osteoporosis along w/ other risks anyways... so its probably more of a personal thing... I take calcium and vitamin D to hopefully counteract any malnurishment or anything from megace.

theLostMiler

</end quote></div>

theLostMiler

</end quote>

theLostMiler

<br />
<br />... it is that I have no appetite.
<br />
<br />... What worried my even more was that my clinic didn't seem to know about this. I stopped it on my own. .
<br />
<br /></end quote>
<br />
<br />I am worried that the g-tube will be ineffective for me b/c my problem was appetite, b/c the myco really affects appetite so after a while off of megace I would just slowly lose appetite over a period of a couple months. Although this last time after exercising while on the megace, my appetite slowed down, but not to anything like I 'normally' get (along w/ the maintaining of the weight better than ever).
<br />
<br />I have taken the correct dosage of megace probably around 4 or 5 times. When I was on it for about 2 months, I had a light period for about 4 weeks actually. I looked around on the internent and found out that it is a hormonol steriod or whatever, I am not entirely sure I found solid proof it could make you miss periods, I might have just come to that conclusion.
<br />
<br />My doctors also seemed unaware of that effect, then that was when I was told by my ID doctor that most people who use megace were older so periods werent an issue as much.
<br />
<br />And to clarify, the reason I was told it isnt best for long term is because I think it thins the bones... I personally dont love the messed up periods so that is why I would go off of it after a month or so when I used it, so I could re-regulate myself.
<br />
<br />...but a lot of CF is weighing pros and cons of medications and most of the time if you are underweight you are malnurished and therefore higher risk of osteoporosis along w/ other risks anyways... so its probably more of a personal thing... I take calcium and vitamin D to hopefully counteract any malnurishment or anything from megace.

jendonl

My daughter does not use Megace but she does take Cyproheptadine. It is an anti-histimine with an appetite stimulant as a side effect. It has worked wonders for her though I don't think it works for everyone. If Megace scares you, you could ask your doctor about Cyproheptadine.

jendonl

My daughter does not use Megace but she does take Cyproheptadine. It is an anti-histimine with an appetite stimulant as a side effect. It has worked wonders for her though I don't think it works for everyone. If Megace scares you, you could ask your doctor about Cyproheptadine.

jendonl

jendonl

jendonl

nu65

I started Megace liquid back in Nov/Dec to try to gain weight since I'm waiting for transplant. I've gone from 98 to 110 pounds and still climbing! It's been amazing. However, it does mess with your period, you still get the damn cramps! Also, you will need to buy bigger clothes, haha!

nu65

I started Megace liquid back in Nov/Dec to try to gain weight since I'm waiting for transplant. I've gone from 98 to 110 pounds and still climbing! It's been amazing. However, it does mess with your period, you still get the damn cramps! Also, you will need to buy bigger clothes, haha!

nu65

nu65

nu65

BSJCA

I just got admitted (boohoo) and am being desensitized to Bactrim while at the same time starting on Megace. I've been successfully desensed to Bactrim but I don't remember how mildly "rashy" or itchy I got in the past. So, now I have 2 mild red patches, no itching and I can't help wondering if the culprit could be the Megace. I know better than to add a new drug while I'm being desensed - not sure why I agreed to that. I don't even like to start 2 new medications at the same time, because then I'm just not sure which is causing me problems if I get side effects.

I don't know if it's the power of suggestion or what, but I'm hungry! Could it be working so quickly? I felt hungry a few hours after the first dose, ate a big lunch, much bigger than I could normally eat and I wasn't even stuffed. Second dose, good size dinner (of hospital food, mind you) plus an Ensure and I was merely "full". If this continues I'll be happy unless, of course, the rash is from the Megace.

BSJCA

I just got admitted (boohoo) and am being desensitized to Bactrim while at the same time starting on Megace. I've been successfully desensed to Bactrim but I don't remember how mildly "rashy" or itchy I got in the past. So, now I have 2 mild red patches, no itching and I can't help wondering if the culprit could be the Megace. I know better than to add a new drug while I'm being desensed - not sure why I agreed to that. I don't even like to start 2 new medications at the same time, because then I'm just not sure which is causing me problems if I get side effects.

I don't know if it's the power of suggestion or what, but I'm hungry! Could it be working so quickly? I felt hungry a few hours after the first dose, ate a big lunch, much bigger than I could normally eat and I wasn't even stuffed. Second dose, good size dinner (of hospital food, mind you) plus an Ensure and I was merely "full". If this continues I'll be happy unless, of course, the rash is from the Megace.

BSJCA

BSJCA

BSJCA

<br />
<br />I don't know if it's the power of suggestion or what, but I'm hungry! Could it be working so quickly? I felt hungry a few hours after the first dose, ate a big lunch, much bigger than I could normally eat and I wasn't even stuffed. Second dose, good size dinner (of hospital food, mind you) plus an Ensure and I was merely "full". If this continues I'll be happy unless, of course, the rash is from the Megace.