Men with CF

Havoc

Yes, as Bill said, all of your children will be carriers. There is some evidence that carriers can exhibit some of the symptoms of CF, particularly digestive and sinus issues. It also may put them in a sticky situation if they decide to have children of their own. Finally, although it's not as risky as a female with CF reproducing, you have to consider what effect having children will have on his health. Kids bring home germs from school, they require a lot of attention and energy etc. Sure, it's possible and many choose to go down that road. However, sometimes the biological desire to reproduce masks risk factors and there are those on this forum who have unfortunately paid with their lives.

In the end, it's your choice, I would just prefer it to be a very informed one.

C

cfgf28

We have 2 kids in the household already, they are my biological kids, not his... so the germ thing can't be avoided anyways, and so far I get sick more than he ever does....

But anyways my question really wasn't about the risks... It was more about me wanting to know the probability of having kids, and if anyone has had it happen naturally.....

C

cfgf28

We have 2 kids in the household already, they are my biological kids, not his... so the germ thing can't be avoided anyways, and so far I get sick more than he ever does....

But anyways my question really wasn't about the risks... It was more about me wanting to know the probability of having kids, and if anyone has had it happen naturally.....

C

cfgf28

augiee

Technically I believe Cf males have a 96% chance of being infirtal. So you've got around a 1 in 20 chance.

augiee

Technically I believe Cf males have a 96% chance of being infirtal. So you've got around a 1 in 20 chance.

augiee

B

BreathinSteven

I believe that the infertility problem with CF males is usually due to a vas deferens that is not connected... I believe that, even though it is not connected, there is a procedure where sperm can be collected allowing IVF or some other means of fertilizing the egg, which would allow the CF male with the usual problem of shootin' blanks, to have his own child...

You're already clear on the recessive genetic situation -- that you being free and clear (not CF and not a carrier) would NOT have a CF child, but the child would, by default, be a carrier...

And yes, kids are germy and would likely infect your significant other -- but so might his nieces and nephews or other little rug-rats to whom he's exposed... Another issue can be the question of how long a CF father might be around for his kids -- that's a question that always gave me pause -- but I'm 51 now (double lung transplant 11 years ago...) so a little one I might have been considering would likely be in or finished with college now... Also -- with some of the rather exciting stuff in the pipeline, maybe that won't be an issue for long...

As Havoc mentioned -- it's best to make a fully informed decision... Love, Steve

B

BreathinSteven

I believe that the infertility problem with CF males is usually due to a vas deferens that is not connected... I believe that, even though it is not connected, there is a procedure where sperm can be collected allowing IVF or some other means of fertilizing the egg, which would allow the CF male with the usual problem of shootin' blanks, to have his own child...

You're already clear on the recessive genetic situation -- that you being free and clear (not CF and not a carrier) would NOT have a CF child, but the child would, by default, be a carrier...

And yes, kids are germy and would likely infect your significant other -- but so might his nieces and nephews or other little rug-rats to whom he's exposed... Another issue can be the question of how long a CF father might be around for his kids -- that's a question that always gave me pause -- but I'm 51 now (double lung transplant 11 years ago...) so a little one I might have been considering would likely be in or finished with college now... Also -- with some of the rather exciting stuff in the pipeline, maybe that won't be an issue for long...

As Havoc mentioned -- it's best to make a fully informed decision... Love, Steve

B

BreathinSteven

B

BreathinSteven

B

BreathinSteven

B

BreathinSteven

manyx

So you already have 2 children, but you want more?<br>Don't you know the world will be overpopulated soon and the natural resources will run out? Can't you stop being ignorant and selfish for a second and start thinking that you aren't doing anyone any good by making babies like a factory, especially potentially defective ones? <br>I have CF because when I was born there was no way for my parents to know beforehand if their children will have CF or not, and they probably didn't even know they were carriers , but I would have hated them if I thought they knew but still had children.<br><br>You're potentially condemning them to a life of having children with a horrible genetic disorder-- think about that. If they ever want to have children, it will NEVER be a simple, natural, beautiful process for them. They will always have to worry, or go through lengthy genetic testing, or be unable to have children with their chosen partner. If given the choice, I don't think anyone would choose that life. You have to think about what these potential people would want-- not your own selfish desire to have MORE children. <br><br>

manyx

So you already have 2 children, but you want more?<br>Don't you know the world will be overpopulated soon and the natural resources will run out? Can't you stop being ignorant and selfish for a second and start thinking that you aren't doing anyone any good by making babies like a factory, especially potentially defective ones? <br>I have CF because when I was born there was no way for my parents to know beforehand if their children will have CF or not, and they probably didn't even know they were carriers , but I would have hated them if I thought they knew but still had children.<br><br>You're potentially condemning them to a life of having children with a horrible genetic disorder-- think about that. If they ever want to have children, it will NEVER be a simple, natural, beautiful process for them. They will always have to worry, or go through lengthy genetic testing, or be unable to have children with their chosen partner. If given the choice, I don't think anyone would choose that life. You have to think about what these potential people would want-- not your own selfish desire to have MORE children. <br><br>

manyx

mstehlin

The child they conceive could grow up to cure CF. Anyway, what are people for? Is a damaged life not worth living? My wife has CF and gave birth to 2 beautiful children, who are carriers. It is worth it.

mstehlin

The child they conceive could grow up to cure CF. Anyway, what are people for? Is a damaged life not worth living? My wife has CF and gave birth to 2 beautiful children, who are carriers. It is worth it.

mstehlin

G

gunelle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>manyx</b></i>

So you already have 2 children, but you want more?
Don't you know the world will be overpopulated soon and the natural resources will run out? Can't you stop being ignorant and selfish for a second and start thinking that you aren't doing anyone any good by making babies like a factory, especially potentially defective ones?
.</end quote>

So you think that children of CF'ers are "defective"? Isn't that a bit harsh? If I am going to have children, they will be carriers, but I won't see them as defective, and I will tell them to take care all the neccessary precautions if they want to have children themselves. My parents didn't know they were carriers, but I still am glad they had me, "defective" as I am!