Mild CF?

Sakem

I would say almost all CFers start out as MILD. (course there are always going to be exceptions) And in today's time, I do not think a child w/ mild CF is really that uncommon. It's prob just the opposite, that there are less children with severe CF. But reality is that it is progressive, it's just a matter of how long can u keep it mild. My son's made it til 11 w/o any pseduo. I had plan on it being later than it was, but that's not the way it was.

I think the word "mild" is really only used by doctors to clasify FEV1s. I think anything over 80% is considered mild. It's kind of a bad term, if u think about it, because is there really anything mild about CF?

Sakem

I would say almost all CFers start out as MILD. (course there are always going to be exceptions) And in today's time, I do not think a child w/ mild CF is really that uncommon. It's prob just the opposite, that there are less children with severe CF. But reality is that it is progressive, it's just a matter of how long can u keep it mild. My son's made it til 11 w/o any pseduo. I had plan on it being later than it was, but that's not the way it was.

I think the word "mild" is really only used by doctors to clasify FEV1s. I think anything over 80% is considered mild. It's kind of a bad term, if u think about it, because is there really anything mild about CF?

Sakem

Sakem

Sakem

<br />
<br />I think the word "mild" is really only used by doctors to clasify FEV1s. I think anything over 80% is considered mild. It's kind of a bad term, if u think about it, because is there really anything mild about CF?
<br />
<br />

flatfordl

I agree mild is not a good term. All my family and friends see Avery as so healthy. Is it hard for anyone else to explain to loved ones that CF is progressive? They just don't get it...God love em.

flatfordl

I agree mild is not a good term. All my family and friends see Avery as so healthy. Is it hard for anyone else to explain to loved ones that CF is progressive? They just don't get it...God love em.

flatfordl

flatfordl

flatfordl

<br />
<br />

grassisgreener

Also, we shouldn't forget this:

1994 FDA Aprroved Pulmozyme
1997 FDA Approved TOBI

These drugs, among many others are really changing the "face of CF". It is amazing to think that they have both been around for less than 15 years. And we know there are some pretty cool things coming through the pipeline right now. I think there is much hope for people with CF, regardless of whether they present as mild, moderate or severe today.

grassisgreener

1997 FDA Approved TOBI

These drugs, among many others are really changing the "face of CF". It is amazing to think that they have both been around for less than 15 years. And we know there are some pretty cool things coming through the pipeline right now. I think there is much hope for people with CF, regardless of whether they present as mild, moderate or severe today.

grassisgreener

1997 FDA Approved TOBI

grassisgreener

1997 FDA Approved TOBI

grassisgreener

<br />
<br />1994 FDA Aprroved Pulmozyme
<br />1997 FDA Approved TOBI
<br />
<br />These drugs, among many others are really changing the "face of CF". It is amazing to think that they have both been around for less than 15 years. And we know there are some pretty cool things coming through the pipeline right now. I think there is much hope for people with CF, regardless of whether they present as mild, moderate or severe today.

luvapug3

Hi all!
this is my first post, so please bear with me : ) As an adult with CF, I've always been told that the three degrees of lung disease are mild, moderate and severe. These conditions are based on ones lung function numbers. For example, mild I believe, is 75% or above.
I personally disagree with this labeling for ones overall disease condition, as CF encompasses so many body systems. You could have a CF patient who gets sick and requires frequent IV therapy, and has to take multiple enzymes, etc., but are considered "mild" due to their pulmonary function numbers. I wish doctors wouldn't use this terminology with patients, especially young children. It's too early at that stage to predict anything, unless your little one unfortunately has an extremely low PFT %.
I also believe as a teen or young adult, it can make you feel like your CF experiences are somewhat less than someone who has a lower lung function. I definitely would not want a lower PFT, and feel for those children and adults who do have a lower lung function, but CF effects each one of us differently, and you can't attach a label to or quantify that.
However, that being said, doctors have to use some terminology to express the degree of lung disease, as determined by lung function. Hopes this explains something : )
best wishes,
janet

luvapug3

Hi all!
this is my first post, so please bear with me : ) As an adult with CF, I've always been told that the three degrees of lung disease are mild, moderate and severe. These conditions are based on ones lung function numbers. For example, mild I believe, is 75% or above.
I personally disagree with this labeling for ones overall disease condition, as CF encompasses so many body systems. You could have a CF patient who gets sick and requires frequent IV therapy, and has to take multiple enzymes, etc., but are considered "mild" due to their pulmonary function numbers. I wish doctors wouldn't use this terminology with patients, especially young children. It's too early at that stage to predict anything, unless your little one unfortunately has an extremely low PFT %.
I also believe as a teen or young adult, it can make you feel like your CF experiences are somewhat less than someone who has a lower lung function. I definitely would not want a lower PFT, and feel for those children and adults who do have a lower lung function, but CF effects each one of us differently, and you can't attach a label to or quantify that.
However, that being said, doctors have to use some terminology to express the degree of lung disease, as determined by lung function. Hopes this explains something : )
best wishes,
janet

luvapug3

Hi all!
best wishes,
janet

luvapug3

Hi all!
best wishes,
janet

luvapug3

Hi all!
<br /> this is my first post, so please bear with me : ) As an adult with CF, I've always been told that the three degrees of lung disease are mild, moderate and severe. These conditions are based on ones lung function numbers. For example, mild I believe, is 75% or above.
<br /> I personally disagree with this labeling for ones overall disease condition, as CF encompasses so many body systems. You could have a CF patient who gets sick and requires frequent IV therapy, and has to take multiple enzymes, etc., but are considered "mild" due to their pulmonary function numbers. I wish doctors wouldn't use this terminology with patients, especially young children. It's too early at that stage to predict anything, unless your little one unfortunately has an extremely low PFT %.
<br /> I also believe as a teen or young adult, it can make you feel like your CF experiences are somewhat less than someone who has a lower lung function. I definitely would not want a lower PFT, and feel for those children and adults who do have a lower lung function, but CF effects each one of us differently, and you can't attach a label to or quantify that.
<br /> However, that being said, doctors have to use some terminology to express the degree of lung disease, as determined by lung function. Hopes this explains something : )
<br />best wishes,
<br />janet
<br />
<br />