Mild CF?

janddburke

so now I'm confused.

what is 'atypical' CF?

I get that mild/moderate/severe labels were only meant for pulmonary classifications and most likely are not indicative of future health.

but what is the difference between 'typical' and 'atypical'?

janddburke

so now I'm confused.

what is 'atypical' CF?

I get that mild/moderate/severe labels were only meant for pulmonary classifications and most likely are not indicative of future health.

janddburke

so now I'm confused.

what is 'atypical' CF?

janddburke

so now I'm confused.

what is 'atypical' CF?

janddburke

so now I'm confused.
<br />
<br />what is 'atypical' CF?
<br />
<br />I get that mild/moderate/severe labels were only meant for pulmonary classifications and most likely are not indicative of future health.
<br />
<br />but what is the difference between 'typical' and 'atypical'?

MicheleGazelle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>janddburke</b></i>

what is the difference between 'typical' and 'atypical'?</end quote></div>

My best understanding:

Historically, scoring below 40 on the sweat chloride was a definite "No CF" conclusion and scoring above 80 was a definite "CF" conclusion. The scores in between were an undefined gray zone.

About 11 years or so ago, genetic researchers concluded that the traditional "gray zone" is really a milder form of CF. Some folks in that gray zone are found to have uncommon combos of CF genes. Others (like me and my son) don't manage to get an answer about what genes they have. Some people have been diagnosed with "atypical CF" with scores in the 30's, if they have the profile of health problems that looks like CF. It's basically a term that means you have some form of CF but it's not "classic" or "typical" CF.

Hope that helps.

MicheleGazelle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>janddburke</b></i>

My best understanding:

Historically, scoring below 40 on the sweat chloride was a definite "No CF" conclusion and scoring above 80 was a definite "CF" conclusion. The scores in between were an undefined gray zone.

About 11 years or so ago, genetic researchers concluded that the traditional "gray zone" is really a milder form of CF. Some folks in that gray zone are found to have uncommon combos of CF genes. Others (like me and my son) don't manage to get an answer about what genes they have. Some people have been diagnosed with "atypical CF" with scores in the 30's, if they have the profile of health problems that looks like CF. It's basically a term that means you have some form of CF but it's not "classic" or "typical" CF.

Hope that helps.

MicheleGazelle

My best understanding:

Hope that helps.

MicheleGazelle

what is the difference between 'typical' and 'atypical'?</end quote>

My best understanding:

Hope that helps.

MicheleGazelle

<br />
<br /> what is the difference between 'typical' and 'atypical'?</end quote>
<br />
<br />My best understanding:
<br />
<br />Historically, scoring below 40 on the sweat chloride was a definite "No CF" conclusion and scoring above 80 was a definite "CF" conclusion. The scores in between were an undefined gray zone.
<br />
<br />About 11 years or so ago, genetic researchers concluded that the traditional "gray zone" is really a milder form of CF. Some folks in that gray zone are found to have uncommon combos of CF genes. Others (like me and my son) don't manage to get an answer about what genes they have. Some people have been diagnosed with "atypical CF" with scores in the 30's, if they have the profile of health problems that looks like CF. It's basically a term that means you have some form of CF but it's not "classic" or "typical" CF.
<br />
<br />Hope that helps.
<br />

Buckeye

Debbie - I think everyone including CF doctors are confused about the term "Atypical" CF. My son has that diagnosis because he has a lot of typical CF issues and had very high sweat tests, but they could not find any genetic mutations. So they use the term Atypical to mean CF without genetic verification yet. And this was an actual diagnosis by a CF doctor, not just me saying hey, I think I'll call it Atypical. I have heard many parents on here call their kids Atypical because it isn't presenting itself in the normal way CF presents itself (if there is a normal way) and then some use the term to mean mild. So I think in reality it is a catch-all term that people and doctors use in various way to mean different things. And I have been told by the CF doctors that if we go to the ER or are talking to another doctor just use the term CF because using the word Atypical totally confuses other doctors.

Buckeye

Debbie - I think everyone including CF doctors are confused about the term "Atypical" CF. My son has that diagnosis because he has a lot of typical CF issues and had very high sweat tests, but they could not find any genetic mutations. So they use the term Atypical to mean CF without genetic verification yet. And this was an actual diagnosis by a CF doctor, not just me saying hey, I think I'll call it Atypical. I have heard many parents on here call their kids Atypical because it isn't presenting itself in the normal way CF presents itself (if there is a normal way) and then some use the term to mean mild. So I think in reality it is a catch-all term that people and doctors use in various way to mean different things. And I have been told by the CF doctors that if we go to the ER or are talking to another doctor just use the term CF because using the word Atypical totally confuses other doctors.

Buckeye

Buckeye

Buckeye