Mom's of CF'ers ...come in

JazzysMom

There is NO EXCUSE for that doctor not testing the Dad. If she isnt willing to switch doctors....at least have her contact an accredited CF clinic or another doctor to have the Dad tested.

What people tend to forget is that unless the insurance (like an HMO) dictates who you can see.....that ANY medical doctor can order these tests!!!

JazzysMom

There is NO EXCUSE for that doctor not testing the Dad. If she isnt willing to switch doctors....at least have her contact an accredited CF clinic or another doctor to have the Dad tested.

What people tend to forget is that unless the insurance (like an HMO) dictates who you can see.....that ANY medical doctor can order these tests!!!

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />What people tend to forget is that unless the insurance (like an HMO) dictates who you can see.....that ANY medical doctor can order these tests!!!
<br />
<br />

ktsmom

I will always regret the health stolen from my child by not knowing about her CF until she was 3. "Way back" in 2003 there was no carrier testing and no newborn screening in Oklahoma. I can't even wrap my brain around the fact that given your sister's circumstances a health professional would not want to pursue further testing. I can empathize with your sis based on emotions/denial but I hope you can convince her otherwise.

To answer your question about pregnancy symptoms, I also had the world's biggest C-section fluid wave and my water was slightly tinged with meconium. I think DD had an undiagonsed meconium plug or the beginnings of one if there is such a thing, looking back on a bunch of other symptoms/happenings. They all would have pointed to CF if we had the benefit of carrier screening.

Good luck to your sister! J will enjoy being a cousin I know!

ktsmom

I will always regret the health stolen from my child by not knowing about her CF until she was 3. "Way back" in 2003 there was no carrier testing and no newborn screening in Oklahoma. I can't even wrap my brain around the fact that given your sister's circumstances a health professional would not want to pursue further testing. I can empathize with your sis based on emotions/denial but I hope you can convince her otherwise.

To answer your question about pregnancy symptoms, I also had the world's biggest C-section fluid wave and my water was slightly tinged with meconium. I think DD had an undiagonsed meconium plug or the beginnings of one if there is such a thing, looking back on a bunch of other symptoms/happenings. They all would have pointed to CF if we had the benefit of carrier screening.

ktsmom

ktsmom

ktsmom

<br />
<br />To answer your question about pregnancy symptoms, I also had the world's biggest C-section fluid wave and my water was slightly tinged with meconium. I think DD had an undiagonsed meconium plug or the beginnings of one if there is such a thing, looking back on a bunch of other symptoms/happenings. They all would have pointed to CF if we had the benefit of carrier screening.
<br />
<br />Good luck to your sister! J will enjoy being a cousin I know!

debs2girls

IMHO, I would push for testing the baby in utero. If they test the dad and he is a carrier, it doesnt automatically mean the baby will have CF...might as well go straight to baby testing. I dont trust cf testing on adults...amnio is foolproof.

debs2girls

IMHO, I would push for testing the baby in utero. If they test the dad and he is a carrier, it doesnt automatically mean the baby will have CF...might as well go straight to baby testing. I dont trust cf testing on adults...amnio is foolproof.

debs2girls

debs2girls

debs2girls

jdprecious

Thank you ladies. Every single one of you have echo'd my exact words and concerns but bc she is young (21) and this is her first baby/marriage blah blah I didn't want to be a kill joy but I feel SOOOOO STRONGLY about it after my experiences getting Jae diagnosed and all the BS since day one with her, I just want to save my baby sis the pain and heartache that come with the unknown when in fact she could know if she truly wanted to.

If you don't mind, I would like to email this thread to her in hopes that reading all of your responses will change her mind or at least give her a glimmer of what can and may happen if she continues to not push this issue.

Thank you all backing me up here and sharing your stories! I appreciate each of you! xoxoxo JD

jdprecious

Thank you ladies. Every single one of you have echo'd my exact words and concerns but bc she is young (21) and this is her first baby/marriage blah blah I didn't want to be a kill joy but I feel SOOOOO STRONGLY about it after my experiences getting Jae diagnosed and all the BS since day one with her, I just want to save my baby sis the pain and heartache that come with the unknown when in fact she could know if she truly wanted to.

If you don't mind, I would like to email this thread to her in hopes that reading all of your responses will change her mind or at least give her a glimmer of what can and may happen if she continues to not push this issue.

Thank you all backing me up here and sharing your stories! I appreciate each of you! xoxoxo JD

jdprecious

jdprecious

jdprecious

<br />
<br />If you don't mind, I would like to email this thread to her in hopes that reading all of your responses will change her mind or at least give her a glimmer of what can and may happen if she continues to not push this issue.
<br />
<br />Thank you all backing me up here and sharing your stories! I appreciate each of you! xoxoxo JD