Morbid question ...

Grendel

With FEV1 of 40%, and doing nothing to manage CF, no albuterol, pulmozyme, zithromycian, or digestive enzymes, how long would it take to expire?

How long would it take you to expire if you just stopped fighting or trying?

Grendel

Grendel

With FEV1 of 40%, and doing nothing to manage CF, no albuterol, pulmozyme, zithromycian, or digestive enzymes, how long would it take to expire?

Grendel

Grendel

Grendel

Grendel

Grendel

Grendel

<br />
<br />How long would it take you to expire if you just stopped fighting or trying?
<br />
<br />Grendel

Transplantmommy

I'm not sure. I think it depends on the person. What I can tell you is that I had 40% lung function, dropped to 37% after my pregnancy, and then continued to drop.

I was doing all of my breathing treatments and chest PT and I went from that 37% in January 2006 to only 16% by the time that I had transplants in January the next year. With how much I was dropping, I probably would have not made it another 6 months without the transplants (and with doing my meds).

Transplantmommy

I'm not sure. I think it depends on the person. What I can tell you is that I had 40% lung function, dropped to 37% after my pregnancy, and then continued to drop.

I was doing all of my breathing treatments and chest PT and I went from that 37% in January 2006 to only 16% by the time that I had transplants in January the next year. With how much I was dropping, I probably would have not made it another 6 months without the transplants (and with doing my meds).

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

<br />
<br />I was doing all of my breathing treatments and chest PT and I went from that 37% in January 2006 to only 16% by the time that I had transplants in January the next year. With how much I was dropping, I probably would have not made it another 6 months without the transplants (and with doing my meds).

just1more

While I agree with your title, I feel compelled to answer.

First of all, is this something you are considering? I don't know you or your story, but this is a drastic step.

As for how long, it is impossible to know, everyone is starting from a different point; however if your FEV is 40% then you may be well down that road.

Ultimately, what will get you depends on your CF issues:

If you are signficantly PI, then you will drop weight rapidly, your vitamin levels will drop, you will become weak, and susceptable to infections. In addition, you could develop a bowel obstruction. Both the vitamin issues and the bowel obstruction could, if not treated, become fatal.

Assuming you follow a more 'normal' course, the lack of lung treatments will allow any bugs you currently culture to grow ramptant. Plus, you will become an open door to new infections. You will ultimately develop pneumonia and your FEV's will drop, likely quickly w/o treatment. As your lungs fail you will ultimately lose your fight with CF.

As I said, how long is up to God. You could live quite some time or you could last weeks/months. A lot depends on your current overall health and what you are culturing currently.

just1more

First of all, is this something you are considering? I don't know you or your story, but this is a drastic step.

As for how long, it is impossible to know, everyone is starting from a different point; however if your FEV is 40% then you may be well down that road.

If you are signficantly PI, then you will drop weight rapidly, your vitamin levels will drop, you will become weak, and susceptable to infections. In addition, you could develop a bowel obstruction. Both the vitamin issues and the bowel obstruction could, if not treated, become fatal.

Assuming you follow a more 'normal' course, the lack of lung treatments will allow any bugs you currently culture to grow ramptant. Plus, you will become an open door to new infections. You will ultimately develop pneumonia and your FEV's will drop, likely quickly w/o treatment. As your lungs fail you will ultimately lose your fight with CF.

As I said, how long is up to God. You could live quite some time or you could last weeks/months. A lot depends on your current overall health and what you are culturing currently.

just1more

just1more

just1more

<br />
<br />First of all, is this something you are considering? I don't know you or your story, but this is a drastic step.
<br />
<br />As for how long, it is impossible to know, everyone is starting from a different point; however if your FEV is 40% then you may be well down that road.
<br />
<br />Ultimately, what will get you depends on your CF issues:
<br />
<br />If you are signficantly PI, then you will drop weight rapidly, your vitamin levels will drop, you will become weak, and susceptable to infections. In addition, you could develop a bowel obstruction. Both the vitamin issues and the bowel obstruction could, if not treated, become fatal.
<br />
<br />Assuming you follow a more 'normal' course, the lack of lung treatments will allow any bugs you currently culture to grow ramptant. Plus, you will become an open door to new infections. You will ultimately develop pneumonia and your FEV's will drop, likely quickly w/o treatment. As your lungs fail you will ultimately lose your fight with CF.
<br />
<br />As I said, how long is up to God. You could live quite some time or you could last weeks/months. A lot depends on your current overall health and what you are culturing currently.