Morning Blood Sugars

mamerth

I did great with my sugars for about 2 weeks after coming home from my surgery and tune up. Now.... I am ready to scream.

My blood sugars in the morning are horrible. I get up and eat what I think is a pretty decent breakfast-- oatmeal with a few blueberries, hash browns or an english muffin and then 1/2 carton of "carb master" yogurt. The yogurt has 6 grams of protein and 1 1/2 grams of carbs in the serving I am eating.

Within 1 to 1 1/2 hours from eating my sugars begin to fall very quickly. It is like my sugars are not even getting very high. By 2 hours I am shaking and running for the orange juice and peanuts. The rest of the day I have no troubles. From then on my sugars stay pretty steady and don't fall as quickly. I am even able to go 2+ hours after lunch and 3 hours after supper.

What makes my morning sugars so touchy??? Am I eating the wrong foods?? Should I trash the yogurt and try something different (eggs, breakfast meat)?? I am will to do what I need to to stop the morning crashes.

mamerth

I did great with my sugars for about 2 weeks after coming home from my surgery and tune up. Now.... I am ready to scream.

My blood sugars in the morning are horrible. I get up and eat what I think is a pretty decent breakfast-- oatmeal with a few blueberries, hash browns or an english muffin and then 1/2 carton of "carb master" yogurt. The yogurt has 6 grams of protein and 1 1/2 grams of carbs in the serving I am eating.

Within 1 to 1 1/2 hours from eating my sugars begin to fall very quickly. It is like my sugars are not even getting very high. By 2 hours I am shaking and running for the orange juice and peanuts. The rest of the day I have no troubles. From then on my sugars stay pretty steady and don't fall as quickly. I am even able to go 2+ hours after lunch and 3 hours after supper.

What makes my morning sugars so touchy??? Am I eating the wrong foods?? Should I trash the yogurt and try something different (eggs, breakfast meat)?? I am will to do what I need to to stop the morning crashes.

mamerth

<br />
<br />My blood sugars in the morning are horrible. I get up and eat what I think is a pretty decent breakfast-- oatmeal with a few blueberries, hash browns or an english muffin and then 1/2 carton of "carb master" yogurt. The yogurt has 6 grams of protein and 1 1/2 grams of carbs in the serving I am eating.
<br />
<br />Within 1 to 1 1/2 hours from eating my sugars begin to fall very quickly. It is like my sugars are not even getting very high. By 2 hours I am shaking and running for the orange juice and peanuts. The rest of the day I have no troubles. From then on my sugars stay pretty steady and don't fall as quickly. I am even able to go 2+ hours after lunch and 3 hours after supper.
<br />
<br />What makes my morning sugars so touchy??? Am I eating the wrong foods?? Should I trash the yogurt and try something different (eggs, breakfast meat)?? I am will to do what I need to to stop the morning crashes.

CountryGirl

I would reccommend drinking some juice with it, orange or apple.

Also, you need a protein to help plateau your blood sugars. So like you said, bacon, eggs, that might help.

Sorry I dont have any more suggestions.

CountryGirl

Also, you need a protein to help plateau your blood sugars. So like you said, bacon, eggs, that might help.

Sorry I dont have any more suggestions.

CountryGirl

<br />
<br />Also, you need a protein to help plateau your blood sugars. So like you said, bacon, eggs, that might help.
<br />
<br />Sorry I dont have any more suggestions.

rubyroselee

Hi,

I am also having the same issue. Although I haven't been diagnosed with CFRD yet, my morning blood sugars are a mess! I'm actually going through studies with an endocrinologist right now because my CF doctor doesn't even know if it's CF related - even though I'm pretty darn sure it is. My endocrinologist says I secrete inappropriate amounts of insulin. He's putting me through a morning test next month where I eat a sugary breakfast and then they will monitor my blood sugar and take blood tests. I told them they better have an IV of dextrose ready for me because I crash so fast. Last time I went down to 29.

It's the same with me...about 2 hrs after breakfast my blood sugar crashes. It's usually set off by the amount of sugar I eat in the morning, so I try to stay away from the sugars. The more sugar I eat, the quicker my blood sugar falls shortly afterwards. Is your oatmeal sweetened? How much sugar is in the yogurt?

My suggestion would be to eliminate as much sugar as possible from your breakfast and see if that makes a difference, so that your pancreas doesn't want to react to that.

Let us know if you find out anything that works for you. I think this problem is more common than we think because I have found a lot of people on here in the past who have the crashing morning sugar issue.

rubyroselee

Hi,

I am also having the same issue. Although I haven't been diagnosed with CFRD yet, my morning blood sugars are a mess! I'm actually going through studies with an endocrinologist right now because my CF doctor doesn't even know if it's CF related - even though I'm pretty darn sure it is. My endocrinologist says I secrete inappropriate amounts of insulin. He's putting me through a morning test next month where I eat a sugary breakfast and then they will monitor my blood sugar and take blood tests. I told them they better have an IV of dextrose ready for me because I crash so fast. Last time I went down to 29.

It's the same with me...about 2 hrs after breakfast my blood sugar crashes. It's usually set off by the amount of sugar I eat in the morning, so I try to stay away from the sugars. The more sugar I eat, the quicker my blood sugar falls shortly afterwards. Is your oatmeal sweetened? How much sugar is in the yogurt?

My suggestion would be to eliminate as much sugar as possible from your breakfast and see if that makes a difference, so that your pancreas doesn't want to react to that.

Let us know if you find out anything that works for you. I think this problem is more common than we think because I have found a lot of people on here in the past who have the crashing morning sugar issue.

rubyroselee

Hi,
<br />
<br />I am also having the same issue. Although I haven't been diagnosed with CFRD yet, my morning blood sugars are a mess! I'm actually going through studies with an endocrinologist right now because my CF doctor doesn't even know if it's CF related - even though I'm pretty darn sure it is. My endocrinologist says I secrete inappropriate amounts of insulin. He's putting me through a morning test next month where I eat a sugary breakfast and then they will monitor my blood sugar and take blood tests. I told them they better have an IV of dextrose ready for me because I crash so fast. Last time I went down to 29.
<br />
<br />It's the same with me...about 2 hrs after breakfast my blood sugar crashes. It's usually set off by the amount of sugar I eat in the morning, so I try to stay away from the sugars. The more sugar I eat, the quicker my blood sugar falls shortly afterwards. Is your oatmeal sweetened? How much sugar is in the yogurt?
<br />
<br />My suggestion would be to eliminate as much sugar as possible from your breakfast and see if that makes a difference, so that your pancreas doesn't want to react to that.
<br />
<br />Let us know if you find out anything that works for you. I think this problem is more common than we think because I have found a lot of people on here in the past who have the crashing morning sugar issue.

Ender

Coffee has been shown to mess with peoples blood sugar that has type 2 diabetes. Try cutting that out and see what happens. It's always the culprit for me

Ender

Coffee has been shown to mess with peoples blood sugar that has type 2 diabetes. Try cutting that out and see what happens. It's always the culprit for me

Ender

Fancymushroom

I reckon you need to increase the protein and fat and decrease the carbs a little more. More calories also, because you do need to load up at the start of the day after all night with no food! If you don't like to eat alot in one sitting, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with having a mid morning snack, if that's what keeps your sugars stable.

I'm not diabetic but I do need to eat fairly low GI foods to keep my energy levels up - I have oats cooked in full fat milk, with some peanut butter and a banana. Or full fat greek yoghurt with banana and honey.

Eggs are a good choice too, especially with some wholegrain toast.

Fancymushroom

I reckon you need to increase the protein and fat and decrease the carbs a little more. More calories also, because you do need to load up at the start of the day after all night with no food! If you don't like to eat alot in one sitting, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with having a mid morning snack, if that's what keeps your sugars stable.

I'm not diabetic but I do need to eat fairly low GI foods to keep my energy levels up - I have oats cooked in full fat milk, with some peanut butter and a banana. Or full fat greek yoghurt with banana and honey.

Eggs are a good choice too, especially with some wholegrain toast.

Fancymushroom

<br />
<br />I'm not diabetic but I do need to eat fairly low GI foods to keep my energy levels up - I have oats cooked in full fat milk, with some peanut butter and a banana. Or full fat greek yoghurt with banana and honey.
<br />
<br />Eggs are a good choice too, especially with some wholegrain toast.

mamerth

I may have solved the problem.... we will see in a few more mornings.

I dont drink coffee. I deleted the carb master yogurt and added eggs to my breakfast plus a few ounces of orange juice and today my sugars were great. I made it to the 2 hour mark and my sugars were 92. My kinda numbers!!! I had a bowl of oatmeal, an entire english muffin, 1 egg scrambled and 2-3 ounces of orange juice.

I had enough energy to take a bath, clean the kitchen from our breakfast mess, make my bed, wrap up 2 boxes to be shipped, write a few letters and pick up my sewing mess from my office. Most mornings I would have crashed and burned after 1/4 of that.

I am noticing that I am needing more food since my tune up and surgery. I am also noticing that I am loosing weight. (that is a good thing since I am 20 lbs over weight).

mamerth

I may have solved the problem.... we will see in a few more mornings.

I dont drink coffee. I deleted the carb master yogurt and added eggs to my breakfast plus a few ounces of orange juice and today my sugars were great. I made it to the 2 hour mark and my sugars were 92. My kinda numbers!!! I had a bowl of oatmeal, an entire english muffin, 1 egg scrambled and 2-3 ounces of orange juice.

I had enough energy to take a bath, clean the kitchen from our breakfast mess, make my bed, wrap up 2 boxes to be shipped, write a few letters and pick up my sewing mess from my office. Most mornings I would have crashed and burned after 1/4 of that.

I am noticing that I am needing more food since my tune up and surgery. I am also noticing that I am loosing weight. (that is a good thing since I am 20 lbs over weight).