my lung function sucks!!!!

BrittaniJo2190

so i finally switched to a cf clinic and they had me do a pulmonary function test, the doctor read my results and told me something about me being 14 out of a 100.. he said i was moderate to severe! he also said he didnt think i would go past 30 weeks.. im already 21! this realy scares me.. i mean yeah i feel a little worse since i got pregnant but i didnt think i was that bad! has this ever happened to anyone else, and did you feel better after having the baby? im just so scared that this is going to kill me.. ive always thought of myself as healthy but now i dont know! also the nurse was telling me there is some trial pill out that corrects the genetic mutation that i could try but not until the baby is born.. has anyone ever tried it? im just freaking out.. i really hope i can be there for my kids!

BrittaniJo2190

so i finally switched to a cf clinic and they had me do a pulmonary function test, the doctor read my results and told me something about me being 14 out of a 100.. he said i was moderate to severe! he also said he didnt think i would go past 30 weeks.. im already 21! this realy scares me.. i mean yeah i feel a little worse since i got pregnant but i didnt think i was that bad! has this ever happened to anyone else, and did you feel better after having the baby? im just so scared that this is going to kill me.. ive always thought of myself as healthy but now i dont know! also the nurse was telling me there is some trial pill out that corrects the genetic mutation that i could try but not until the baby is born.. has anyone ever tried it? im just freaking out.. i really hope i can be there for my kids!

BrittaniJo2190

BrittaniJo2190

BrittaniJo2190

S

semperfiohana

14 out of 100? i've never heard of it measured like that. what was he talking about?

S

semperfiohana

14 out of 100? i've never heard of it measured like that. what was he talking about?

S

semperfiohana

S

semperfiohana

S

semperfiohana

K

Keepercjr

I'm just as confused as Candice. 14 out of 100 isn't a measurement that is used in CF. 14% lung function would not be considered moderate - you'd be waiting for a lung transplant and barely able to function so I'm sure that isn't what he meant. And just because he doesn't think you'll go past 30 weeks DOES NOT mean that you won't. Please relax and put a call into your doctor on Monday to have him explain things to you better. Ask to know your percentages of FEV and FEV1.

Baby is crying so I have to go. Have you never been to a CF doctor before?

K

Keepercjr

I'm just as confused as Candice. 14 out of 100 isn't a measurement that is used in CF. 14% lung function would not be considered moderate - you'd be waiting for a lung transplant and barely able to function so I'm sure that isn't what he meant. And just because he doesn't think you'll go past 30 weeks DOES NOT mean that you won't. Please relax and put a call into your doctor on Monday to have him explain things to you better. Ask to know your percentages of FEV and FEV1.

K

Keepercjr

K

Keepercjr

K

Keepercjr

<br />
<br />Baby is crying so I have to go. Have you never been to a CF doctor before?

Jeana

First of all, if you aren't already, be seeing a perinatologist for high risk pregnancies. They can be so reassuring and helpful. I don't understand the 14 out of 100 either, so definitely ask for an FEV1.

So, while I was pregnant I dropped from an 80% FEV1 to 46% FEV1. I was hospitalized and given IV drugs (Colistin, Tobramycin, Vancomycin and Ceftazidime), as well as Prednisone. They had told me that I would probably deliver early, but I made it to 37 weeks and they induced me due to pre-eclampsic symptoms (high blood pressures and swelling) and overall decreased lung function. I, too, was scared that it was the beginning of the end of my life. My lung function was up to 68% within a couple of days of delivering and up to 81% about a month after Alex was born. He was an 8-9 on the Apgar and weighed 6 pounds 7 ounces. He is beautiful and healthy and growing fine. My lung function did drop back down a little to about 75%, but it had been 75% for about 5 years prior to the one really good FEV1 right before Alex was conceived, so it is really about the same.

I hope this reassures you and please let us know what the CF doc says about your FEV1. Feel free to PM me if you want, as well.

Jeana

First of all, if you aren't already, be seeing a perinatologist for high risk pregnancies. They can be so reassuring and helpful. I don't understand the 14 out of 100 either, so definitely ask for an FEV1.

So, while I was pregnant I dropped from an 80% FEV1 to 46% FEV1. I was hospitalized and given IV drugs (Colistin, Tobramycin, Vancomycin and Ceftazidime), as well as Prednisone. They had told me that I would probably deliver early, but I made it to 37 weeks and they induced me due to pre-eclampsic symptoms (high blood pressures and swelling) and overall decreased lung function. I, too, was scared that it was the beginning of the end of my life. My lung function was up to 68% within a couple of days of delivering and up to 81% about a month after Alex was born. He was an 8-9 on the Apgar and weighed 6 pounds 7 ounces. He is beautiful and healthy and growing fine. My lung function did drop back down a little to about 75%, but it had been 75% for about 5 years prior to the one really good FEV1 right before Alex was conceived, so it is really about the same.

I hope this reassures you and please let us know what the CF doc says about your FEV1. Feel free to PM me if you want, as well.

Jeana

Jeana

Jeana

<br />
<br />So, while I was pregnant I dropped from an 80% FEV1 to 46% FEV1. I was hospitalized and given IV drugs (Colistin, Tobramycin, Vancomycin and Ceftazidime), as well as Prednisone. They had told me that I would probably deliver early, but I made it to 37 weeks and they induced me due to pre-eclampsic symptoms (high blood pressures and swelling) and overall decreased lung function. I, too, was scared that it was the beginning of the end of my life. My lung function was up to 68% within a couple of days of delivering and up to 81% about a month after Alex was born. He was an 8-9 on the Apgar and weighed 6 pounds 7 ounces. He is beautiful and healthy and growing fine. My lung function did drop back down a little to about 75%, but it had been 75% for about 5 years prior to the one really good FEV1 right before Alex was conceived, so it is really about the same.
<br />
<br />I hope this reassures you and please let us know what the CF doc says about your FEV1. Feel free to PM me if you want, as well.