My PFT's are down... any advice?

jfarel

Prednisone will work for bronchial constriction caused by inflammation. It's not going to help with infection.

jfarel

Prednisone will work for bronchial constriction caused by inflammation. It's not going to help with infection.

jfarel

Justsmurfin

Have you ever tried MucoMyst?

I was pretty sick back in july/august. Did Cipro and TOBI, intensive CPT etc etc and just could not get better. Turns out the cipro and TOBI did work on the infection. I was just dealing with inflammation and mucus plugs.

SO my doctor prescribed Mucomyst and a short course of prednisone. Sure enough I greatly improved! And have been much healthier since being on the Mucomyst. I take it mixed with albuterol and cromolyn

Also how about your sinuses? Sometimes when I've had a hard to clear infection it would turn out that my sinuses were a big culprit

Mucinex is also good to loosen all that gunk.

If you have a flutter or acapella you can try doing it while taking a hot shower....talk about really getting some stuff up!

Justsmurfin

I was pretty sick back in july/august. Did Cipro and TOBI, intensive CPT etc etc and just could not get better. Turns out the cipro and TOBI did work on the infection. I was just dealing with inflammation and mucus plugs.

SO my doctor prescribed Mucomyst and a short course of prednisone. Sure enough I greatly improved! And have been much healthier since being on the Mucomyst. I take it mixed with albuterol and cromolyn

Also how about your sinuses? Sometimes when I've had a hard to clear infection it would turn out that my sinuses were a big culprit

If you have a flutter or acapella you can try doing it while taking a hot shower....talk about really getting some stuff up!

Justsmurfin

yeah used mucomyst years and years ago, I never realized they still prescribed it. No one has prescribed that for me in years. Its just really hard to looson anything up cuz my chest hurts when I cough.. it feels like the pluerisy that i had on the other side, a month ago. I think i'm gonna call the doc on tuesday cuz there's really no point in my going in the hospital unless my doc is reachable. so i can make sure he puts me on the right meds.

yeah used mucomyst years and years ago, I never realized they still prescribed it. No one has prescribed that for me in years. Its just really hard to looson anything up cuz my chest hurts when I cough.. it feels like the pluerisy that i had on the other side, a month ago. I think i'm gonna call the doc on tuesday cuz there's really no point in my going in the hospital unless my doc is reachable. so i can make sure he puts me on the right meds.

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>twistedlibrarian</b></i>

yeah used mucomyst years and years ago, I never realized they still prescribed it. No one has prescribed that for me in years. Its just really hard to looson anything up cuz my chest hurts when I cough.. it feels like the pluerisy that i had on the other side, a month ago. I think i'm gonna call the doc on tuesday cuz there's really no point in my going in the hospital unless my doc is reachable. so i can make sure he puts me on the right meds.</end quote></div>

Some doctors/clinics prefer this over the Pulmozyne. I also havent used it in years. A few (very few) of the patients from my clinic use it. Not sure what the reasons for them are tho.......I dont remember reactions or how I felt using it since it has been soooo log~~

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>twistedlibrarian</b></i>

yeah used mucomyst years and years ago, I never realized they still prescribed it. No one has prescribed that for me in years. Its just really hard to looson anything up cuz my chest hurts when I cough.. it feels like the pluerisy that i had on the other side, a month ago. I think i'm gonna call the doc on tuesday cuz there's really no point in my going in the hospital unless my doc is reachable. so i can make sure he puts me on the right meds.</end quote></div>

Some doctors/clinics prefer this over the Pulmozyne. I also havent used it in years. A few (very few) of the patients from my clinic use it. Not sure what the reasons for them are tho.......I dont remember reactions or how I felt using it since it has been soooo log~~

JazzysMom

Scarlett81

I didn't read every single comment so sorry if I repeat anyone.

1. Are you making your therapies count?-Really getting the frequencies up high and huff coughing to get mucus out with your vest?

2. When I am starting to get sick I up my Vit C supplements, B complex, Garlic, and I juice with my juicer-apples, carrots, lemons. Nothing is a good for immune system as raw natural vitamins.

3.Have you ever used TOBI? That can help. Sometimes I use it in conjunction with Cipro or Augmentin.

4. If after all that and there is no progress after a week or so-I realize that I need IVs again, and not consider it a defeat but a little setback.

Scarlett81

1. Are you making your therapies count?-Really getting the frequencies up high and huff coughing to get mucus out with your vest?

2. When I am starting to get sick I up my Vit C supplements, B complex, Garlic, and I juice with my juicer-apples, carrots, lemons. Nothing is a good for immune system as raw natural vitamins.

3.Have you ever used TOBI? That can help. Sometimes I use it in conjunction with Cipro or Augmentin.

4. If after all that and there is no progress after a week or so-I realize that I need IVs again, and not consider it a defeat but a little setback.

Scarlett81

Ok. I started using Vit C and I started myself on some prednisone I had laying around. At least until I know I can talk to my doctor. I wish I could be on Tobi, but I have some kind of bad reaction to it, it irritates my throat and I get these coughing exacerbations, til my chest starts hurting even worse. After trying it several times, I don't even try it any more. I have been trying to make my vest count, but the only way I can do really vigourous treatments with it, is to take percocet which the doc prescribed for my pluerisy. I just hate being doped up all the time! lol but you do what you gotta do.. right?

Ok. I started using Vit C and I started myself on some prednisone I had laying around. At least until I know I can talk to my doctor. I wish I could be on Tobi, but I have some kind of bad reaction to it, it irritates my throat and I get these coughing exacerbations, til my chest starts hurting even worse. After trying it several times, I don't even try it any more. I have been trying to make my vest count, but the only way I can do really vigourous treatments with it, is to take percocet which the doc prescribed for my pluerisy. I just hate being doped up all the time! lol but you do what you gotta do.. right?

Scarlett81

Could you arrange for someone to clap you instead of using the vest?

And if you have pleuresy-maybe is that why you are having problems right now?-If your pleuresy isn't under control? I mean how can you get mucus out if you can't do airway clearance?! It seems like a vicious cycle.

Scarlett81

Could you arrange for someone to clap you instead of using the vest?

And if you have pleuresy-maybe is that why you are having problems right now?-If your pleuresy isn't under control? I mean how can you get mucus out if you can't do airway clearance?! It seems like a vicious cycle.