Need advice on enzymes!

amber682

When my son was little we would dip our pinky in the creon beads to pick up a little, then wipe it along the inside of his cheek, then hurry up and put the bottle in his mouth. We'd let him get a few sips, then do it again until we got all the enzymes in. Sometimes I'd dip the nipple right into the beads, then put it in his mouth. Vinny always hated applesauce, so I used baby bananas (still do today!).

amber682

When my son was little we would dip our pinky in the creon beads to pick up a little, then wipe it along the inside of his cheek, then hurry up and put the bottle in his mouth. We'd let him get a few sips, then do it again until we got all the enzymes in. Sometimes I'd dip the nipple right into the beads, then put it in his mouth. Vinny always hated applesauce, so I used baby bananas (still do today!).

amber682

amber682

M

Mommafirst

Hi Brande,

I know its frustrating. My daughter didn't start on creon until almost a year old, so I can only imagine the frustration when they are soooo tiny. They have all those reflexes that is probably got him pushing it out with his tongue.

I don't have any good advice, but just wanted to tell you to hang in there. Getting enzymes into my daughter was a struggle when we started, but now at only 16 months she will pick the pill up and suck out the enzyme beads on her own, LOL!!! They learn fast I guess!!

M

Mommafirst

Hi Brande,

I know its frustrating. My daughter didn't start on creon until almost a year old, so I can only imagine the frustration when they are soooo tiny. They have all those reflexes that is probably got him pushing it out with his tongue.

I don't have any good advice, but just wanted to tell you to hang in there. Getting enzymes into my daughter was a struggle when we started, but now at only 16 months she will pick the pill up and suck out the enzyme beads on her own, LOL!!! They learn fast I guess!!

M

Mommafirst

Hi Brande,

M

Mommafirst

Hi Brande,

M

Mommafirst

Hi Brande,

M

Mommafirst

Hi Brande,

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Newborns tongues automatically push things out for about 3 months or so. Sort of a genetic safety measure. We started giving DS enzymes at 1 week old -- we started off using a tongue depresser, slid in and out easily; however, a couple of times we irritated the roof of his mouth, so we switched to as flat of a baby spoon as we could find. Also, baby food bananas worked much better than applesauce -- was stickier, so the enzymes stuck to them and stayed in the mouth.

Also depends upon the type of enzymes - pancreacarb, which is what we started with -- THOUSANDS of tiny microbeads, which I'd find in his hair, on me, on his clothing, bedding, the floor -- and if they got on skin, they'd irritate. We'd started switching to an oral syringe with bananas, but then the doctor switched him to Pancrease mt4s, bigger beads that wouldn't fit in a syringe, but easier to keep track of.

Basically it just takes practice. We'd slip in the enzymes and follow very quickly with the bottle.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Newborns tongues automatically push things out for about 3 months or so. Sort of a genetic safety measure. We started giving DS enzymes at 1 week old -- we started off using a tongue depresser, slid in and out easily; however, a couple of times we irritated the roof of his mouth, so we switched to as flat of a baby spoon as we could find. Also, baby food bananas worked much better than applesauce -- was stickier, so the enzymes stuck to them and stayed in the mouth.

Also depends upon the type of enzymes - pancreacarb, which is what we started with -- THOUSANDS of tiny microbeads, which I'd find in his hair, on me, on his clothing, bedding, the floor -- and if they got on skin, they'd irritate. We'd started switching to an oral syringe with bananas, but then the doctor switched him to Pancrease mt4s, bigger beads that wouldn't fit in a syringe, but easier to keep track of.

Basically it just takes practice. We'd slip in the enzymes and follow very quickly with the bottle.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Mommy2Alysa

My daughter Alysa has been on enzymes (cotazyme 8) since November (when she was diagnosed at 18 months old) and what we found worked best was buying those individual cups of applesauce, or buying a big jar and putting it into a small bowl, and then mixing all her enzymes into the applesauce. Also, I am not sure what kind you are on but I was told to make sure she has a drink handy for after because if there are any little beads left in her mouth she can get sores.

Make sure you have more applesauce then enzyme in each bite and normally she doesnt even notice (or maybe she is just used to it). Of course she has her days where she refuses to take it and its a struggle but what two year old doesnt have bad days?

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Mommy2Alysa

My daughter Alysa has been on enzymes (cotazyme 8) since November (when she was diagnosed at 18 months old) and what we found worked best was buying those individual cups of applesauce, or buying a big jar and putting it into a small bowl, and then mixing all her enzymes into the applesauce. Also, I am not sure what kind you are on but I was told to make sure she has a drink handy for after because if there are any little beads left in her mouth she can get sores.

Make sure you have more applesauce then enzyme in each bite and normally she doesnt even notice (or maybe she is just used to it). Of course she has her days where she refuses to take it and its a struggle but what two year old doesnt have bad days?

Mommy2Alysa

Mommy2Alysa