new baby

NancyLKF

Hi. Our daughter was just diagnosed with CF 3 days ago - she is now 10 days old. We have had a very difficult few days and are terrified for our child and what she will have to go through in her life. We are also scared for how long she will live. We are looking for some hope and a support system and are glad to have found this site.
I guess we are looking for words of encouragement right now since we are scared we won't do a good enough job taking care of her. Is it okay for her to see her cousins who are so excited to meet her? Can I take her to church or the mall or a restaurant? What are our limitations on being around people?

NancyLKF

Hi. Our daughter was just diagnosed with CF 3 days ago - she is now 10 days old. We have had a very difficult few days and are terrified for our child and what she will have to go through in her life. We are also scared for how long she will live. We are looking for some hope and a support system and are glad to have found this site.
I guess we are looking for words of encouragement right now since we are scared we won't do a good enough job taking care of her. Is it okay for her to see her cousins who are so excited to meet her? Can I take her to church or the mall or a restaurant? What are our limitations on being around people?

NancyLKF

NancyLKF

NancyLKF

<br />I guess we are looking for words of encouragement right now since we are scared we won't do a good enough job taking care of her. Is it okay for her to see her cousins who are so excited to meet her? Can I take her to church or the mall or a restaurant? What are our limitations on being around people?

M

Mommafirst

Welcome to the site you never dreamed you would need. I'm sorry you need us, but I hope you will get the strenth and hope and information you need here.

In the early days after my dd was diagnosed, I was a mess. It was very scary and nearly impossible to imagine the little girl she would become. There is great reasons to be hopeful and to treat your daughter as normally as you can.

I think that you should take care with your newborn in the same way you would any other newborn in January. If her cousins aren't sick and can take the proper care to wash their hands and be cautious about germs, then I'd think its okay. But some doctors might disagree. RSV is no fun for any newborn, but the lung aspects might impact a CF child worse.

I know its scary. Eventually you will learn to find a balance between protecting her and letting her live. There are no bubble you can wrap her in and even if you could, what kind of life would that be??

(((HUGS))) It get's easier!!!!

M

Mommafirst

Welcome to the site you never dreamed you would need. I'm sorry you need us, but I hope you will get the strenth and hope and information you need here.

In the early days after my dd was diagnosed, I was a mess. It was very scary and nearly impossible to imagine the little girl she would become. There is great reasons to be hopeful and to treat your daughter as normally as you can.

I think that you should take care with your newborn in the same way you would any other newborn in January. If her cousins aren't sick and can take the proper care to wash their hands and be cautious about germs, then I'd think its okay. But some doctors might disagree. RSV is no fun for any newborn, but the lung aspects might impact a CF child worse.

I know its scary. Eventually you will learn to find a balance between protecting her and letting her live. There are no bubble you can wrap her in and even if you could, what kind of life would that be??

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />In the early days after my dd was diagnosed, I was a mess. It was very scary and nearly impossible to imagine the little girl she would become. There is great reasons to be hopeful and to treat your daughter as normally as you can.
<br />
<br />I think that you should take care with your newborn in the same way you would any other newborn in January. If her cousins aren't sick and can take the proper care to wash their hands and be cautious about germs, then I'd think its okay. But some doctors might disagree. RSV is no fun for any newborn, but the lung aspects might impact a CF child worse.
<br />
<br />I know its scary. Eventually you will learn to find a balance between protecting her and letting her live. There are no bubble you can wrap her in and even if you could, what kind of life would that be??
<br />
<br />(((HUGS))) It get's easier!!!!

MicheleGazelle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>NancyLKF</b></i>
We are also scared for how long she will live. We are looking for some hope and a support system and are glad to have found this site.

I guess we are looking for words of encouragement right now </end quote></div>

These are some best case scenarios, not intended to suggest that this is what everyone can expect. I am replying with this info because you asked specifically for hope and encouragement. This is intended to help round out the picture for you, not intended to suggest that living with CF is a piece of cake.
---------

My oldest son and I were diagnosed about 7 1/2 years ago with "atypical" (mild) CF. We have made a lot of dietary changes and lifestyle changes and have both grown much healthier. He has not been on antibiotics in nearly 11 years. I have not been on antibiotics in over 5 years. We both got off digestive enzymes about 2 1/2 years ago. He has taken little or no medication in about 2 years. I have gotten off 8 or so prescription drugs and currently only take half a pill of OTC gauifenesin in the morning.

Through various online forums, I know a woman in her early 70's with CF. She eats carefully, takes supplements, does a lot of research, and was very well taken care of as a child. She was born with meconium ilis and has "severe" CF. She does a lot of the same things I do, like consuming sea salt. I am always excited to hear her say "I do that too". It is evidence that some of the stuff my son and I are doing can help other people with a more severe form of CF than what we have.

Through various online forums, I know a man in his late 70's. He also eats very carefully and is very pro-active about his own health care, though he is less into the "alternative" stuff than I am or than the woman in her early 70's.

I know of someone who used aggressive nutrition and alternative medicine to reverse antibiotic resistant PA in her son. (PA is a serious infection that people with CF often get.) I know of someone who went to a different doctor and was given an effective protocol for wiping out MRSA. I know of lots of people reading up on nutrition and making changes to their lives and seeing improvements that doctors tend to tell you "cannot happen".

When faced with a difficult problem, I generally do not listen to the majority of folks saying I should just give up because it's hopeless. Instead, I begin looking for examples of people who beat it and begin asking "HOW did they do that?" That approach has stood me in very good stead in the face of lots of difficulties, not just CF.

Peace. And congratulations on the birth of your baby.

MicheleGazelle

We are also scared for how long she will live. We are looking for some hope and a support system and are glad to have found this site.

These are some best case scenarios, not intended to suggest that this is what everyone can expect. I am replying with this info because you asked specifically for hope and encouragement. This is intended to help round out the picture for you, not intended to suggest that living with CF is a piece of cake.
---------

My oldest son and I were diagnosed about 7 1/2 years ago with "atypical" (mild) CF. We have made a lot of dietary changes and lifestyle changes and have both grown much healthier. He has not been on antibiotics in nearly 11 years. I have not been on antibiotics in over 5 years. We both got off digestive enzymes about 2 1/2 years ago. He has taken little or no medication in about 2 years. I have gotten off 8 or so prescription drugs and currently only take half a pill of OTC gauifenesin in the morning.

Through various online forums, I know a woman in her early 70's with CF. She eats carefully, takes supplements, does a lot of research, and was very well taken care of as a child. She was born with meconium ilis and has "severe" CF. She does a lot of the same things I do, like consuming sea salt. I am always excited to hear her say "I do that too". It is evidence that some of the stuff my son and I are doing can help other people with a more severe form of CF than what we have.

Through various online forums, I know a man in his late 70's. He also eats very carefully and is very pro-active about his own health care, though he is less into the "alternative" stuff than I am or than the woman in her early 70's.

I know of someone who used aggressive nutrition and alternative medicine to reverse antibiotic resistant PA in her son. (PA is a serious infection that people with CF often get.) I know of someone who went to a different doctor and was given an effective protocol for wiping out MRSA. I know of lots of people reading up on nutrition and making changes to their lives and seeing improvements that doctors tend to tell you "cannot happen".

When faced with a difficult problem, I generally do not listen to the majority of folks saying I should just give up because it's hopeless. Instead, I begin looking for examples of people who beat it and begin asking "HOW did they do that?" That approach has stood me in very good stead in the face of lots of difficulties, not just CF.

MicheleGazelle

---------

MicheleGazelle

I guess we are looking for words of encouragement right now </end quote>

---------

MicheleGazelle

<br />We are also scared for how long she will live. We are looking for some hope and a support system and are glad to have found this site.
<br />
<br />I guess we are looking for words of encouragement right now </end quote>
<br />
<br />These are some best case scenarios, not intended to suggest that this is what everyone can expect. I am replying with this info because you asked specifically for hope and encouragement. This is intended to help round out the picture for you, not intended to suggest that living with CF is a piece of cake.
<br />---------
<br />
<br />My oldest son and I were diagnosed about 7 1/2 years ago with "atypical" (mild) CF. We have made a lot of dietary changes and lifestyle changes and have both grown much healthier. He has not been on antibiotics in nearly 11 years. I have not been on antibiotics in over 5 years. We both got off digestive enzymes about 2 1/2 years ago. He has taken little or no medication in about 2 years. I have gotten off 8 or so prescription drugs and currently only take half a pill of OTC gauifenesin in the morning.
<br />
<br />Through various online forums, I know a woman in her early 70's with CF. She eats carefully, takes supplements, does a lot of research, and was very well taken care of as a child. She was born with meconium ilis and has "severe" CF. She does a lot of the same things I do, like consuming sea salt. I am always excited to hear her say "I do that too". It is evidence that some of the stuff my son and I are doing can help other people with a more severe form of CF than what we have.
<br />
<br />Through various online forums, I know a man in his late 70's. He also eats very carefully and is very pro-active about his own health care, though he is less into the "alternative" stuff than I am or than the woman in her early 70's.
<br />
<br />I know of someone who used aggressive nutrition and alternative medicine to reverse antibiotic resistant PA in her son. (PA is a serious infection that people with CF often get.) I know of someone who went to a different doctor and was given an effective protocol for wiping out MRSA. I know of lots of people reading up on nutrition and making changes to their lives and seeing improvements that doctors tend to tell you "cannot happen".
<br />
<br />When faced with a difficult problem, I generally do not listen to the majority of folks saying I should just give up because it's hopeless. Instead, I begin looking for examples of people who beat it and begin asking "HOW did they do that?" That approach has stood me in very good stead in the face of lots of difficulties, not just CF.
<br />
<br />Peace. And congratulations on the birth of your baby.

Sheridan

First things first, congratulations on the birth of your little girl Maggie. One of the most important things to remember is that she is Maggie who happens to have CF. you need to think hard about how you plan to live your life. Do you want it ruled by CF where is makes every single decision you have or do you want to live your life and tag the CF along.

I have two boys with CF and yes we were devestated when Jordan was was diagnosed at 3 weeks. I waited and prayed for years that a phone call would come saying that they made a mistake - but it never came. We decided that we couldn't let him live in a bubble being afraid of germs and that he would get sick. We decided that that was no life for him. We took him everywhere; shopping, movies, restaurants, football games, friends houses etc. Jordan is now almost 9 and has not been sick in 3.5 years.

The best advice i can give is to do what everyone always says - write your question down and ask your CF team. Take notes we all know that this is a time when your head is not on straight and you are likely to forget the minute you leave the office. Read some updated books about CF - DO NOT read old stuff! Find a friend who has strong shoulders and cry your heart out it wont be the last time trust me, but it does help.

Write this down, so when they ask you questions you know the answers, Maggie pooped this many times it looked like this. Maggie had 6 bottles of 120mls or she breastfeed 6 times for 30 mins. If Maggie is your first, as Jordan was mine you probably wont ever know what normal baby poop looks like and you get that awful question are her poos normal - well how would I know is what your want to say. Take a photo and bring it in! Whats her cough sound like? is it dry or wet? Whats the difference - tape record it bring it in.

I had my second baby 18 months ago and he too has CF. It is so much easy now because I know the difference in coughs and poops.

Remember Maggie is a little girl who just happens to have CF and she loves you, her mommy.

Sheridan

First things first, congratulations on the birth of your little girl Maggie. One of the most important things to remember is that she is Maggie who happens to have CF. you need to think hard about how you plan to live your life. Do you want it ruled by CF where is makes every single decision you have or do you want to live your life and tag the CF along.

I have two boys with CF and yes we were devestated when Jordan was was diagnosed at 3 weeks. I waited and prayed for years that a phone call would come saying that they made a mistake - but it never came. We decided that we couldn't let him live in a bubble being afraid of germs and that he would get sick. We decided that that was no life for him. We took him everywhere; shopping, movies, restaurants, football games, friends houses etc. Jordan is now almost 9 and has not been sick in 3.5 years.

The best advice i can give is to do what everyone always says - write your question down and ask your CF team. Take notes we all know that this is a time when your head is not on straight and you are likely to forget the minute you leave the office. Read some updated books about CF - DO NOT read old stuff! Find a friend who has strong shoulders and cry your heart out it wont be the last time trust me, but it does help.

Write this down, so when they ask you questions you know the answers, Maggie pooped this many times it looked like this. Maggie had 6 bottles of 120mls or she breastfeed 6 times for 30 mins. If Maggie is your first, as Jordan was mine you probably wont ever know what normal baby poop looks like and you get that awful question are her poos normal - well how would I know is what your want to say. Take a photo and bring it in! Whats her cough sound like? is it dry or wet? Whats the difference - tape record it bring it in.

I had my second baby 18 months ago and he too has CF. It is so much easy now because I know the difference in coughs and poops.

Remember Maggie is a little girl who just happens to have CF and she loves you, her mommy.

Sheridan

Sheridan

Sheridan

<br />
<br />I have two boys with CF and yes we were devestated when Jordan was was diagnosed at 3 weeks. I waited and prayed for years that a phone call would come saying that they made a mistake - but it never came. We decided that we couldn't let him live in a bubble being afraid of germs and that he would get sick. We decided that that was no life for him. We took him everywhere; shopping, movies, restaurants, football games, friends houses etc. Jordan is now almost 9 and has not been sick in 3.5 years.
<br />
<br />The best advice i can give is to do what everyone always says - write your question down and ask your CF team. Take notes we all know that this is a time when your head is not on straight and you are likely to forget the minute you leave the office. Read some updated books about CF - DO NOT read old stuff! Find a friend who has strong shoulders and cry your heart out it wont be the last time trust me, but it does help.
<br />
<br />Write this down, so when they ask you questions you know the answers, Maggie pooped this many times it looked like this. Maggie had 6 bottles of 120mls or she breastfeed 6 times for 30 mins. If Maggie is your first, as Jordan was mine you probably wont ever know what normal baby poop looks like and you get that awful question are her poos normal - well how would I know is what your want to say. Take a photo and bring it in! Whats her cough sound like? is it dry or wet? Whats the difference - tape record it bring it in.
<br />
<br />I had my second baby 18 months ago and he too has CF. It is so much easy now because I know the difference in coughs and poops.
<br />
<br />Remember Maggie is a little girl who just happens to have CF and she loves you, her mommy.