new baby

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Hi Nancy, welcome to our family and congratulations on your new baby girl.

I have two teenage boys who are as normal as it gets. Yes, it is overwhelming when you get the diagnosis but take things a little at a time. Try not to overload yourself with information right away. We're here when you need us.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

I have two teenage boys who are as normal as it gets. Yes, it is overwhelming when you get the diagnosis but take things a little at a time. Try not to overload yourself with information right away. We're here when you need us.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader
<br />
<br />I have two teenage boys who are as normal as it gets. Yes, it is overwhelming when you get the diagnosis but take things a little at a time. Try not to overload yourself with information right away. We're here when you need us.

folione

My son with CF is nearing 6 years old; diagnosed at about a month. I want to put in a pitch for doing whatever "normal" things you want. My boy on average is healthier than most of his playmates and has been attending preschool since age 3 along with various gym classes, swimming, ice skating, nature-center classes...you name it. Sure he gets colds and sure, we worry every time he gets one. But the fun outweighs the worries...you just be sure to go get that fun.

And it is definitely easier to control things with a baby in a bucket than later on when she's ranging around grabbing everything in sight - regardless of the CF or not...so if you're itching to go out to eat, now is a great time.

folione

My son with CF is nearing 6 years old; diagnosed at about a month. I want to put in a pitch for doing whatever "normal" things you want. My boy on average is healthier than most of his playmates and has been attending preschool since age 3 along with various gym classes, swimming, ice skating, nature-center classes...you name it. Sure he gets colds and sure, we worry every time he gets one. But the fun outweighs the worries...you just be sure to go get that fun.

And it is definitely easier to control things with a baby in a bucket than later on when she's ranging around grabbing everything in sight - regardless of the CF or not...so if you're itching to go out to eat, now is a great time.

folione

folione

folione

<br />
<br />And it is definitely easier to control things with a baby in a bucket than later on when she's ranging around grabbing everything in sight - regardless of the CF or not...so if you're itching to go out to eat, now is a great time.

websterhome

Hi, I guess we're just a bit ahead of you... my daughter Lucia Grace "Lucy" was diagnosed at 6 days old & she's now 5 months. The past 5 months have been a learning curve with giving enzymes, salt, vitamins & Zantac as well as doing chest PT and going to CF clinic appointments as well as the normal well baby checks with our pediatrician. I feel lucky in that I'm a RN, I'm already comfortable with giving meds to babies... but it's much different when that baby is my own. With Lucy being born over Labor Day weekend, we were just entering into the fall... aka cold & flu season... I've been quite a homebody these last months, not going to the grocery store, gym, mall, church or large family gatherings because I'm just too protective of her getting sick. I know I'll eventually come out of this shell & be a bit more comfortable (today I cheated a bit from normal & we spent 30 min in a coffee shop meeting a friend), but for now it's relatively easy to protect her & overall so worth it. One doctor actually mentioned that keeping her free of colds this first winter could do as much as add 5 years to her life by lessening damage to her lungs. As soon as I heard this, I became a germaphob. We go through lots of the Costco version of Chlorox wipes & Purell hand gel. I'm careful about having people gel before holding her & we are never around people who have just been or currently are sick. It's such an emotional rollercoaster & sometimes seems so surreal because your baby looks absolutely perfectly healthy & happy - seems there's no way they could be "sick". I had a "lightbulb" moment the other day when our doctor had us start a new treatment (hypertonic saline through a nebulizer), at first I was emotional because it seemed to make the diagnosis even more real, but then I reminded myself that we're not doing these things because Lucy is ill, we're doing them because we want to keep her healthy & help her to live the longest, happiest, fullest life possible. My husband & I are already thinking about activities to do as a family that will be health-promoting for her - very excited to teach her to snowski, waterski, hike, play soccer,etc. I haven't met many people with CF in person, but from what I've read online, I completely agree that those kids/adults with CF are quite amazing - they have hearts of gold & a way of being compassionate & living life to the fullest that only comes from going through what they do. Please know that I'm thinking of you & praying that you ease into all of this as gracefully as possible. One thing I allowed myself is with every new med we started, I didn't expect myself to remember every dose at the perfect time the first week - it's really hard with a new baby to remember when you last gave this or that - believe me, it gets much easier as time goes by.
Blessings,
Christy

websterhome

Hi, I guess we're just a bit ahead of you... my daughter Lucia Grace "Lucy" was diagnosed at 6 days old & she's now 5 months. The past 5 months have been a learning curve with giving enzymes, salt, vitamins & Zantac as well as doing chest PT and going to CF clinic appointments as well as the normal well baby checks with our pediatrician. I feel lucky in that I'm a RN, I'm already comfortable with giving meds to babies... but it's much different when that baby is my own. With Lucy being born over Labor Day weekend, we were just entering into the fall... aka cold & flu season... I've been quite a homebody these last months, not going to the grocery store, gym, mall, church or large family gatherings because I'm just too protective of her getting sick. I know I'll eventually come out of this shell & be a bit more comfortable (today I cheated a bit from normal & we spent 30 min in a coffee shop meeting a friend), but for now it's relatively easy to protect her & overall so worth it. One doctor actually mentioned that keeping her free of colds this first winter could do as much as add 5 years to her life by lessening damage to her lungs. As soon as I heard this, I became a germaphob. We go through lots of the Costco version of Chlorox wipes & Purell hand gel. I'm careful about having people gel before holding her & we are never around people who have just been or currently are sick. It's such an emotional rollercoaster & sometimes seems so surreal because your baby looks absolutely perfectly healthy & happy - seems there's no way they could be "sick". I had a "lightbulb" moment the other day when our doctor had us start a new treatment (hypertonic saline through a nebulizer), at first I was emotional because it seemed to make the diagnosis even more real, but then I reminded myself that we're not doing these things because Lucy is ill, we're doing them because we want to keep her healthy & help her to live the longest, happiest, fullest life possible. My husband & I are already thinking about activities to do as a family that will be health-promoting for her - very excited to teach her to snowski, waterski, hike, play soccer,etc. I haven't met many people with CF in person, but from what I've read online, I completely agree that those kids/adults with CF are quite amazing - they have hearts of gold & a way of being compassionate & living life to the fullest that only comes from going through what they do. Please know that I'm thinking of you & praying that you ease into all of this as gracefully as possible. One thing I allowed myself is with every new med we started, I didn't expect myself to remember every dose at the perfect time the first week - it's really hard with a new baby to remember when you last gave this or that - believe me, it gets much easier as time goes by.
Blessings,
Christy

websterhome

Blessings,
Christy

websterhome

Blessings,
Christy

websterhome

<br />Blessings,
<br />Christy

websterhome

Hi I'm Lucy's Dad and just wanted to add something that in my opinion has helped us tremendously. "Optimism," I realize that it might not change the situation that we were being faced with, but I believe Lucy reacts to our positive energy. We found it helpful to mention this to family members so that she is raised as much as a normal kid as possible. Take care and my thoughts and prayers are with your family from another father of a beautiful baby with CF.

websterhome

Hi I'm Lucy's Dad and just wanted to add something that in my opinion has helped us tremendously. "Optimism," I realize that it might not change the situation that we were being faced with, but I believe Lucy reacts to our positive energy. We found it helpful to mention this to family members so that she is raised as much as a normal kid as possible. Take care and my thoughts and prayers are with your family from another father of a beautiful baby with CF.

websterhome

websterhome

websterhome